British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Gp Final 3210 Against 6420

with a spare 10 minutes i thought i would see what difference the change of heat 23 scoring has made in the final GP standings.

Woffinden 151 with 6,4,2,0 160

Hampel 142 " 153

NKI 132 " 140

Hancock 129 " 134

Pedersen 121 " 124

Sayfutdinov 114 " 124

Zagar 110 " 116

Ward 106 " 111

So really it hasn`t made that much difference to the final standings.

Excellent, let's keep it simple and fair to all.

Who started this ridiculous double point nonsense in speedway anyway.

Excellent, let's keep it simple and fair to all.

Who started this ridiculous double point nonsense in speedway anyway.

That`s of course one side of the arguement-and i`m sure it was changed to keep the riders scores closer over the 12 rounds-which on most of the riders it has done,however Hampel would have been closer to Woffy -although marginally -under the 6,4,2,0 final scoring.

Much prefer the Top 6 format used in the European championships, with the top 2 straight to the final and places 3-6 having a semi for the last 2 final places, it seems a fairer method, yes it would deprive us of 1 heat but the riders would have to race a bit harder inthe other heats knowing that only the top 6 would qualify with the top 2 places automatically into the final.

Much prefer the Top 6 format used in the European championships, with the top 2 straight to the final and places 3-6 having a semi for the last 2 final places, it seems a fairer method, yes it would deprive us of 1 heat but the riders would have to race a bit harder inthe other heats knowing that only the top 6 would qualify with the top 2 places automatically into the final.

good idea

Edited by marky

disagrre totally. For starters, this would mean that the semi wouldn't be worth any points, whereas the current system sees championship points up for grabs in every race. Secondly, this means the "rewards" for making the cut off becomes less, and reduces the amount of points a rider can gain in a single meeting. Thirdly, it reduces the number of riders with a chance of making the semis, thereby reducing to some extent the tension in the last 4 heats.

Double points or single points for the final makes no difference to me, but please let's not tinker ith anything else, they have found the perfect formula, why change now?

• Like 1

disagrre totally. For starters, this would mean that the semi wouldn't be worth any points, whereas the current system sees championship points up for grabs in every race. Secondly, this means the "rewards" for making the cut off becomes less, and reduces the amount of points a rider can gain in a single meeting. Thirdly, it reduces the number of riders with a chance of making the semis, thereby reducing to some extent the tension in the last 4 heats.

Double points or single points for the final makes no difference to me, but please let's not tinker ith anything else, they have found the perfect formula, why change now?

Surely the cream at the top should get rewarded. Would you say it's unfair that a rider who only sneaks in the semi's with 7 points, and maybe count back applied, can then win 2 more races to get 13 points

Surely the cream at the top should get rewarded. Would you say it's unfair that a rider who only sneaks in the semi's with 7 points, and maybe count back applied, can then win 2 more races to get 13 points

I don't consider that unfair at all. there are others on here who would argue that as the gp winner they should actually get more points than any other rider. to reiterate, I think the current system is the best.

Projecting a points total if the GP were using the Euro formula borders on the impossible. For example, Ward and Jonsson finished 1/2 in New Zealand but neither made the final, whereas Hampel, who wouldn't have qualified for the semi having finished 7th, won his semi and the final itself.

Strip out all points for the semi's and final and here's what you get. Actual score shown next, then percentage of points scored in semis & finals:

TAI WOFFINDEN 124 (151) (17.9%)

GREG HANCOCK 111 (129) (14.0%)

JAROSLAW HAMPEL 111 (142) (21.8%)

NIELS-KRISTIAN IVERSEN 111 (132) (15.9%)

NICKI PEDERSEN 109 (121) (9.9%)

MATEJ ZAGAR 93 (110) (15.5%)

DARCY WARD 91 (106) (14.2%)

EMIL SAYFUTDINOV 89 (114) (21.9%)

KRZYSZTOF KASPRZAK 81 (89) (9.0%)

FREDRICK LINDGREN 79 (83) (4.8%)

TOMASZ GOLLOB 74 (89) (16.9%)

CHRIS HOLDER 68 (82) (17.1%)

ANDREAS JONSSON 64 (64) (0.0%)

MARTIN VACULIK 61 (62) (1.6%)

ANTONIO LINDBACK 51 (51) (0.0%)

Projecting a points total if the GP were using the Euro formula borders on the impossible. For example, Ward and Jonsson finished 1/2 in New Zealand but neither made the final, whereas Hampel, who wouldn't have qualified for the semi having finished 7th, won his semi and the final itself.

Strip out all points for the semi's and final and here's what you get. Actual score shown next, then percentage of points scored in semis & finals:

TAI WOFFINDEN 124 (151) (17.9%)

GREG HANCOCK 111 (129) (14.0%)

JAROSLAW HAMPEL 111 (142) (21.8%)

NIELS-KRISTIAN IVERSEN 111 (132) (15.9%)

NICKI PEDERSEN 109 (121) (9.9%)

MATEJ ZAGAR 93 (110) (15.5%)

DARCY WARD 91 (106) (14.2%)

EMIL SAYFUTDINOV 89 (114) (21.9%)

KRZYSZTOF KASPRZAK 81 (89) (9.0%)

FREDRICK LINDGREN 79 (83) (4.8%)

TOMASZ GOLLOB 74 (89) (16.9%)

CHRIS HOLDER 68 (82) (17.1%)

ANDREAS JONSSON 64 (64) (0.0%)

MARTIN VACULIK 61 (62) (1.6%)

ANTONIO LINDBACK 51 (51) (0.0%)

Glad to see Tai at the top.

I had another look at this and with nothing better to fill my time I played out the full SGP season using the Euros formula.

Semi-final and final results are based on head-to-heads during the 20 heats, one 'point' awarded to each head-to-head winner. If two riders are tied, the head-to-head result is the tie-breaker. If 3 or more are tied then it's decided on points scored. Countback a la GP with race wins etc is not used.

Woffinden 130

Hancock 120

Hampel 119

Iversen 119

Pedersen 114

Ward 101

Sayfutdinov 98

Zagar 98

Kasprzak 81

Lindgren 79

Gollob 77

Holder 74

Jonsson 66

Vaculik 62

Lindback 51

Full PDF file here http://www.dropbox.c...ypothetical.pdf

Real GP: Woffinden won. 20 heats only GP: Woffinden won. Hypothetical Euro-style GP: Woffinden won. There's a pattern forming there I just can't quite put my finger on...