British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Speedway Star Online

I AM in the US at the moment and will tackle some of the questions raised later.

However, what I can say now is that net income from a sale through the App Store for example will actually be slightly less than from a printed mag sent through the post. We heavily discount subs anyway, currently £2.12p per copy and then we pay first class postage leaving us with about 56 per cent of the original cover price. That is also the margin we receive from sales through supermarkets, newsagents, etc.

The net income from overseas subs with higher postage charges is also around 56 per cent.

Apple take 30 per cent of the cost of mags sold via iTunes, then the company handling the operation for us take 14 per cent of what's left leaving us with, again, around 55/56 per cent.

The bottom line is the net income per magazine is pretty much the same no matter how it is sold.

We looked at various means of producing an online magazine, bearing in mind that we do not have the time or staff availability to do it ourselves. The first criteria was that it had to be available on a Thursday morning. That means the pdfs need to be sent on a Tuesday afternoon, at the same time as the final files are sent to our printers.

We talked with a few companies that could handle that but some charge a minimum of £3 per page, plus the costs of setting up an App and a annual licence fee. For a pre-paid yearly contract that amounts to over £11,000 on our current annual pagination.

The best solution was us is what ExactEditions offer. It is all based around subscriptions. They take the final pdf and handle everything from there on a commission only basis. Their income is a percentage of subs sold. No subs sold they make no money and we have no financial downside other than the unavoidable payments to Apple.

The lack of a facility to buy one-off copies is something we will examine in the near future but right now the route we have chosen is the one that suits us best.

Thanks Phil,

Some interesting info there. I would question the lack of one off purchases with Exact Editions, I can't see how it would cost them or yourselves anything extra. I am sure you would get more sales too as some people just like to buy the odd edition.

Looking forward to it though.

This sounds good to me. I may well bag a Subscription. B)

Oh for a proper set of Smileys.

This sounds good to me. I may well bag a Subscription. B)

Oh for a proper set of Smileys.

Oh for a "like" button. :blink:

I shall certainnly be subscribing

SPEEDWAY STAR is now available by subscription online through your web browser, on an iPhone or iPad or any Android device... and for the same price no matter where you are in the world.

The latest online editions will be available each Thursday morning (UK time) other than over the Christmas holiday period when the dates will vary.

See speedwaystar.net during that time for more details.

If you wish to renew your subscription for the online edition rather than have the printed one mailed to you, go to: www.exacteditions.com/speedwaystar

Please note the App version for the iPhone and iPad will not be available from the iTunes store until Thursday, December 5th.

Prices for the online editions represent huge savings for those subscribers living outside of the United Kingdom.

You will pay the same price (£28 for 13 weeks, £112 for 52 weeks) whether you reside in Australia, Europe, New Zealand or North America.

Got my subscription. Looks great on my ipad.

I have it too! Works great and is very easy to read on my PC.

I have the East Anglian Daily Times every day on the internet and this costs £50 per year. The printed paper costs 70 pence per day and £1.30 on a saturday. So this costs 5 X 70p and one of £1.30 making £4.80 per week or £249 a year. This is a saving 80% of the street price , So how can they do this but there is no discount on line for the Speedway Star

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, haven't received my printed copy of the Star this week, anyone know if there are problems generally as just trying to understand whether it is an isolated incident?

Thks

A

Yeah, mine arrived on time.

I can understand why so many like being able to get their mag on line. Personally I prefer to have the publication in my hands, in the same way I prefer the feel of a book as apposed to a Kindle, although once again of course they have there advantages too.

So you pays your money and takes your choice, and mine is to receive the printed document.

I have the East Anglian Daily Times every day on the internet and this costs £50 per year. The printed paper costs 70 pence per day and £1.30 on a saturday. So this costs 5 X 70p and one of £1.30 making £4.80 per week or £249 a year. This is a saving 80% of the street price , So how can they do this but there is no discount on line for the Speedway Star

Isn't that explained in post 31?