British Speedway Forum
steve povey

Speedway/grasstrack Riders In Home Counties

Are there any speedway or grasstrack riders based in Herts,Beds or Bucks?

More than 30 years ago - which will not help you - Bucks was a hot-bed of speedway riders some of whom also rode grass tracks. Here's some probably long forgotten names to browse over: Billy Newell, Arthur Flack, Stan Tebby, Jim Tebby, George Bason, Danny Dunton, Ron How, Ted Spittles, Roy Bowers, Peter Robinson, Ted Pankhurst, John Day, Keith Webb, Ronnie Webb, Arthur Sweby, Ron Sharp. I know that I have forgotten others.

Are you a prospective promoter thinking of starting a new speedway/grass track?

Nicki Pedersen lives in Stevenage.

More than 30 years ago - which will not help you - Bucks was a hot-bed of speedway riders some of whom also rode grass tracks. Here's some probably long forgotten names to browse over: Billy Newell, Arthur Flack, Stan Tebby, Jim Tebby, George Bason, Danny Dunton, Ron How, Ted Spittles, Roy Bowers, Peter Robinson, Ted Pankhurst, John Day, Keith Webb, Ronnie Webb, Arthur Sweby, Ron Sharp. I know that I have forgotten others.

Crikey gustix - you DO go back a long way. :wink::t:

Some of the above I recognize - and some I don't. I have highlighted the ones whose names I can remember.

I actually met Danny Dunton once a few years ago.

• Like 1

Crikey gustix - you DO go back a long way. :wink::t:

Some of the above I recognize - and some I don't. I have highlighted the ones whose names I can remember.

I actually met Danny Dunton once a few years ago.

Danny Dunton was involved with Peterborough as a promoter as I recall, did he moved to Cambridgeshire? If he did, he is out of catchment! That is the only name I recognise TWK/Gustix and I am 55!

Danny Dunton was involved with Peterborough as a promoter as I recall, did he moved to Cambridgeshire? If he did, he is out of catchment! That is the only name I recognise TWK/Gustix and I am 55!

Jim Tebby rode for Wimbledon I believe.

Cue another 14 pages of " back in the day" without answering the original question

• Like 1

Cue another 14 pages of " back in the day" without answering the original question

This is a DISCUSSION Forum - we can discuss what we like, when we like and how we like thank you.

• Like 1

This is a DISCUSSION Forum - we can discuss what we like, when we like and how we like thank you.

When I listed the names of riders who I knew HAD lived in Bucks I did clarify it with "More than 30 years ago - which will not help you - Bucks was a hot-bed of speedway riders some of whom also rode grass tracks. "

Beyond that, The White Knight gives a reply which I second.

I look forward to reading a modern update on the topic from Jonny the spud. :t:

Edited by Guest

But JTS, I would like to know, why is he/she is asking the question in the first place? There are speedway/grass track riders all over the UK! What is behind the question? Is Luton thinking of opening a track?

But JTS, I would like to know, why is he/she is asking the question in the first place? There are speedway/grass track riders all over the UK! What is behind the question? Is Luton thinking of opening a track?

Would Luton be a local derby for Slough
  • Like 1

As I live in Buckinghamshire I have often wondered if there where any current speedway/grasstrack riders in my area.THAT was the reason for the post.

As I live in Buckinghamshire I have often wondered if there where any current speedway/grasstrack riders in my area.THAT was the reason for the post.