British Speedway Forum

The delay does seem puzzling considering just about anyone decent has already gone.

But we knew, giving the obvious budget restrictions, that we weren't going to get anyone decent anyway. The season starts in March, the team will have been announced by then. I understand the clamour (well, a handful if posts) for info, but in seasons past the announcement of signings has been dripped out over a couple of months. Whatever happens, it's hard to see a season consisting of anything other than struggling in the lower reaches.

Gonna be such a tough season will need 100% commitment and effort off the 1-7 and I think we have a chance to push for the play offs our 3 signings so far were good enough to get in the playoffs last year and if we do sign adam that four . Our strengh last year was how few 4th places we had and I can see that happening again...I hope

Actually, he was doing well until broke his wrist in the summer. After that, he wasn't the same force.

Really? Still think he was a huge disappointment.

This has no relevance to the 2014 team, but for hardcore fans from the 80’s this pretty much is the view from the old Bordesley track over looking the Birmingham skyline as it today. sorce http://www.baddeley.be/blog/

birmingham_skyline_r_j_baddeley1.jpgbirmingham_skyline_r_j_baddeley2.jpg

Edited by Pirio Barre

I just hope Alan Phillips won't be throwing a wobbler again about crowd levels 3 months in, if you assemble a poor side on the cheap, what do you expect ?.

• Like 1

Would rather a cheap side than no side...well its up to the people of our city to supprort them I bring down speedway virgins all the time I suggest we all try do the same...

Cost of drink and food when there doesn't help but as gd said its out there control.

• Like 1

Would rather a cheap side than no side...

It's all very well people saying that, but if no one turns up to watch a poor side, it could soon become no side, that is my biggest concern of all, as current signs suggest things may well play out like that, people won't turn up if they are getting tonked week after week.

Sorry but if people think enough people will turn up to make the club viable if the team performs as poorly as it looks, they need a serious reality check, sport is a results business and if they are not forthcoming, neither will be enough through the gate.

Edited by david2905

I'm with redandyellow on this, for certain every Brummies fan would love us to be challenging for the title, building an attractive side to hopefully go one step further and win the El. However the reality is this club cant afford to, last season we built a good side and despite a great start to the season, where were the crowds?. They were shocking, remember the Belle Vue home match and it was them sort of crowds that led Alan Phillips to put the warning of the club folding in the local press. Whilst there was a reaction from the fans, it was clear as day that we were over extending ourselves, as we were paying too much in wages then what we were getting back in numbers through the gates.

I dont want a repeat of it, its fantastic to see your club at the top of the league and to finish top in the regular season. However It shouldnt be at a price and the price was the club almost closed down mid season. Also riders not getting payed on time was also mentioned and look what Phil Morris said when he left. So the club has to operate within its means this upcoming season.

I agree with what David says about there being no support if we get tonked every week, if we have a side like say Mildenhall had in the last year they were in the PL then it will be a disaster. That Im hoping wont happen, whilst the aim very much is to build a cheaper side it should be a side that can at least hold its own. In the riders we have, in Danny and Ben we have two riders that have been with club from the start and go very well at Perry Barr. Kennett is a rider I'm dubious on as Ive seen some poor at Perry Barr in recent seasons but you never know and he was good in 2011. The last 2 riders will be crucial and if both have records of good meetings at Perry Barr then we will have a side that will hold its own at home at least against most sides. The last thing we want is a team that is spanked every week in front of its own fans.

The number 1 aim this year should be the club being in a much better state off track as last season it left a sour taste which shouldnt have been the case with such a great side and some many good results, we dont want that again.

Happy New Year Everyone!! :cheers:

Edited by Brummie Kev

The team we had built for us last season was by no means an expensive side but the success of point scoring is always going to cost - so it's a catch 22 surely? How small a payment per point do you think riders will accept when they have a living to make as well as certain riding expenses to cover?

I know people say you should support team through thick and thin, but as far as brummies are concerned,

joe bloggs can see this line up is not play off material...the fact is, no club increase attendances hovering down the table..

clubs will only get die hards, and as much as people moan about fairweather fans, its those exact people that makes the difference of financial gains/loss

• Like 1

I know people say you should support team through thick and thin, but as far as brummies are concerned,

joe bloggs can see this line up is not play off material...the fact is, no club increase attendances hovering down the table..

clubs will only get die hards, and as much as people moan about fairweather fans, its those exact people that makes the difference of financial gains/loss

And how is having two NL riders with @ 16 years riding experience between them (and their both still NL riders), supposed to help matters?

And how is having two NL riders with @ 16 years riding experience between them (and their both still NL riders), supposed to help matters?

Exactly, let's weaken the product but charge the same amount, that should have the punters flooding in. Yes, costs will reduce, but how much will income reduce?

Exactly, let's weaken the product but charge the same amount, that should have the punters flooding in. Yes, costs will reduce, but how much will income reduce?

admission at Birmingham has been reduced next season its now £15.00

Have not seen any other club do the same in fact most are £17.00

admission at Birmingham has been reduced next season its now £15.00

Have not seen any other club do the same in fact most are £17.00

That'll see them all come flooding in! It's a good gesture but, as was shown last season, speedway is a £10 sport and especially now that it has been so diluted.

• Like 4