British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

King's Lynn Stars 2014

Lynn have never ever been top of Elite League or when it was just the plain old British League, so for me it would be a massive positive. People outside of Lynn maybe won't remember it but I'm sure Lynn fans will. As for the play-offs I think a lot of Stars fans aren't expecting to win the thing, so any progress will be taken as a bonus

• Like 1

I also want to say that KL were my tip to win it this year (and still can) but as with last year the injury curse will possibly impact this.

Looking at the play offs, outside of Swindon, I would still want KL to win

• Like 3

Some clearly have no idea what they're talking about. It's absolutely imperative we finish top of the pile as Coventry in the semi's is our only hope and it gives us the 2nd leg at home.

If Poole top the table that will be them picking us or Coventry and our 1st leg at home and much less chance of getting through.

Finish top for me isn't about being the best or 'the real league winners' etc that some talk about. It's about giving us the best chance to win the title. To do that we have to finish top and pick Coventry.

Then there's a chance Poole and Swindon knock 7 bells out of each other and it's back on for us if we make the final.

Of course there is a doubt! The aim of the 'regular' season is to finish in the top 4. Finishing top does NOT make you the best team over the season - ask any other team that have been in that position before - Swindon, Poole, Birmingham etc.

Now, whether I think it is right or not is another question. I have always believed that whoever finishes top should be the champions and then the top 4 do the play-offs - BUT that is not how it is. While it is the way it is - top of the league does not equate to the best team!

Very little doubt for me. There is a saying in football that 'the table doesn't lie' and I think its true, you finish where you deserve to. Riders want to score as many points as they can to earn more money and clubs want to finish as high as they can to get more preferable semi final opponents. Unless you are telling me that sometimes teams don't care whether they win or not then whoever finishes top after 32 matches is the best team in the regular season. The Play Offs are a different matter altogether.

Some clearly have no idea what they're talking about. It's absolutely imperative we finish top of the pile as Coventry in the semi's is our only hope and it gives us the 2nd leg at home.

If Poole top the table that will be them picking us or Coventry and our 1st leg at home and much less chance of getting through.

Finish top for me isn't about being the best or 'the real league winners' etc that some talk about. It's about giving us the best chance to win the title. To do that we have to finish top and pick Coventry.

Then there's a chance Poole and Swindon knock 7 bells out of each other and it's back on for us if we make the final.

Coventry fans seem to also want King's Lynn so maybe we can help you by beating Poole tomorrow night :)

• Like 1

What a load of old rubbish. Regardless of the wording, or the name of a competition, winning a 4 team play-off can be called what they like. to be called Champions is just a word that means nothing... The best team of the season is the one that finished top of the league. a competition that stretches 7 months and includes 150 matches.

Just because the BSPA come up with an stupid idea to generate an extra meetings for the tele, at the cost of demeaning the league structure doesn't make it right. With decisions like that, can you wonder why people are leaving in their droves.

The league don't lie, But anybody can win a four team tournament. Especially when half the teams are made up of guests .... What a Joke this sport is..........

• Like 6

What a load of old rubbish. Regardless of the wording, or the name of a competition, winning a 4 team play-off can be called what they like. to be called Champions is just a word that means nothing... The best team of the season is the one that finished top of the league. a competition that stretches 7 months and includes 150 matches.

Just because the BSPA come up with an stupid idea to generate an extra meetings for the tele, at the cost of demeaning the league structure doesn't make it right. With decisions like that, can you wonder why people are leaving in their droves.

The league don't lie, But anybody can win a four team tournament. Especially when half the teams are made up of guests .... What a Joke this sport is..........

Silly comment about leaving in droves ...people don't leave in droves because of the play offs in fact it brings fans in .

Not anyone can win a four team Tournament I know that anyside outside of the play off would not be good enough to win it . The league table does lie because teams mind set is to finish in the top 4 not to win it I expect in a first past the post system the league might have not looked the same .

• Like 1

But teams now days build up there season to finish in the top 4 that's all that matters, teams make act differently if it was top of the league wins. Coventry and Poole have done it this way in the past. The playoffs is the best thing the sport has done in recent times.

There is no doubt in my mind that the team who finish top of the league have been the best team over the whole season, how can that fact not be true?

To become BEL Champions u have to also win the playoffs, that's when it becomes hard for a team decimated through injury :-(

• Like 1

There is no doubt in my mind that the team who finish top of the league have been the best team over the whole season, how can that fact not be true?

To become BEL Champions u have to also win the playoffs, that's when it becomes hard for a team decimated through injury :-(

Thanks for the clarification. As you say this is "in your mind". In the real world - as pointed out above by myself, Orion and Woz01, the team that finishes top is not necessarily the best team.

Top can no way mean best team, a few years back we were 2nd to Exeter in the Pl, because they had a huge home advantage, where infact we had won more matches. and a much superior away form.

I do believe next season there should be the means to replace Injured riders " not some Pole pulling a sicky because he hates the oppos track" but legitimate and real reasons. but with people like ford around would be open to abuse.

• Like 1

Finishing top does NOT make you the best team over the season - ask any other team that have been in that position before - Swindon, Poole, Birmingham etc.

This is correct maybe 6 months out of 7 then.

But teams now days build up there season to finish in the top 4 that's all that matters, teams make act differently if it was top of the league wins. Coventry and Poole have done it this way in the past. The playoffs is the best thing the sport has done in recent times.

Don't think teams act differently.In the past teams have always tried to improve their sides as the season unfolds.Because punters don't come to see a team losing.This has been happening in all the years I have been going to speedway well before the play-offs ever started

• Like 2

Now Mads has been sacked by Leicester he can't guest for us either. Good eh?

• Like 1

Lynn have bottled it and thrown it away.

They had the league title in their grasp.

The Panthers finished top of the league in 2006 but they didn't run out of steam and the league season was longer back in 2006 so stop making excuses and just admit that the pressure got too much for Lynn.

Even before PUK's injury.. Lynn were running out of steam so you can't use PUK's injury as an excuse... Injuries are part and parcel of the sport.

Lynn have bottled it and thrown it away.

They had the league title in their grasp.

The Panthers finished top of the league in 2006 but they didn't run out of steam and the league season was longer back in 2006 so stop making excuses and just admit that the pressure got too much for Lynn.

Even before PUK's injury.. Lynn were running out of steam so you can't use PUK's injury as an excuse... Injuries are part and parcel of the sport.

I don't see anyone making excuses?