British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spin king

Sheffield 2014

Very good comeback - but has he got his visa???

Taylor should be fine with visa as he has had a year out

Had a chat with Leighs brother Nicki yesterday and he is confident they will have a good set up ready.

Leigh has been on Sean Wilson engines for the last couple of years so he should know whats needed.

My view from the Westcountry is a little different to Najjer's, I feel that the Sheffield team assembled is just as attractive as the Somerset side. It could even be better if Jason Doyle's situation isn't sorted. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think the Tigers certainly look a lot stronger than last season.

The big question now is have we got an air/foam fence, or the funds to acquire one?

If the new consortium haven't the funds and want assistance in raising some then (as already has been mentioned) why don't they make themselves known to the fans so we know who is running the show. It can only aid in getting things going in building a new era in Sheffield Speedway!

The consortium need to buy the club first! Italian Massimo Cellino might just snap it up instead!

The consortium need to buy the club first! Italian Massimo Cellino might just snap it up instead!

Don't tell Screeny then!!!

From today's Sheffield Star:-

David Hoggart says the new five-year deal for British Speedway with Sky Sports is a massive boost for the sport.

And the Tigers co-promoter has once again underlined how the club would love to stage a televised meeting at Owlerton. The cameras have only been to the venue, regarded as one of the best in British Speedway, twice since live coverage of the domestic sport began in 1999.

Sky were present when current Tigers team-mates Simon Stead and Andre Compton collided in a dramatic Premier League Riders’ Championship in 2004 – and a World Cup event in 2001. Now Hoggart says the consortium who are in the process of purchasing the club would lay out the red carpet for the broadcaster.

He said: “The Sky deal is excellent for the sport and members of the new consortium would be pleased to welcome them.

“Speedway needs to be promoted to a wider audience and there’s no better way than with TV coverage. This is a massive shot in the arm for the sport when it could easily have been lost. We must embrace the TV coverage more than ever. We have a British world champion and a Sky deal. We cannot ask for more than that.”

That's innacurate, I'm pretty sure the 2001 ELRC was live on Sky from Owlerton too.

wonder if they are sticking with a race card as i like them but a programme wouldn't bother me if thats the way they go

That's innacurate, I'm pretty sure the 2001 ELRC was live on Sky from Owlerton too.

Correct and Sky also showed the Tigers against Workington,so thats four times!

• Like 1

wonder if they are sticking with a race card as i like them but a programme wouldn't bother me if thats the way they go

Hope they stick with the race card - I wouldn't be spending 2 or 3 quid on a 'proper' programme full of adverts. Only use it to keep track of the score

• Like 6

just shows how much knowledge and memory cells hoggy has left. is this really the guy who for so long was a master of every thing...

still 2 out of 4 aint bad for an old geezer.

Edited by jenga

Joe Screen insists Barnsley teenager Josh Bates is ready for Premier League racing.

Bates has been snapped up by Sheffield as one of their reserves for the new season after securing his release from Elite League Swindon.

And Screen, Sheffield’s new team manager, is relishing the prospect of working with the youngster. He said: “I think I can offer some good advice and coaching to Josh.

“When we first started talking about my role at Sheffield it was mainly about coaching the riders and then it snowballed into being a team manager.

“Josh is very young and has just come through the National League, but he’s got talent and ability and that’s the most important thing.He’s had Louis Carr working with him and Louis knows so much about the sport, I hope I can also contribute and help make him better.

“Riders like Simon Stead, Leigh Lanham and Andre Compton have been there and seen it all before. All I can do with them is offer my opinion on bike set-up and things like that.

“But with the younger lads like Taylor Poole, Adam Roynon and Josh Bates I would like to think I can make a difference with their career.”

Screen has been overwhelmed by the messages of support he’s received since his appointment last month.

“It’s been amazing,” he said. “I just want the season to start now because there is so much enthusiasm around the place. I can’t thank everyone enough for the kind messages I’ve received on joining Sheffield.”

Joe Screen insists Barnsley teenager Josh Bates is ready for Premier League racing.

Bates has been snapped up by Sheffield as one of their reserves for the new season after securing his release from Elite League Swindon.

And Screen, Sheffield’s new team manager, is relishing the prospect of working with the youngster. He said: “I think I can offer some good advice and coaching to Josh.

“When we first started talking about my role at Sheffield it was mainly about coaching the riders and then it snowballed into being a team manager.

“Josh is very young and has just come through the National League, but he’s got talent and ability and that’s the most important thing.He’s had Louis Carr working with him and Louis knows so much about the sport, I hope I can also contribute and help make him better.

“Riders like Simon Stead, Leigh Lanham and Andre Compton have been there and seen it all before. All I can do with them is offer my opinion on bike set-up and things like that.

“But with the younger lads like Taylor Poole, Adam Roynon and Josh Bates I would like to think I can make a difference with their career.”

Screen has been overwhelmed by the messages of support he’s received since his appointment last month.

“It’s been amazing,” he said. “I just want the season to start now because there is so much enthusiasm around the place. I can’t thank everyone enough for the kind messages I’ve received on joining Sheffield.”

The more and more I think about it I think the signing of getting Screeny in as Team Manager/ Team Coach is a mater stroke.

If young riders cannot learn from Big Joe then they will never learn.

I think along with Simon Stead as Team Captain they will get the going. I think that they will work very well together.

For the first time since the start of the 2011 season I am really looking forward to the start of the season.

• Like 1