British Speedway Forum
Trees

Your Stadium Assessment?

Panthers89.......I suppose I'm more quick on the uptake because by your avatar I know which track you're referring to. :D I love everything about Peterborough, although must admit I don't often buy any food or go in the bar so can't comment on them. The track is brilliant and the car park the same, since we don't have to drive onto grass now and get stuck if it's muddy. Just build a motorway to the Showground instead of the horrible A47 and I'd be there every week.

• Like 2

Panthers89.......I suppose I'm more quick on the uptake because by your avatar I know which track you're referring to. :D I love everything about Peterborough, although must admit I don't often buy any food or go in the bar so can't comment on them. The track is brilliant and the car park the same, since we don't have to drive onto grass now and get stuck if it's muddy. Just build a motorway to the Showground instead of the horrible A47 and I'd be there every week.

Haha, I guess I could of made it more obvious :lol:

Next season with:

Leicester, Ippo, Coventry, Wolves, Birmingham and Lynn all within an hour for us.... should be good for Frosty.

• Like 1

all the tracks ive been to in the last 2 years berwick speedway has the best FOOD. allways fresh well cooked and is pure dead brillant.if food is a big concerd for a lot of people how about a league next season for the top track food

No point in a League - Berwick would ALWAYS win it.............................................. Those PIES - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Certainly agree with you there Gemini. :approve:

After all - the Racing is what we go to watch.

Edited by The White Knight

For those who don't think facilities make a difference, I would refer back to Middlesbrough (Cleveland Park)in the mid 80's. The crowd levels in the seasons before and after the main stand burnt down(the stand burnt down mid 85)are a good example of the differences .

The main stand provided cover, had a Bar, Café and toilet facilities that were of good(not great, just good) standard, The back straight had a stand that provided cover, there was a Bar, Café and toilets though not of the same standard as the Main stand. The team was relatively the same, and successful, top three each year, yet the crowd levels still dropped because of the poorer standard of facilities after the stand burnt down. Losing the main stand cost 1000-1500+ on the gate. To lose so many off the gate was down to the loss of facilities, not much else changed in that time.

So I would say facilities do make a difference, experience tells me that.

No point in a League - Berwick would ALWAYS win it.............................................. Those PIES - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

But of course TWK there would be a play off and the Berwick representative could drop his pie and lose out to a thrice reheated Poole burger!!
  • Like 2

But of course TWK there would be a play off and the Berwick representative could drop his pie and lose out to a thrice reheated Poole burger!!

I have had a GREAT idea for Speedway at Berwick - do away with the dreadful 'Double Points' and we could have 'Double Pies' instead. Now THAT would do for me............................

• Like 1

Take a look at football stadiums before and after the Taylor report on Hillsborough. Football has attracted more punters through the gates since then, and the new facilities are a big reason for this.

you have no evidence of this.as it is simply not tr/ue. 90% of football clubs had bigger attendances in the 1950-60's than they get today. This applies to all levels of football. Gates are well lower. today.

you have no evidence of this.as it is simply not tr/ue. 90% of football clubs had bigger attendances in the 1950-60's than they get today. This applies to all levels of football. Gates are well lower. today.

I think you're misunderstanding burrito's point. Football gates have been rising for 20 years.

In the few seasons before Hillsborough and the Taylor Report, football crowds were in serious decline at the majority of clubs - the stats are out there on the web and in Rothmans/Sky Football Yearbooks. Almost all clubs moving to new stadia or making major improvements to existing grounds have reported an increase in crowds. Take Middlesbrough as an example. At Ayresome Park (one of the tattiest grounds in English football) they averaged 16,500 in the Premier League in 1993. Three years later at the Riverside, a similar quality side was attracting nearly 30,000. More recently Shrewsbury Town were watched by an average of 3,500 at the ramshackle old Gay Meadow. Last season at their smart New Meadow ground on the outskirts of town they averaged 5,700.

As far as speedway is concerned, I'd be happy to stand in a field to watch a meeting on a properly prepared track and I suspect most of the few remaining fans feel the same. However, new "customers" are unlikely to be impressed by the facilities at some tracks. It's good to hear that improvements are being made at Plymouth - I went in 2012 and the toilets were like something out of Trainspotting.

• Like 1

I am happy to stand on a muddy bank ,stand in a field or use s*** toilets if I am paying less than £10. .upwards of £15 for that privilege is unacceptable IMO

• Like 5

I am happy to stand on a muddy bank ,stand in a field or use s*** toilets if I am paying less than £10. .upwards of £15 for that privilege is unacceptable IMO

You do have a point - and I agree with you. :)

That's interesting about the Avatar. All I get is the standard "in house" BSF one that adorns many of the messages.

Do you not get to see the name Panthers89?

or the fact EOES was quoted (East of England Showground)

The reference was to the poster's Avatar not her/his forum name.

all the tracks ive been to in the last 2 years berwick speedway has the best FOOD. allways fresh well cooked and is pure dead brillant.if food is a big concerd for a lot of people how about a league next season for the top track food

I don't do speedway food, but Berwick is the exception that proves the rule. The burgers are excellent.

. It's good to hear that improvements are being made at Plymouth - I went in 2012 and the toilets were like something out of Trainspotting.

They're still not good but the plans are in place.

I haven't got over sitting on one of the portaloos at Weymouth when a couple of young kids forced the door open.

I'd pay more than £15 if the speedway is top quality..... but I am a diehard.