British Speedway Forum
Trees

Your Stadium Assessment?

Agree that many aspects of a stadium are simply out of the hands of what a respective promoter can achieve. Major refurbishments, improved facilities, etc. are, in many cases, the responsibility of the stadium's owners; many of whom seem unable/unwilling (possibly both) to meaningfully invest.

As for my own team - Lakeside. Undoubtedly, one of the worst places you could imagine. Very little cover, toilets are a disgrace and it's location (particularly on Friday nights) is a nightmare.

On the plus side - visibility is excellent (albeit a long way from the track), food outlets are generally reasonable, the car park is free and, despite the rhetoric from those on here still apparently living in the 90's, the standard of racing is very good.

I know first hand just how much Cookie and Duggo have tried to improve facilities. An example of this is by renting a better P.A. System for each meeting. Unfortunately, their enthusiasm to make ongoing improvements is seemingly not shared by the Arena Stadium owner(s).

However, one area where Hammers Fans desperately want to see improvements, is in the area of merchandising. Over the past few years, it's become a complete and utter farce. Whilst I believe our Promotion are pretty forward-thinking (ride & slide days, training track, excellent sponsorship, community involvement, etc.) I do find it pretty frustrating that they don't appear to be able to tackle the relatively simple issue of selling club merchandise. Whilst there are (apparently) restrictions selling this within the stadium, it really isn't too difficult to set up an ebaY shop, is it?

At the end of the day, we make the best of what we have. With a pretty solid fan-base, it's quite a successful club. However, when I compare Lakeside's stadium with my now local clubs such as Coventry, Birmingham and Wolves, it's frustrating to see what can actually be achieved.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason

Agree that many aspects of a stadium are simply out of the hands of what a respective promoter can achieve. Major refurbishments, improved facilities, etc. are, in many cases, the responsibility of the stadium's owners; many of whom seem unable/unwilling (possibly both) to meaningfully invest.

As for my own team - Lakeside. Undoubtedly, one of the worst places you could imagine. Very little cover, toilets are a disgrace and it's location (particularly on Friday nights) is a nightmare.

On the plus side - visibility is excellent (albeit a long way from the track), food outlets are generally reasonable, the car park is free and, despite the rhetoric from those on here still apparently living in the 90's, the standard of racing is very good.

I know first hand just how much Cookie and Duggo have tried to improve facilities. An example of this is by renting a better P.A. System for each meeting. Unfortunately, their enthusiasm to make ongoing improvements is seemingly not shared by the Arena Stadium owner(s).

However, one area where Hammers Fans desperately want to see improvements, is in the area of merchandising. Over the past few years, it's become a complete and utter farce. Whilst I believe our Promotion are pretty forward-thinking (ride & slide days, training track, excellent sponsorship, community involvement, etc.) I do find it pretty frustrating that they don't appear to be able to tackle the relatively simple issue of selling club merchandise. Whilst there are (apparently) restrictions selling this within the stadium, it really isn't too difficult to set up an ebaY shop, is it?

At the end of the day, we make the best of what we have. With a pretty solid fan-base, it's quite a successful club. However, when I compare Lakeside's stadium with my now local clubs such as Coventry, Birmingham and Wolves, it's frustrating to see what can actually be achieved.

Such a shame that the stadium owners won't invest in the stadium! I guess Cook and Duggo just have to keep pushing?

Re the merchandising, I really like John Cook's leather jacket with the Hammers logo on!! Of course they should get some merchandise done for the fans, if it's cost that is preventing it, couldn't they take orders and only get them done when the minimum order number is reached, get them out for Christmas!! There's gotta be companies out there willing to do small orders??

How much paint would be needed for a stadium. I could not be done by working parties but because of "Elf And Safety would have to be done by professional teams because of the structure of a stadium and the scafolding needed. A good idea but it would also need, as I said before, in most cases the approval of the stadium owners.

Donated paint by a sponsor company sounds a good idea but it would be expensive although I have no idea what a costing would be from a paint company to improve a stadium. Would the value of supplying the paint be worthwhile to them?

For all my views, it does look like something well worth giving consideration to.

Johnstones do sponsor some sort of football competition I believe so they may be up for it?? Paint can be £40 - £100 a gallon depending on what it is .....

The toilets at most stadiums are pretty, let's be polite, dire!

That would be one of my stipulations.

We got lovely Toilets in the back straight Grandstand, and a disabled Toilet and Baby changing area. There's a reasonable Toilet in the Champs Bar.

Edited by Starman2006

These stadia that are not owned by the speedway fraternity, mostly seem to be dog venues, why then are Birmingham and Wolverhampton fairly ok facility wise/cleanliness, which others are not?

We got lovely Toilets in the back straight Grandstand, and a disabled Toilet and Baby changing area. There's a reasonable Toilet in the Champs Bar.

Ok that got to be one of the most puzzling posts ever lol.....please may i ask who on earth 'we' is???

Ok that got to be one of the most puzzling posts ever lol.....please may i ask who on earth 'we' is???

George Michael?

• Like 1

George Michael?

Lol ok i'm lost with that...make this the most puzzling :)

I also wondered what speedways were being referred to but previously didn't commenrt i case I was missing something.

Its like through the Keyhole isn't it, where to start?

Look who posted it maybe. What about examining the content? "Back straight grandstand" not many places have one of those. "Champs Bar" Thats a big clue.

So lets look at the facts. Posted by a Poole fan, using the term "WE" with references that could only relate to Poole

Not sure where it could be to be honest, maybe Belle Vue?

Edited by Oldace
  • Like 1

Lol ok i'm lost with that...make this the most puzzling :)

I'm glad you Posted that - because I don't understand it either. :blink:

To be fair, to me it is completely understandable that if you do not own a stadium you do not spend scarce funds on improving it particularly when the landlord doesn't seem prepared to do so. As such, anything must be on the lines of volunteers providing their own materials.

Believe me, there are worse places than Lakeside - Somerset, for example, has no cover at all.

The stadium that has stepped up the most over the last year or so is undoubtedly Plymouth and I have been told that much more is planned. A lot of the work cannot be seen as it is in the form of electrics, drainage, fencing etc but the new back straight stand is superb. Scunthorpe has improved immeasurably since it opened in 2005 and Redcar has a new stand.

The one with the most potential, however, is Central Park Sittingbourne the home of the Kent Kings. That could undoubtedly be used for GP meetings in the near future (although they would have to sort the track out).

Greyhound stadium naming the bar after scurlogue champ.... How appropriate :)

Obviously a massive advantage to own a stadium. Over the years i have been to every track that is open and many that have fallen by the wayside. In support of Len Silver he has taken many steps to have vastly improved facilities which in my opinion are pretty good. That said i live five minutes from the lakeside track and would love to pop along to see some EL but i hate the place, viewing is too far from the track, seating of any description non existent no cover over than the home straight, all in all pretty dire but it would be ok if the racing was any good which it isn't. So i simply go elsewhere. Given what i have said that shouldn't reflect on the Promotion as i think they are as good as anyone around. But the stadium owners don't care about speedway fans and i suppose thats their prerogative

Obviously a massive advantage to own a stadium. Over the years i have been to every track that is open and many that have fallen by the wayside. In support of Len Silver he has taken many steps to have vastly improved facilities which in my opinion are pretty good. That said i live five minutes from the lakeside track and would love to pop along to see some EL but i hate the place, viewing is too far from the track, seating of any description non existent no cover over than the home straight, all in all pretty dire but it would be ok if the racing was any good which it isn't. So i simply go elsewhere. Given what i have said that shouldn't reflect on the Promotion as i think they are as good as anyone around. But the stadium owners don't care about speedway fans and i suppose thats their prerogative

The owners - the Woodroffe family - initially created the Arena Essex aka Lakeside venue for car racing. Speedway was only introduced some years later. They'll probably only do something is their own car race supporters and those from the other tenants the Saturday Rolling Thunder Show start to complain.

[quote name="Trees" post="2364172" timestamp="13826

Johnstones do sponsor some sort of football competition I believe so they may be up for it?? Paint can be £40 - £100 a gallon depending on what it is .....

Do they make Tartan paint for our friends north of the border.

edit due to posting quote but not the hopefully witty reply

Edited by Triple.H.