British Speedway Forum

Thats pretty much what I hope for, a team that can hold its own at home and a possible 7th/8th place finish. In reality I dont see that, the side is too lightweight at the top end, which will be our undoing. Even if we keep it tight in home matches, if it goes to last heat deciders we are screwed. Look at most of the EL teams, alot of sides top 2 are better than our number 1.

Every EL side should have a number 1, currently there are 10 riders in teams with an average of 8 or higher, not one is at Birmingham or Leicester. I think there should have been resctrictions in place so EVERY side has a top rider, no disrespect to Danny King but he isnt a number 1. Its just a farce to me that the likes of Kings Lynn and Swindon can field two 8pters whilst there are team/s in the same league that dont have one. People may say that because Birmingham had big money issues, the intention was to not sign a number 1 at all. Maybe thats the case but it was said in the Speedway Star that both Leicester and Birmingham were in talks to sign Kenneth Bjerre, but he went to KL who already have a world class rider in Niels. Its just wrong, obviously some teams can offer better deals than others and riders naturally will go where that is but what about the teams that arnt in that postion. If rules arnt in place to help the less well off teams, then you will just have a two tier Elite League. I feel we will the whipping boys of the league like Mildenhall were in the Premier League.

Sorry, but can't agree. If we can't afford to be competitive in the league then we shouldn't be in it. The reason Mildenhall were shocking was that they were in over their heads and couldn't keep up, that was tough luck on them, as it is on us.

Sorry, but can't agree. If we can't afford to be competitive in the league then we shouldn't be in it. The reason Mildenhall were shocking was that they were in over their heads and couldn't keep up, that was tough luck on them, as it is on us.

Ok Kester what would you have done if only had a limited budget to work with? As you well know if they had decided to go into the PL , it would have meant suicide for the club.as it nearly proved when they were in the past

Ok Kester what would you have done if only had a limited budget to work with? As you well know if they had decided to go into the PL , it would have meant suicide for the club.as it nearly proved when they were in the past

Do what we've done now probably. But I wouldn't be moaning that other clubs should be doing us favours or asking for rules to ensure everyone is down at our level. The club was in the PL for four years, I don't recall them all being 'suicide'. We know the club lost money under Patchett, but do you know what the costs were in that year - did he lose more money than Luty and Philips last season? In what way is spending another season in the EL, which based on last years evidence we can't afford to be in, any less 'suicidal' than being in the PL?

From what I heard Tony Mole lost money in all three years that he was promoter, even though we had strong teams, and were challenging for trophies, that is why the decision was made to apply for the EL

From what I heard Tony Mole lost money in all three years that he was promoter, even though we had strong teams, and were challenging for trophies, that is why the decision was made to apply for the EL

But what did we lose last year, a season when riders weren't paid on time and there was a real risk we wouldn't see out the season?

The decision to go EL was a commercial one. Based on SkySports revenue and the "pulling power" that TV exposure had. Sponsors were persuaded to double their financial contributions, and new sponsors were found that added to the revenue. That was of course in the days when a very hard working commercial manager was single handedly getting the sponsors on board to make it all possible.

What was needed to make it a success would have been an extra 300 per week coming through the turnstiles. That was what didn't happen, and that's what caused financial meltdown.

If you think that previous years were bad, look at the Brummies web site now. No sign of a Sky deal, no commercial manager to work miracles for the club, no new sponsors and most of last season's sponsors gone. As they say...do the maths.

CONFIRMATION that Nico wont be in the Birmingham line up this season.

http://bit.ly/1e4DhvQ

Strange decision not to use him because he isn't ready to move out the reserve berth.

If he was too big a risk against other second stringers and NL reserves then he really isn't seen in too much of a favourable light by the Brummies management.

Typical Drury beau locks.

Do what we've done now probably. But I wouldn't be moaning that other clubs should be doing us favours or asking for rules to ensure everyone is down at our level. The club was in the PL for four years, I don't recall them all being 'suicide'. We know the club lost money under Patchett, but do you know what the costs were in that year - did he lose more money than Luty and Philips last season? In what way is spending another season in the EL, which based on last years evidence we can't afford to be in, any less 'suicidal' than being in the PL?

Sprts -Radio Will be discussing this (and other posts) on this thread tonight.

The decision to go EL was a commercial one. Based on SkySports revenue and the "pulling power" that TV exposure had. Sponsors were persuaded to double their financial contributions, and new sponsors were found that added to the revenue. That was of course in the days when a very hard working commercial manager was single handedly getting the sponsors on board to make it all possible.

What was needed to make it a success would have been an extra 300 per week coming through the turnstiles. That was what didn't happen, and that's what caused financial meltdown.

If you think that previous years were bad, look at the Brummies web site now. No sign of a Sky deal, no commercial manager to work miracles for the club, no new sponsors and most of last season's sponsors gone. As they say...do the maths.

why didn't the ex commercial manager tap into the local schools to drum up some more support there are plenty around the local area to go and vist

I seem to recall that Joe did a fair of promotions aimed at schools.

I seem to recall that Joe did a fair of promotions aimed at schools.

Did he take a rider with him and bike to give a chat etc

why didn't the ex commercial manager tap into the local schools to drum up some more support there are plenty around the local area to go and vist

When you have sponsors you have to appreciate that sponsors have products and services to sell. Therefore you need to focus on people who can buy these things. What also has to be targeted is the person who will pay an adult price at the gate. Filling the place with people who are so young they get in for free or only for £1 doesn't pay the bills.

And as was said, approaches were made to schools, some of who were receptive and some of who weren't. It's not in everyone's culture.

When you have sponsors you have to appreciate that sponsors have products and services to sell. Therefore you need to focus on people who can buy these things. What also has to be targeted is the person who will pay an adult price at the gate. Filling the place with people who are so young they get in for free or only for £1 doesn't pay the bills.

And as was said, approaches were made to schools, some of who were receptive and some of who weren't. It's not in everyone's culture.

Yes but the kids arnt going to go on there own tho without a reponsable adult with them tho I mean who would let there kid go on there own with Peodos, child abuctors and what ever else lurking on these streets of Perry Barr I certainly wouldn't its the times we live in im afraid....