British Speedway Forum

Joe McLaughlin the commercial manager has resigned with immediate effect!!!!

Where did you see this, is there a link?

Where did you see this, is there a link?

Again, announced by the man himself on the Brummis story, cannot doubt it's accuracy if it came from the horses mouth.

• Like 1

Is there anyone left at Birningham who is putting a team together.

Nigel Pearson said on twitter thst the Brummies future is secure, with an announcement mid day on Monday

Is there anyone left at Birningham who is putting a team together.

The Invisible Man..

• Like 1

Latest from todays Sunday Mercury

Phil Morris has left the door open for a return to Birmingham Speedway – if the club is sold.

Brummies owners Alan Phillips and Chris Luty will make an announcement by midday tomorrow about the structure of the Perry Barr club following a week of turmoil.

Former boss Morris quit after a series of clashes with members of the management, including commercial boss Joe McLaughlin.

And it is believed Danny King, who handed in a transfer request last week, would also withdraw it if new owners came in.

“I feel extremely sad about what’s happened at Birmingham and I can confirm myself and Danny would be open to a return depending on what final decision the current owners make,’’ said Morris.

“I’m not keen to go over old ground about my resignation, I’ve said enough about that really, but there was no way the club could have carried on as it was.

“Basically, myself as team manager and Danny as captain were not being allowed to do our jobs properly because of certain people in the management set-up.

‘‘And I don’t mean co-promoter Graham Drury.

“If new owners were to take control of the club and they wanted me back as manager then naturally I would be only too pleased to return.

‘‘The club has a great set of supporters and it’s a superb track.

“I also feel there is some unfinished business there but if the current set-up remains the same then I have to say I wouldn’t be interested.

“I’ve had a couple of calls and emails from interested parties asking about my plans for the new season but I haven’t agreed to anything.”

Morris admits he would welcome the opportunity to take charge of the Great Britain side for next summer’s World Cup campaign.

He added: “Some people suggested I quit Birmingham because I’m in for the GB job, which is a load of rubbish. I haven’t event got an interview yet.

“I feel I’m in a good position for that job having worked with the team over the last couple of seasons.

‘‘I’ve helped Neil Middleditch and I have a good relationship with the likes of Chris Harris and Tai Woffinden.

“I pride myself in professionalism and I also have experience of making sure the lads are happy with their travel and accommodation arrangements for the World Cup.

“Hopefully I will get the chance to meet the British Speedway management committee and I can do enough in an interview to get the job.

‘‘It would be a proud moment if I got it but it wouldn’t stop me working for a club at the same time, just as Neil continued working with Poole so successfully.”

I alluded to this in an earlier post but no one bit. :wink:

But serious if there is to be a DOOMSDAY SCENARIO for Birmingham Speedway and no one comes forward to take ownership of the club, along with no commercial deals and no riders signed up in the next few weeks.

Would there be the possibility of speedway continuing at Perry Barr next year by getting The Heathens to ride a season at Perry Barr in the elite league. It would give the Heathens a home and the possibility of running at Elite league level with maybe Hancock in the team along with the hopeful TV coverage. Thus boosting their profile and showing what Dudley/Sandwell council are missing out on. After all there is very little difference in the distance from Cradley Heath to Perry Barr or Monmore Green. Even if you don’t have a car the train service could get you to and from the track.

As for Birmingham well it would at least keep speedway in the city for a year till hopefully they can get themselves sorted out and a few open/challenge meetings could be staged during the 2014 season carrying the Birmingham speedway name.

I feel a lot of Heathens fans would love a crack at the top flight, if only for the publicity it will bring to highlight there fight for a home in Dudley/Sandwell. And Birmingham fans will still have the chance to see speedway at Perry Barr, OK it’s not the Brummies but I’m guessing a lot who attend Perry Barr are now the hardcore speedway fans and would still attend often during the season just to watch the sport. This could offset the much higher running cost of the Heathens being at a higher level by getting bigger crowds of both Brummie and Heatherns fans added to that alot of local away fans during the season.

Yes it would be a massive gamble to take Birmingham out for a year but it could be a way to keep speedway in the city and that has to be better than nothing. Also a massive gamble for the Heatherns but how much longer can a team with that support be in the 3rd division. it might just benefit both clubs.

anyway back to the :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: it is Friday night :D

Dudley don't want to move from the National league to the Premier league so a move to the Elite is pie in the Sky

Nigel Pearson said on twitter thst the Brummies future is secure, with an announcement mid day on Monday

I hope Pearson knows what he's talking about, this announcement tomorrow will be interesting then.

Anyway where will this announcement be made with a kaput website ?.

Edited by david2905

Dudley don't want to move from the National league to the Premier league so a move to the Elite is pie in the Sky

Yes right now everything is pie in the sky, and I can understand ?dudley? Not wishing to go premier league as the premier league isn’t really here or there it’s just a division devoid of ambition that milks the fans for any penny there can get. Winning the league dosn't really count for anything you don't even get promation. (well back in day you had the promation play offs, but due to lack of ambition by the then owners, thats the main reason i rarely go to Perry Barr now a days)

Whereas” The Heatherns” joining the ?elite? league would send out a message of intended. And that has to be more ambitions then watching another season of 3rd divisioners trying their best.

They could even keep 2 members of their current side with new 2NL rider rule in the EL. Maybe get Hancock in for the sentimental factor also it could keep the likes of King, Barker, Covetti and Auty at Perry Barr. As I said it was only a plan if Birmingham continued in meltdown mode but with "THE ANNOUCEMENT" tomorrow it will hopefully see Birmingham back on track, one other option is no speedway at Perry Barr and I believe the Planning Regulations say the stadium has to return to the way it was before speedway came back there, all at the cost of the speedways current owners. So no track anymore and a big bill to pay.

Edited by Pirio Barre

I hope Pearson knows what he's talking about, this announcement tomorrow will be interesting then.

In Joe M's parting email of the 19th Nov he stated arrangements had been made with Alan Phillips to get the website active in the next few days. Perhaps it will go live again tomorrow with the "big announcement". However, knowing our recent luck with everybody logging on at mid-day to see the big news the website will probably be overloaded and the server will crash.

Let's hope the news tomorrow is worth waiting for...........

• Like 1

WHAT!!!

• Like 2

However, knowing our recent luck with everybody logging on at mid-day to see the big news the website will probably be overloaded and the server will crash.

I'd laugh if I didn't think there was every chance of that actually happening.

Ignorance is no defence - surely Luty had a responsibility to look after his own investment through personal engagement in the detail of how the club was performing commercially and financially?

Which is why he gave the instruction to liquidate the club in the summer!

Friggy hell. If this was a plot in a TV soap, people would be saying it was too far fetched!!

Looking forward to some positive news tomorrow.