British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spin king

Sheffield 2014

Looks like we are back to the same old same old.

A new promotion has moved in and we are all back to moaning about Season tickets, programmes, airfence.

These guys have just spent a fortune buying the club, bringing in new riders, and all this in a very difficult financial time.

People think they should get every thing for nothing, the new promotion are not a charity. These are buisness men saving our speedway club, and trying to build a future.

It's not F1 or Premier league soccer, we don't ven get the crowds of non-league soccer.

Shout too loud at these guys and they may just say, whats the point in trying. They won't get it all right first time, but with the time scale they have, I don't think it's going too bad.

• Like 8

In this week's Speedway Star - the race card is being replaced by a newly designed programme.

More than happy with the free one personally.

I hate the racecard, it offers nothing except something to fill in which i don't do anyway because as long as i know main score then i can find all rider scores when announced after and then internet and speedway star.

Just a quick random selection, but it just goes to prove, whatever they do, they will be doing it 'wrong' in some peoples eyes.

They might go down the Scunthorpe route, £1 for two sheets of A4 stapled together, with the racecard in the middle, a couple of adverts, a write-up by Rob G and the Fixtures/Results on the back?

They may do what the likes of Newcastle do, a proper 'Magazine' for £2.50, in full colour, packed full of write-ups (George English, Rantin' Roy etc.), Stats page, a 'Spot the Difference' etc., etc.

But, as I say, whatever route they go down, it'll be wrong. All they are trying to do is 'freshen it up a bit.' New broom and all that.

Good luck them, I hope it's a roaring success.

• Like 2

A new promotion has moved in and we are all back to moaning about Season tickets, programmes, airfence.

These guys have just spent a fortune buying the club, bringing in new riders, and all this in a very difficult financial time.

People think they should get every thing for nothing, the new promotion are not a charity. These are buisness men saving our speedway club, and trying to build a future.

It's not F1 or Premier league soccer, we don't ven get the crowds of non-league soccer.

Shout too loud at these guys and they may just say, whats the point in trying. They won't get it all right first time, but with the time scale they have, I don't think it's going too bad.

All people are doing is giving the new promotion ideas of what different fans like and would want, dont think anybody is having a go at them and the season ticket price is not great value but its upto people if they buy them or not.

I hope they do give the club a much more professional look for sure and so far hearing all good things.

So dont dig at fans for sharing ideas/wants that would make their thursday night expierience better for them,problem with Machin towards end is he refused to listen and well watch where crowds went, lets hope new promotion, fresh ideas and not afraid to interact with fans will bring a much better expierience and a better club overall.

Edited by AndyK
  • Like 2

All they can do is try there best. Nothing wrong with getting it wrong but it is making sure they listen to the fans after doing it wrong and not making the same mistakes again!

Why not try dropping the race card and give programmes ago. Not for me but all they can do is try.

Personally for two people to watch 15 heats of speedway at £32 it just too expensive / value for money so don't go as often as we used to. But that just me.

• Like 1

#######Shout too loud at these guys and they may just say, whats the point in trying. #######They won't get it all right first time, but with the time scale they have, I don't think it's going too bad.

the alternative being- slip away without saying a word and they're lost forever ..... which do you think a 'business' would prefer ????

yours faithfully, DEVILS ADVOCATE

the alternative being- slip away without saying a word and they're lost forever ..... which do you think a 'business' would prefer ????

yours faithfully, DEVILS ADVOCATE

I understand what is being said, and I am not saying all the new promotion is doing is right.

It just takes time and some times to get it right you have to make a mistake or two along the way. I think the main problem we are seeing here is a very limited time, from buying to opening night.

Fingers crossed for the future and all that is said on hear is listened to and taken on board in the spirit it is meant and not as critisism.

Yours Devils advocates friend.

• Like 1

Yeah yeah yeah at least we got a club to support now that these fantastic individuals have saved it, give them a chance everyone's got opinions but they put their money where their mouth is.

• Like 2

On web site today - new management hoping to stage a minimum of 25 meetings this year which makes a £300 season ticket look like a worthy investment!

BTW not seen it mentioned anywhere, but Taylor Poole tweeted earlier in the week that he's got his visa - good news eh!

Re the programme

The race card obviously costs the club money, drop the race card, keep admission prices the same and let anyone who wants to spend extra on a programme do so.

no one has to buy it, we will get one between the two of us instead of the club paying for two race cards,

how many race cards do you see lying around the terraces and the panarama room after a meeting, either not filled in or just not wanted?

lets not argue against change just because we dont like change, lets give it a go then comment

How about this for an idea, meeting programme charge £2.50, on the front of the programme is a number and that will be your raffle number for evening and 50p out of programme cost goes to prize fund or 50/50 half for prize and half into rider fund for spares or just to air fence.

Makes the programme quite a good thing to buy then :)

• Like 1

The race card has served its purpose, but for me it is time to move on and ditch it.

Question is how many race cards actually get filled in, when me and SKJ go we get two racecards yet only one gets filled in, which really is a waste of time and energy for the Promotion.

One thing I was going to suggest before the new Promotion made the decision to go with a a programme was to.:

Stick with the race card.and have a monthly Fanzine type publication, that might satisfy both sets of fans those who would like the traditional programme and those who would like to see the racecard stay.

The racecard may cost a little to produce, but I would assume that it also creates revenue from the advertisements on it (possibly leaving the management in profit).

On the website today, encouraging the purchase of season tickets, the link to the page giving information clearly states a racecard is included whether you have a season ticket, or pay on the day.

Can anyone confirm, but I seem to remember, several years ago there was a monthly magazine on sale at the track shop.

• Like 1

Programmes suck, race cards rule! If you want news buy the speedway star - more content, more up to date and you don't get the same copy 6 months later with a crapy paper insert in the middle when there has been a rain off. I for 1 won't paying anything like £2.50 for 10 pages of adverts and the inevitable out of date team bios just so that I can keep track of the score. Sod that for a game of soldiers.

All in my most humble opinion of course, people with money to burn will no doubt disagree with me and welcome spending the additional money every week.

Programmes suck, race cards rule! If you want news buy the speedway star - more content, more up to date and you don't get the same copy 6 months later with a crapy paper insert in the middle when there has been a rain off. I for 1 won't paying anything like £2.50 for 10 pages of adverts and the inevitable out of date team bios just so that I can keep track of the score. Sod that for a game of soldiers.

All in my most humble opinion of course, people with money to burn will no doubt disagree with me and welcome spending the additional money every week.

When did you see the new Sheffield programme?

You must have seen it as you seem to know about it.

Just going by pretty much every other programme in the country. I did say that it is my opinion.

Some are better than others, but on the whole they don't give as much news/information as the star and only cost marginally less. For me a programme is something to be disposed of at the end of a meeting and I don't often choose to throw £1, £2 or £3 away, which is what I would effectively be doing as I personally only use the race card to keep track of the score, I don't intend to pay for that privilege.

You disagree Spinny and that's fine just stating my feelings on the matter.