British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jonny the spud

What Can Be Done For Young British Riders.

I believe there is a major misconception when it comes to what international riders receive from clubs. There are some extreme examples but in the main most riders from abroad still have to find their own way.

It's only the young potential superstars that gets sponsors & clubs throwing stuff at them but that about 2 out of 10. That is no different to potential young British superstars. Tai Woffinden is one example and now potentially Robert Lambert but they still had to work their bloody asses off.

You tend to find also that a lots of the sponsorship logos on foreign riders equipment are from abroad anyway and the majority buy their own gear. You regularly hear of foreign riders asking for and getting paid LESS than Brits. Something else that needs clearing up is this nonsense that flights are paid for. Again, there are some extremes but nearly all foreign riders have to pay and organise their own travel expense. It's been that way since the mid to late 90's. The only travel expenses covered are those from base to away track. Whether that's the airport, UK home etc. No different to how the British rider's are treated.

Some people don't like Twitter but I can tell you, it's a massive education in attitude differences between Brits & our foreign counterparts. While the Brits like to pee about having great nights out getting off their face chasing birds about the foreign guys are all about advertising themselves, searching sponsorship, searching out clubs, training hard, practising hard, already building equipment for next year etc etc.

Truth hurts but it's absolutely correct what someone has put on here earlier. Brits expect it to be handed on a plate and go out and p!ss it up.

Here's my opinion. Get off ya lazy ass and go get it done. The hardest working and the best always find a way to the top.

IMO the international riders have it tougher but they work harder to establish them selves.

Edited by screamer
  • Like 1

I believe there is a major misconception when it comes to what international riders receive from clubs. There are some extreme examples but in the main most riders from abroad still have to find their own way.

It's only the young potential superstars that gets sponsors & clubs throwing stuff at them but that about 2 out of 10. That is no different to potential young British superstars. Tai Woffinden is one example and now potentially Robert Lambert but they still had to work their bloody asses off.

You tend to find also that a lots of the sponsorship logos on foreign riders equipment are from abroad anyway and the majority buy their own gear. You regularly hear of foreign riders asking for and getting paid LESS than Brits. Something else that needs clearing up is this nonsense that flights are paid for. Again, there are some extremes but nearly all foreign riders have to pay and organise their own travel expense. It's been that way since the mid to late 90's. The only travel expenses covered are those from base to away track. Whether that's the airport, UK home etc. No different to how the British rider's are treated.

Some people don't like Twitter but I can tell you, it's a massive education in attitude differences between Brits & our foreign counterparts. While the Brits like to pee about having great nights out getting off their face chasing birds about the foreign guys are all about advertising themselves, searching sponsorship, searching out clubs, training hard, practising hard, already building equipment for next year etc etc.

Truth hurts but it's absolutely correct what someone has put on here earlier. Brits expect it to be handed on a plate and go out and p!ss it up.

Here's my opinion. Get off ya lazy ass and go get it done. The hardest working and the best always find a way to the top.

IMO the international riders have it tougher but they work harder to establish them selves.

That's a bit of a generalisation and some people just have more talent and flair for riding than others, irrespective of how much effort they put in.
  • Like 1

That's a bit of a generalisation and some people just have more talent and flair for riding than others, irrespective of how much effort they put in.

Is more accurate than the "generalisation" of foreign rider's that people have that is way way of the mark.

What I do agree with though, also mentioned earlier is that foreign riders on a lower average than they were assessed on shouldn't be allowed but is that harsh on those assessed on 7+ averages???

Maybe capping their lowest average to 5.00 in both league would be more accurate. If Brits require a helping hand that has to be the way.

The Swedes have got it right for next season with Phil Morris Tweeting that Svemo have given all Swedish under 21's a2 point starting average and all Swedes under 25 a 25% average reduction.

Will the BSPA grow some balls or continue to hide being the European Law bullsheet

I think you need to get out to the training tracks a bit more spend less time on twitter.

• Like 3

Just how do foreign lads on a 5 or 6. point PL average survive if they get paid less than British riders and only get the same travel expenses?

For sure there are plenty of British lads out partying instead of dedicating themselves to Speedway, there are also plenty of foreign lads doing the same thing, including some that ride over here. Equally there are riders of all nationalities, including Brits, who work very hard to get as far as possible in the sport.

• Like 3

STOP them doubling up for not just the sake of the sport but theirs too. Got told the other night that one Polish match was worth as much as five Premier League meetings. If this is the case just who the hell is advising the likes of Craig Cook ? On a more positive note, a compulsory U21 Brit in each PL team and a total of three UK born in each side.

Edited by tiberon

what are the british riders doing in the off season to get ahead of their rivals?

what are the british riders doing in the off season to get ahead of their rivals?

Most of the ones that I know, will be working in regular jobs to supplement their income and have something to invest in new equipment, including some guys of national team status.
  • Like 1

Kyle Newman is in Australia, riding and learning. I believe Andrew Tully is also in Oz, but not sure if he is racing there.

Massive generalisation on your behalf and I don't know where you get your information about foreign riders but it is not my experience.

As for going out advertsing themselves, chasing sponsorship etc, the Swedish clubs picked their riders in October and their fixtures were settled before our season finished. With exceptions, most British riders won't know who they will be riding for until after the AGM this weekend and for the NL riders, the vast majority won't know until well into the New Year. How can you chase sponsorship in those circumstances?? The AGM's should be held at the end of September. There wasn't much else going on.

As for getting out training, along with many other British youngsters, my son was at Leicester today trying out different equipment and settings in order to build on his recent progress and tomorrow morning (0600)he is at work trying to earn money to stay in the sport he loves. He doesn't expect anything on a plate and that goes for the guys he races with.

Edited by Great Central
  • Like 2

Well hopefully now, PL teams will follow the lead of the EL sides and guarantee places for UK lads to race in this country.

• Like 3