British Speedway Forum

I tend to agree with this and have said the same before of speedway, and a number of other sports. There is too much focus on "families" and "kids" and not enough on those in the 16-25 age bracket who are still young enough to be long-term supporters of the club, but in a position where they have their own disposable income, can control their own decisions and for a fair percentage of them still fall into the "concession" price category which means they are more likely to stick around, get connected to the club and then start paying the full adult price when they are no longer eligible for concessions. I'd suggest based on the demographics I see at football matches in the Football Conference (which is probably the most comparable league attendance wise to EL speedway once you strip out three or four teams at the top), that it's people in this age bracket as well who are likely to help create something resembling a sporting atmosphere, and travel to follow the team away from home as well.

By all means still target families and kids, absolutely, but IMO the primary focus should be 16-25's. It's all well and good attracting a load of 10 year old's but it's going to be much harder to keep a hold of them as they grow up and start experiencing other things (drinking, girlfriends, going to university etc.).

So how does a 16-25 year old suddenly want to go to speedway if they havn't gone with a parent or adult?.

Yes children are different to when I was a child but it was the only thing I had in common with my mum when I was a kid & that bond is still there now.

I know of no group of lads in the age group you quote who go to speedway in a group.

• Like 1

So how does a 16-25 year old suddenly want to go to speedway if they havn't gone with a parent or adult?.

Because they decide it's time to have a look at this speedway thing that they've heard various tales of from their parents over the years...

...and I was actually 28 at the time.

Marketing, promotion, a bit of effort to get them through the turnstiles in the first place, and then making sure that there is a respectable product on show that will entice them back.

The reason there isn't at the moment? Because no-one is targeting them.

Because they decide it's time to have a look at this speedway thing that they've heard various tales of from their parents over the years...

...and I was actually 28 at the time.

I know loads more who go because they went with their parents & carried on the tradition with their kids which is what I did.

• Like 1

Marketing, promotion, a bit of effort to get them through the turnstiles in the first place, and then making sure that there is a respectable product on show that will entice them back.

The reason there isn't at the moment? Because no-one is targeting them.

Not sure 15mins action over a 120 minute period is a great attraction to youngsters in this digital age...

• Like 1

Not sure 15mins action over a 120 minute period is a great attraction to youngsters in this digital age...

But nowadays they can play with their 'digital media' between heats!

I know loads more who go because they went with their parents & carried on the tradition with their kids which is what I did.

In those days kids wore school caps and short trousers and held hands. These are different times now. You have to break out of your romantic nostalgic little time-warp bubble.

But nowadays they can play with their 'digital media' between heats!

Lets hope we can get them there in the first place. It was i-spy in my day.. :D

In those days kids wore school caps and short trousers and held hands. These are different times now. You have to break out of your romantic nostalgic little time-warp bubble.

What the days when speedway tracks used to be full as opposed to the low levels they get now. I know times are different but one thing's for sure they certainly ain't better:-)

• Like 1

TBH I really can't think of anything else the promotion could do to increase attendances, I'd say everything has been tried by now with only short term success to show for it. I don't think the Birmingham public are that interested in speedway, the 21 year gap was just too damaging to the supporter base and now that some hardcore fans are walking you do wonder what the future holds for the club.

Meanwhile, a stone's throw away, a football club that's been playing some of the most awful football in recent memory (I know, I've been) is boasting the 8th highest attendances in the Premier league. So it's not as if people won't come out of the house, is it?

• Like 2

Meanwhile, a stone's throw away, a football club that's been playing some of the most awful football in recent memory (I know, I've been) is boasting the 8th highest attendances in the Premier league. So it's not as if people won't come out of the house, is it?

The people are there, the money is there. What hasn't been done is to persuade the people to part with their money at the speedway. Very strenuous efforts have been made, and a lot time spent on the matter, so it's not for want of trying. Maybe it has something to do with the quality of the product?

Birmingham can find a level in elite speedway by putting in the years . it would be fatal to go back to pl. speedway can no longer be for the mega buck chasers. there is mild security in the big city surely. let there be a passion again built up over perseverance .history in a modern era. where,s nermark announcement !!

TBH I really can't think of anything else the promotion could do to increase attendances, I'd say everything has been tried by now with only short term success to show for it. I don't think the Birmingham public are that interested in speedway, the 21 year gap was just too damaging to the supporter base and now that some hardcore fans are walking you do wonder what the future holds for the club.

Good post ! Cannot fault the Brummies promotion last season for the way they advertised and were commercially active sourcing new sponsorship. Aligning this with reduced admission,groupon etc I cannot see how they could have done anymore. Also with the planets lining themselves up with a relativity cheap team,a good home record,topping the regular league,a home semi final against their local rivals and a play off final against speedways best supported club last year was the time when money was to be made.Unfortunately as we know this was not the case with amongst other things riders and management not paid on time.Makes you wonder what will happen this year with a weakened product,a less successful team,one main investor rather than two,a new commercial manager and crucially no Phil Morris to hold it all together. Edited by New Science
  • Like 1

The people are there, the money is there. What hasn't been done is to persuade the people to part with their money at the speedway. Very strenuous efforts have been made, and a lot time spent on the matter, so it's not for want of trying. Maybe it has something to do with the quality of the product?

Maybe its a mix of product, value for money and facilities!! Gone are the days of expecting fans to pay whatever and not get the chance to sit, or at the very least stand under cover, if they wish. And that is often out of the hands of the speedway promotion - whichever club it is!!