British Speedway Forum

as a lakeside regular it's good to hear some news from the hammers managment, who have been largely quiet since the last home meeting on august 23rd!.

From the Lakeside website-Representatives of the Vortex Hammers travel to Coventry for this year’s British Speedway Promoters Association’s AGM, hopeful that the sports leaders will oversee a return to more regular racing and also banish the unpopular Tactical Ride rule to history.

Vortex Hammers Co-Promoter Jon Cook commented: “There is no getting away from the fact that this is the most important AGM of modern times and a real opportunity to bring about changes that will put British Speedway, its fans and its own riders first.

Whilst we await the conclusion of TV contract talks, the period has given us time throughout the sport to reflect on both the good and bad elements that have evolved ever since the Elite clubs made the decision in 1997 to form a league to secure TV coverage, which was achieved a year later.”

He continued “For our own club and many others, we are now running at too large an expense per meeting and as a result of other clubs wishes, have reduced our league programme to below a level acceptable to our landlords, our riders, who don’t have the luxury of riding in multiple leagues, our sponsors and most importantly our fans.

The problem we now have is that expense is too great to add in another half a dozen meetings at the current levels, as we have all got business plans dependent upon dividing our off-track revenues by 14 meetings and not 20.

Therefore, real change is required to return to regular Friday speedway, regardless of what future TV contracts bring to the sport. That is our priority over the coming weekend. At the very least we want three meetings a month with the fourth week free for potential rain offs.

Team strengths should be secondary to that need. Let the riders that want to commit to British speedway first and foremost and not hide behind the international calendar when it suits, be our priority too.

And finally let’s throw the Tactical Ride rule in the bin. The greatest promoter of all time, speedways father, Johnnie Hoskins used to set fire to his hat. I think we should start the 2014 season with a ceremonial burning of the black and white helmet colour from Plymouth to Edinburgh and every track in between.”

Fair play to Jon Cook for nailing his colours to the mast before the AGM. I think most fans will agree with his sentiments so lets hope none of the others torpedo it. Based on what Cookie said over the mic in the summer I daresay CVS and Matt Ford are of the same mind.

The sport is now drinking in the Last Chance Saloon. Let's hope that between them they pull it off.

Clever use of words but he doesn't actually say very much other than he wants to get rid of a rule that doesn't cost them anything but significantly favours the top heavy teams when racing more balanced teams.

The bottom line re costs is they pay more out than they receive and until that's addressed nothing will change, doubling up will very likely stay because we just don't seem to have enough riders to fill all the teams in both the EL and PL.

Personally I can live with missing some of the leagues top riders if they won't ride for the reduced pay rates but cutting the team limit down just isn't the answer.

Clever use of words but he doesn't actually say very much other than he wants to get rid of a rule that doesn't cost them anything but significantly favours the top heavy teams when racing more balanced teams.

The bottom line re costs is they pay more out than they receive and until that's addressed nothing will change, doubling up will very likely stay because we just don't seem to have enough riders to fill all the teams in both the EL and PL.

Personally I can live with missing some of the leagues top riders if they won't ride for the reduced pay rates but cutting the team limit down just isn't the answer.

I am sure the cost of regularly 'flying in' foreign based riders is a significant issue and reducing the number of same will go some way to reducing expenses. The key question will be - are there enough bodies around to to fill the spaces left?

It is pleasing to note that the greater good of speedway is in Jon's mind rather than everyone acceding to the wishes/needs of a minority of clubs.

Hopefully, the 'black and white' will be consigned to the dustbin of history.

It may not be necessary to cut the points limit. If, as Cook seems to be hinting, every rider has to commit to a full British season without disappearing for big international meetings abroad in preference to EL matches, all the top earners will be gone anyway so presumably they could build to a limit of say 42 without breaking the bank, and we could still be left with some decent riders like perhaps Peter Karlsson and Rory Schlein, possibly even Kenny Bjerre, who says he wants to ride here. Depends what is finally agreed.

CLearly cost control is the priority in all three leagues because a number are saying that won't run again at the present level of losses. If Eastbourne lost £70,000 last year, and Peterborough lost £100,000 as has been publicised, then without the Sky income those losses would be £170,000+ and £200,000+ which would be unsustainable even for wealthy men like Frost and Dugard. At the same time with average attendances of 770 for Eastbourne and 700 for Peterborough Dugard and Frost are astute enough to know they can't afford to lose any more support. I don't know about Bellevue but I presume their figures are equally as dire and the problems at Swindon and Brum are well publicised so personally I think that they all must know that they have to work together and things have moved on since 2010.

I am sure the cost of regularly 'flying in' foreign based riders is a significant issue and reducing the number of same will go some way to reducing expenses. The key question will be - are there enough bodies around to to fill the spaces left?

It is pleasing to note that the greater good of speedway is in Jon's mind rather than everyone acceding to the wishes/needs of a minority of clubs.

Hopefully, the 'black and white' will be consigned to the dustbin of history.

I would even volunteer to come down from Sunderland to set fire to the bl**dy thing. :mad: :mad:

It appears that there is someone in Speedway, after all, who recognises how unpopular the Tactical Ride is among swathes of Supporters throughout Speedway. :t::approve: :approve:

• Like 1

I would even volunteer to come down from Sunderland to set fire to the bl**dy thing. :mad: :mad:

It appears that there is someone in Speedway, after all, who recognises how unpopular the Tactical Ride is among swathes of Supporters throughout Speedway. :t::approve: :approve:

Lets be honest its just tac rides on the cheap, the only ones that like it are teams with big hitters who can work it to their advantage and sky.

Should never have been brought introduced in the first place.

• Like 4

Full credit to the Lakeside promotion for stating publicly what their hopes are for 2014.......I think it sums up most peoples hopes.....

• Like 3

I believe once again Jon has it right ! I hope it goes his way.

Looking like we are going to be paying the same price with lower standard teams. The same plan we have had for the last ten years ,of course it never saves money because less people watch it .

• Like 2

Looking like we are going to be paying the same price with lower standard teams. The same plan we have had for the last ten years ,of course it never saves money because less people watch it .

........................... and conversely - if you spend money you haven't got - you go BUST!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :icon_smile_clown:

I think it's a good idea that the club are doing a post AGM with the fans next friday. Top promotion

A very praiseworthy effort from Lakeside - wouldn't it be good if all the other Promoters followed suit. :t::approve::approve:

• Like 2

Would we be happy with this team

Nicholls 7.19

Bridger 6.30

Swiderski 6.22

Lawson 4.80

Watt 7.46

total 31.97 plus reserves

Edited by Speedwaycrazy