British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spin king

Sheffield 2014

Ok, if we have nothing to talk about why don't we speculate as to who the new consortium consists of?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Hunters from SWC are one of the parties along with Wosscow Brown.....pure speculation though.

Did hear those names mentioned before the take over.

• Like 1

Has anyone else noticed that the 'Legends night' on 5th March clashes with England's 1st pre World cup warm up with Denmark. Think that might have an effect on the turn out. Can't understand why it's not on a usualThursday night - race night! Unless there's something else on. They put the press & practice back a week for the Cheltenham Festival.

I'd have thought admission prices would have been released by now, more so season tickets and start generating income before new season.

I'd have thought admission prices would have been released by now, more so season tickets and start generating income before new season.

Probably will be announced once the takeover has been completed ??? Edited by Tigerite

Probably will be announced once the takeover has been completed ???

well they could not announce signings until takeover was completed, so i am guessing it is complete based on that.

I am not having a go, just thought it might be something they would be keen to sort and advertise with just over a month before start of season.

Has anyone else noticed that the 'Legends night' on 5th March clashes with England's 1st pre World cup warm up with Denmark. Think that might have an effect on the turn out. Can't understand why it's not on a usualThursday night - race night! Unless there's something else on. They put the press & practice back a week for the Cheltenham Festival.

They had the Gold cup on live at the stadium and have the bar open. They ran the same day once and it was a total mess.

From today's Sheffield Star.

Barnsley based Damien Bates is to hand in an application to become a club co-promoter at Sheffield.

Bates, 32, will work alongside Owlerton boss David Hoggart who pulled the new consortium together to take over from Neil Machin.

Former Newport promoter Peter Mole, a dentist in the West Midlands, is part of the group along with accountant and photographer Simon Parker.

And Bates has revealed how it’s an amazing turn of events after he first watched Sheffield at the time Machin rescued the club in 1992.

He said: “My Dad took me to Owlerton when Neil had first bought it, that was the first time I had been to watch Sheffield as a kid. As a group we have a lot of enthusiasm, we have some fresh ideas and we are happy to listen to the fans – they’ve already given us some good feedback on social media.

“We are going to revamp the race jacket, we are looking to changing the music in our presentation and will work tirelessly to get out there and promote the name of Sheffield Speedway once again. Neil did a fabulous job, but things weren’t easy over the last couple of seasons. We need to inject some passion and desire back into the place.

“The club will apply for me to become a promoter, I’m pleased about that because I’m based locally and David is extremely busy with other roles he has right now, so I can help out. I’ve got the time to put into the role, we are already raising funds for the new air barrier and things seem to be heading in the right direction.”

The deal was completed earlier this week and members of the new consortium will meet supporters at a meeting tonight at the nearby New Barrack Tavern.

Hoggart will retain his role on the sport’s management committee as well as co-ordinating the major events and working on his Sheffield duties.

British great Joe Screen was unveiled as the new team manager last month in an exciting move for the club.

Facundo Albin has had his racing license suspended by the Argentinian authorities following a 'bust up' with an official.

As a supporter who turns 64 next month, I am delighted to see that the new promoter is only half my age. Let's hope that a young, fresh approach will be successful in transforming speedway in Sheffield from the "sport of granddads" into something that will once again captivate and inspire the young.

• Like 2

Well i hope all goes well but will not be buying my season ticket now too late and been waiting with no news. I really do hope its a good year and am glad it all running. ;)

As a supporter who turns 64 next month, I am delighted to see that the new promoter is only half my age. Let's hope that a young, fresh approach will be successful in transforming speedway in Sheffield from the "sport of granddads" into something that will once again captivate and inspire the young.

That would explain the huge font on your posts! ;)

Edited by Travertine