British Speedway Forum
Trees

Your Stadium Assessment?

Do you not get to see the name Panthers89?

Yes, of course. But there are some interesting member names on BSF and are not always what they seem. However, the dispute is not over the name Panthers89 but that I was referred to an Avatar supposedly with a link to Peterborough - and there isn't one!

The reference was to the poster's Avatar not her/his forum name.

Oh well if we are splitting hairs he hasn't actually got one. :D I just presumed someone with the name Panthers89 was a Peterborough fan as it's quite a good clue as to who he/she supports.

By the way there is no dispute - I don't do disputes - so I'm quite happy for you to win.

Edited by Gemini

After the storms on Monday i wonder how many tracks have suffered damage and how many have been improved by it, by nearest track is Arena, no need to say which is the more likely outcome there then.

I have had a GREAT idea for Speedway at Berwick - do away with the dreadful 'Double Points' and we could have 'Double Pies' instead. Now THAT would do for me............................

After the storms on Monday i wonder how many tracks have suffered damage and how many have been improved by it, by nearest track is Arena, no need to say which is the more likely outcome there then.

I have had a GREAT idea for Speedway at Berwick - do away with the dreadful 'Double Points' and we could have 'Double Pies' instead. Now THAT would do for me............................

Double posts as well as double pies! Lovely.

Surely the most improved stadium this season is at Ipswich. There are now 1500 seats on the back straight and new food outlets on the second bend with hoptitality suites above .there are also wheelchair access areas. only problem is no extra punters this season

And some complain about my spelling!! Oh..

I think you're misunderstanding burrito's point. Football gates have been rising for 20 years.

In the few seasons before Hillsborough and the Taylor Report, football crowds were in serious decline at the majority of clubs - the stats are out there on the web and in Rothmans/Sky Football Yearbooks. Almost all clubs moving to new stadia or making major improvements to existing grounds have reported an increase in crowds. Take Middlesbrough as an example. At Ayresome Park (one of the tattiest grounds in English football) they averaged 16,500 in the Premier League in 1993. Three years later at the Riverside, a similar quality side was attracting nearly 30,000. More recently Shrewsbury Town were watched by an average of 3,500 at the ramshackle old Gay Meadow. Last season at their smart New Meadow ground on the outskirts of town they averaged 5,700.

As far as speedway is concerned, I'd be happy to stand in a field to watch a meeting on a properly prepared track and I suspect most of the few remaining fans feel the same. However, new "customers" are unlikely to be impressed by the facilities at some tracks. It's good to hear that improvements are being made at Plymouth - I went in 2012 and the toilets were like something out of Trainspotting.

Boro's crowds are about 14,000 now, but agree better facilities has meant improved crowds generally, although in the 60s Swindon Town used to get 10,000 plus, as opposed to 7-8000 now. Arsenal's attendances have increased. The reason given for lower crowds at Italian football matches are the crumbling stadia. Standing on a grass bank and paying 17 quid to watch speedway is poor value, and wont attract more fans (look at Swindon). I watch football, rugby, ice hockey, and horse racing as well, and they have increasing crowds and better facilities than speedway.

Edited by marllamb downsman

Its like through the Keyhole isn't it, where to start?

Look who posted it maybe. What about examining the content? "Back straight grandstand" not many places have one of those. "Champs Bar" Thats a big clue.

Well that rules out Lakeside and Kings Lynn then.

Surely the most improved stadium this season is at Ipswich. There are now 1500 seats on the back straight and new food outlets on the second bend with hoptitality suites above .there are also wheelchair access areas. only problem is no extra punters this season

I take it you meant hospitality, lol