British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

King's Lynn Stars 2014

It does seem very unfair when teams in the play offs lose heat leaders and can't replace them. Belle Vue lost Bjerre after finishing top of the league in 2005 and then lost the play off final.

However, we all know what would happen if replacements were allowed. Certain teams would produce medical certificates for off form riders or, riders who do not do well at a particular track and replace them with horses for courses.

• Like 4

when is the latest this meeting can run? if it perhaps rains heavily on Tuesday could it be re run next week............then we will be home from our hols.............and riders could be fitter/available..............

We'll have from next Wednesday to Sunday as cut off is Monday and we're already away to Belle Vue that day. We can run it after then but it won't count towards the play-Off positions and we really need top spot.

First I wish Kenneth all the best for a full and speedy recovery.

Even as he flew thro the air last night I feared it would hit Lynn hard. KB is the type of rider who takes time to come back from injury so it doesn't bode well for the play offs.

As for Tuesday, and indeed the play offs if necessary, KB is easier to replace than NKI. All is not yet lost for Lynn. Whilst I wouldn't wish injuries on anyone the Coventry and Swindon riders have a fair few meetings before the play-offs to come, so all could change massively by the semi finals.

Yeah I am a glass full kind of gal :D

I said at Coventry, to some Coventry fans that we would lose there by 20 I was 6 out :sad: . I also said I expect Coventry to win the play offs and I stand by that, especially if there even a few spots of drizzle for the semis and the final.

Like many others I've always been against the play-offs, saw on BBC this morning that in Rugby there is an Elite Winners Shield and also play offs. Is the concept too difficult for the BSPA to understand?

• Like 2

First I wish Kenneth all the best for a full and speedy recovery.

Even as he flew thro the air last night I feared it would hit Lynn hard. KB is the type of rider who takes time to come back from injury so it doesn't bode well for the play offs.

As for Tuesday, and indeed the play offs if necessary, KB is easier to replace than NKI. All is not yet lost for Lynn. Whilst I wouldn't wish injuries on anyone the Coventry and Swindon riders have a fair few meetings before the play-offs to come, so all could change massively by the semi finals.

Yeah I am a glass full kind of gal :D

I said at Coventry, to some Coventry fans that we would lose there by 20 I was 6 out :sad: . I also said I expect Coventry to win the play offs and I stand by that, especially if there even a few spots of drizzle for the semis and the final.

Like many others I've always been against the play-offs, saw on BBC this morning that in Rugby there is an Elite Winners Shield and also play offs. Is the concept too difficult for the BSPA to understand?

But they are not League winners though that is also decided in a playoff situation.

But they are not League winners though that is also decided in a playoff situation.

Spot on .Just like Rugby not one would turn up to the play offs unless a title was up for grabs .

Well I may have got the name wrong but I understood Aunty Beeb to say they had won a shield. So I blame them, it's probably because it seems all their journalistic staff are on a jolly in Scotland :wink:

We'll have from next Wednesday to Sunday as cut off is Monday and we're already away to Belle Vue that day. We can run it after then but it won't count towards the play-Off positions and we really need top spot.

Why do you really need top spot? The only thing it gives you is choice of teams and, given your current woes, I can't see you wanting to pick any of the other 3 teams now.

• Like 1

Why do you really need top spot? The only thing it gives you is choice of teams and, given your current woes, I can't see you wanting to pick any of the other 3 teams now.

I think if we get top spot it will give the Lynn fans the satisfaction of knowing they have been the best team over the course of the regular league season.

In reality with what has happened in the last 2 weeks we are now 4th favourites to win the play-offs.

• Like 4

Even though we are probably fourth favourites that's no reason to chuck in the towel.....finishing top and thus having the choice to avoid Swindon and Poole gives us a better chance, albeit meaning a tough tie against Coventry, although I think riding them gives us the best chance as they don't ride Lynn as well as Swindon or Poole. If we can manage to get to the final anything can then happen with injuries etc.

Plus as has been mentioned there is also the prestige of finishing top.

• Like 1

I think if we get top spot it will give the Lynn fans the satisfaction of knowing they have been the best team over the course of the regular league season.

In reality with what has happened in the last 2 weeks we are now 4th favourites to win the play-offs.

Absolutely! We already know that we've been the best team in the league throughout 95% of the season, and finishing top would confirm it.

Play-offs are just a money-spinning mickey-mouse knock-out competition over a few weeks.

• Like 2

Absolutely! We already know that we've been the best team in the league throughout 95% of the season, and finishing top would confirm it.

Play-offs are just a money-spinning mickey-mouse knock-out competition over a few weeks.

Hardly Mickey Mouse ..no one cares who comes top of the league the play offs is all that matters .

• Like 1

Sorry - have to disagree. The league campaign is a qualifying competition - to top the league means nothing - it doesn't mean you were the best team over the season and the only reward you get for finishing top is to pick who you race against!

Sorry - have to disagree. The league campaign is a qualifying competition - to top the league means nothing - it doesn't mean you were the best team over the season and the only reward you get for finishing top is to pick who you race against!

He said the 'regular' season, there is no doubt that finishing top of the table makes a team the best across the regular season. It just doesn't make them champions, the Play Offs must be won to achieve that.

While orion is right that many people don't care who finishes top, as a fan of the team who has been top of the pile nearly all year I'd say it very much matters to me that we finish top, whatever may happen thereafter.

• Like 2

He said the 'regular' season, there is no doubt that finishing top of the table makes a team the best across the regular season. It just doesn't make them champions, the Play Offs must be won to achieve that.

While orion is right that many people don't care who finishes top, as a fan of the team who has been top of the pile nearly all year I'd say it very much matters to me that we finish top, whatever may happen thereafter.

Of course there is a doubt! The aim of the 'regular' season is to finish in the top 4. Finishing top does NOT make you the best team over the season - ask any other team that have been in that position before - Swindon, Poole, Birmingham etc.

Now, whether I think it is right or not is another question. I have always believed that whoever finishes top should be the champions and then the top 4 do the play-offs - BUT that is not how it is. While it is the way it is - top of the league does not equate to the best team!