British Speedway Forum
jim the whipper

Leicester 2014 . Elite

If Ljung and Hougaard have jumped ship as we are led to believe and for the reasons we suspect, what exactly did they 'sign' when they signed for the Lions? In defence of riders, they will remind us that their employment can be terminated at very short notice should the management decide. If contracts are as open ended as they seem to be the sport will continue to struggle to be taken seriously. After taking nearly a 30 year hiatus from the sport (following the Lions demise in the early 80s) it has not taken me long to realise that there simply aren't enough riders to go round and the doubling and trebling up of riders across the continent does not appear to be sustainable.

Delusions of grandeur, control-freakery, or just plain old lack of competence? I think it's a fear of dispensing news that will create a negative image. But they have to come clean at some point!!

Maybe they have hopes of changing Paddy's mind. But he wasn't exactly scoring heavily, was he?? Agree that Berwick are exceptionally good at being open and honest with their supporters (I think Edinburgh are pretty good, too), but they seem to be in a minority.

What exactly are the management supposed to say? 'Ljung and Hougaard are no longer with us, and we don't yet know who will replace them'?! :sad:

• Like 1

If Ljung and Hougaard have jumped ship as we are led to believe and for the reasons we suspect, what exactly did they 'sign' when they signed for the Lions? In defence of riders, they will remind us that their employment can be terminated at very short notice should the management decide. If contracts are as open ended as they seem to be the sport will continue to struggle to be taken seriously. After taking nearly a 30 year hiatus from the sport (following the Lions demise in the early 80s) it has not taken me long to realise that there simply aren't enough riders to go round and the doubling and trebling up of riders across the continent does not appear to be sustainable.

Caught between rock and a hard place though.... If a rider doesn't want to continue riding for a team, he would simply not perform for 2-3 matches, and get booted out, on a lower average and go and ride for the team he wanted to ride for... It's a real difficult position..

Because there is a lack of quality riders around the UK Speedway scene, riders are not usually out of work for long unless they are on a high average and don't fit in Team averages, however, if the rider is in a particular low average, wether or not it's a false/manipulated one, they are in demand because it frees-up points to enable teams to bring in the best riders available...

What exactly are the management supposed to say? 'Ljung and Hougaard are no longer with us, and we don't yet know who will replace them'?! :sad:

It's not the Ljung/Hougard thing particularly. Just a general lack of any information to come out of BP really. People do obviously know about these things, and usually post them on here. And yes, it would be nice for Leicester to acknowledge the fact that the two riders have gone or not.

Peterborough last week cancelled a meeting only a few hours before tapes up, eventually blaming a H & S issue, no more info has since appeared or if the issue has been sorted, lots of unhappy Panther and rightly so Monarchs fans as quite a few had travelled/booked hotels....

It's a generic problem in the sport...... Club info always cloaked, secret, etc..

• Like 2

Peterborough last week cancelled a meeting only a few hours before tapes up, eventually blaming a H & S issue, no more info has since appeared or if the issue has been sorted, lots of unhappy Panther and rightly so Monarchs fans as quite a few had travelled/booked hotels....

It's a generic problem in the sport...... Club info always cloaked, secret, etc..

The H&S issue was the Truckfest, a friend of mine who lives there said there were still loads of trucks still there on the day of the speedway meeting and the track was like a ploughed field.

The H&S issue was the Truckfest, a friend of mine who lives there said there were still loads of trucks still there on the day of the speedway meeting and the track was like a ploughed field.

Again, it's a "my friend says" not a statement from the Promoter!!

Speedway survives on hearsay, speculation, Chinese whispers or silence...

Edited by Shale Searcher
  • Like 1

If that's the case why not say that's the problem ??

• Like 2

Guest GiveusaB

The Elite League has become a total shambles this season! I feel for Leicester ! Didnt think any other team would suffer as much as we have so far, but I could be wrong?

Peterborough have always had a volatile relationship with their landlords at the showground , so maybe the speedway promotion preferred not to rock the boat by publicly blaming them for something that was outside the control of both parties ,

The Elite League has become a total shambles this season! I feel for Leicester ! Didnt think any other team would suffer as much as we have so far, but I could be wrong?

The Elite league was a total shambles when Leicester joined it , they were warned but allowed ego to get in the way of common sense , they have only themselves to blame for the situation they find themselves in .

• Like 3

Peterborough have always had a volatile relationship with their landlords at the showground , so maybe the speedway promotion preferred not to rock the boat by publicly blaming them for something that was outside the control of both parties ,

Not always but for 12 years or so since Mr Mercer arrived. On this occasion I suspect that you're close to reality, unlike Tsunami and his followers. Having said that, what was in control of both parties was not to agree a speedway date the day after an event which traditionally leaves a trail of destruction.

Edited by Crump99

Again, it's a "my friend says" not a statement from the Promoter!!

Speedway survives on hearsay, speculation, Chinese whispers or silence...

They have always had trouble after a truckfest weekend I dont why they arrange meetings after truckfest

Guest GiveusaB

You cant blame them for wanting to see Elite League riders there every week?

Darcy Ward or Premier League guys? (no disrespect intended...)