British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spin king

Sheffield 2014

Great to see Tiger Cubs entered in the Midland Development League this year, something I really missed last year, watching second half racing. Mind you it probably would have been better than the actual meetings on some nights!

Edited by Steve55

Great to see Tiger Cubs entered in the Midland Development League this year, something I really missed last year, watching second half racing. Mind you it probably would have been better than the actual meetings on some nights!

Idea: Why not stage the Development League races in the "interval" after heat 12, ensuring more people get to see the the youngsters having a go?

• Like 1

Idea: Why not stage the Development League races in the "interval" after heat 12, ensuring more people get to see the the youngsters having a go?

The problem arises that if one of them has a crash and takes out the fence or needs a trip to hospital, it messes up the main fixture. As people are in the main paying to see the senior team, nothing should be done to jeopardise that meeting being completed or it being unnecessarily held up (in my opinion).

• Like 3

The problem arises that if one of them has a crash and takes out the fence or needs a trip to hospital, it messes up the main fixture. As people are in the main paying to see the senior team, nothing should be done to jeopardise that meeting being completed or it being unnecessarily held up (in my opinion).

Not only that, I'd imagine the track staff fancy a break as well!

• Like 2

In the Sheffield Star:-

Joe Screen has thanked Sheffield for keeping him involved in speedway after ending his riding career last year.

The former British Champion is entering his first job in management after the new consortium taking charge at Owlerton made their move before Christmas.

And he’s thrilled to stay in a sport he loves having started as a schoolboy racer at Belle Vue in 1988.

Screen said: “I want to thank Sheffield for keeping me involved in the sport. Speedway is a sport I love and I would have been sad to leave it.

When I retired, initially I had an open mind on things and it looked at one stage as though I was going to be working with a rider, but that didn’t work out for various reasons.

When the call came from Sheffield, I was really pleased and it means I stay in speedway which is great for me.

I’m only recently retired too so I can relate to the riders and I’m really excited by the challenge ahead.”

Screen will put his riders through their paces at Owlerton this Thursday when the club host their press and practice session from 4.30pm.

He said: “I’ve already seen some of the lads in practice at Scunthorpe and we’ve had a couple of really good sessions.

But I’m looking forward to seeing them at Owlerton on Thursday, it will be good to get all the lads together on our own circuit.”

I can't remember a Sheffield team previously having pre-season practice sessions together (prior to the press and practice day at least). They seem to have had a few sessions this year already - judging by team member comments on twitter, it's been great for team spirit and can only be a good thing for people like Bates and Nielson to gain experience from the older riders without the pressure of people watching etc

• Like 3

I don't know if the rule is still in place, but it used to be against the rules to run a 'meeting' or even have races during an interval. The whole point of an Interval is to allow track work and while that is going on a chance for the track staff and fans to get a bit of food/cup of tea/take a 'natural' break etc.

• Like 1

I can't remember a Sheffield team previously having pre-season practice sessions together (prior to the press and practice day at least). They seem to have had a few sessions this year already - judging by team member comments on twitter, it's been great for team spirit and can only be a good thing for people like Bates and Nielson to gain experience from the older riders without the pressure of people watching etc

Someone said they were practising around Sheffield too last night!!! I received a text which read " open your door and you will hear them". Thats probably because they know its gonna be chucking it down all day Thursday!!

Someone said they were practising around Sheffield too last night!!! I received a text which read " open your door and you will hear them". Thats probably because they know its gonna be chucking it down all day Thursday!!

They were. I could hear em whilst I was in college!

I don't know if the rule is still in place, but it used to be against the rules to run a 'meeting' or even have races during an interval. The whole point of an Interval is to allow track work and while that is going on a chance for the track staff and fans to get a bit of food/cup of tea/take a 'natural' break etc.

I think it still is. I remember when Swindon were in the PL, and we were the visitors, I was astounded to see junior races/meeting being held between the PL heats but it must have been allowed by the ref, as the junior races were on the training track inside the full speedway track.

Another piece in the Sheffield Star:-

Neil Machin insists he will leave the new consortium in charge of Sheffield Tigers to run the club their way.

The former owner, who has sold out to Damien Bates, Peter Mole and Simon Parker, is to retain his licence with the British Speedway Promoters’ Association and act as an advisor to the new Owlerton bosses.

And he insists they are the right people to take the club forward with the enthusiasm he had 20 years ago.

“I’d like to wish the consortium members all the very best and their enthusiasm reminds me very much of myself 20-years ago,” he said.

“I’m looking forward to it because it means I can enjoy my speedway without any pressure and I am there if they need me for any advice or opinion if they so want that. I have the benefit of a lot of experience but in many ways Sheffield Speedway runs itself on a race night with all the loyal track staff the club has.

These guys in charge are the right people to take the club forward. They have good ideas and bags of enthusiasm which I like to see.”

Tigers riders will be put through their paces in public for the first time at Owlerton on Thursday from 4.30pm. The team were together yesterday when they had another behind-closed-doors practice.

There are some photos' on @Tigers Speedway twitter of a 'closed doors' session where all the team were on track, plus Joe Screen. Steady let Ryan Rhodes have a go too.

No sight of an air fence though!