British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

These kids are at the sharp end of the NL and as your theory,will be riding for more than £10 a point I assure you,they'll pull in a bit of help here and there too

I know they are riding for more than £10 a point, but in theory they shouldn't be.

Equipment wise,you'll find these NL rides' 2 bikes sitting in the pits made up of incredibly similar set ups to the top boys,aside from some of what's inside engines-but not greatly as the area that the money all goes is in keeping things new or to as high standard as possible for as long as possible,clutch plates in machinery used in the NL/PL often have to last 2 or 3 times longer than EL when riders are on 1/3 of the money,and engines will simply have go another couple of meetings before a freshen up or rebuild

I do understand all of that and there is a huge variation in the standard of equipment in the NL and PL. However they won't need to be replacing parts as often as EL heat leaders as the riders they are against aren't of that standard and in very much the same boat they are. They also race in the NL and PL against riders who do replace these items and have equipment every bit as good as any EL rider. I would hope that there would be some decent sponsorship opportunities in the EL and that they will get help and advice with that as part of the package.

If promotors decide they need to try this approach to the reserve area of 6 and 7 then the £120 should be after a figure to cover their costs as previous import riders usually cost promoters anything from vans,board,flights and usually some form of guarantee etc,that's if their claiming that it's for the good of these lads

To be fair we don't know what is actually on offer here, only that somebody who said it was a guaranteed £120 and wasn't going to do it changed his mind when he got the full story.

4 riders at every EL meeting costing promotors peanuts is a pretty low even by their standards,labelling it as "bringing on British talent",give them more of an honest figure to help them and reward them for their commitment,if if has to come from somewhere then it should be the other end,I appreciate that the whole ins and outs aren't exactly known but surely it makes sense regardless?

My opinion is that, IF this is being done properly, they are being given an apprenticeship opportunity and those that have ambition should grab with both hands. If they get a job as an apprentice in their local garage they will get peanuts and still be expected to pay out many £1000's on building up their tools.

So as I originally posted (to which you disagreed); ill thought out, half-arsed proposals made up on the hoof. As so much appears to be attached to these changes one would imagine that the full consequences of the changes had been considered and suitable regulation drawn up before going public. It is clear that even you are awaiting the rules to be cobbled together. Elite League? More like Amateurs!

Here we go again. We have the same thing every year butt still the penny doesn't drop with some people. We have the AGM when the main structure is agreed then a few months later comes the post-AGM meeting and then the rules are published. It's not just these particular rules, so unless you have a crystal ball you don't know at this stage what the final draft of the rules will be. The season doesn't start until March so even if we were to say, for the sake of argument that the whole idea is a mess right now, what really matters is what is in force as from 1st March 2014, then you can jump up and down and stamp your feet as much as you like

I think a reserve coming out to replace a rider in the top five is a lot more likely than riders in the top five replacing each other .Even if you were correct that rule would be a lot worst

I am not saying its going to be ideal. Once you take the decision to put NL riders in an EL team there are always going to have to be compromises that reduce the overall compatibility of the competition, no doubt about that. All I am saying is there is no point in people going into overdrive and ranting about it if they don't yet fully understand how the system is going to work. Its a pity PL promoters wouldn't or couldn't have NL British reserves but we are stuck with that. Some of these things should have been started years ago and introduced more gradually but they weren't so we just have to make the best of it.

• Like 2

One of the big questions is - will the Post-AGM change it all again, if there is then a substantial TV/Sponsorship deal in place?! With a decision expected 'imminently' (according to the BSPA statement), maybe the next meeting in early December to 'allocate/draft' the NL riders, will also have a different agenda?

One of the big questions is - will the Post-AGM change it all again, if there is then a substantial TV/Sponsorship deal in place?! With a decision expected 'imminently' (according to the BSPA statement), maybe the next meeting in early December to 'allocate/draft' the NL riders, will also have a different agenda?

I don't think so Skidder. Unless the proposals hit major obstacles, there is a need both from a costs and development points of view to proceed with them. SKY(or TV money) money would be an extra bonus and help pay for the more expensive top 5 riders. Would just hope that the promoters don't then think they can repeat history and squander the TV money to out do each other, like the first time they got SKY money. :mad:

• Like 4

I don't think so Skidder. Unless the proposals hit major obstacles, there is a need both from a costs and development points of view to proceed with them. SKY(or TV money) money would be an extra bonus and help pay for the more expensive top 5 riders. Would just hope that the promoters don't then think they can repeat history and squander the TV money to out do each other, like the first time they got SKY money. :mad:

If a track stages a TV meeting then surely it is up to them to decide what they do with the fee they receive? Maybe a good use is for the promoter to utilise it for his benefit - that is the real objective of promoting anything surely?

The fee paid to a track should be calculated on the overall sum received during the season divided by the number of meetings then televised, with clubs paid that sum for each meeting they host.

If a track stages a TV meeting then surely it is up to them to decide what they do with the fee they receive? Maybe a good use is for the promoter to utilise it for his benefit - that is the real objective of promoting anything surely?

The fee paid to a track should be calculated on the overall sum received during the season divided by the number of meetings then televised, with clubs paid that sum for each meeting they host.

Of course it is, but the last time the EL promoters gave in to the new and higher demands of the top riders and the windfall cash that was new to the sport went to the riders not the promoters. This 'new' money needs to keep clubs afloat, to be able to promote the sport and keep tracks in business. It's not rocket science.

• Like 4

Of course it is, but the last time the EL promoters gave in to the new and higher demands of the top riders and the windfall cash that was new to the sport went to the riders not the promoters. This 'new' money needs to keep clubs afloat, to be able to promote the sport and keep tracks in business. It's not rocket science.

That is my feelings entirely. However, you have triggered this further thought for me: riders taking part in a TV meeting should perhaps also be paid some bonus "based on their crowd appeal" for competing in the meeting by the promoter.

Edited by Guest

So what would you do? if you had a free range of the rule book.

Stop keeping the weakest in the league . The El should only be 8 teams ( best supported ) with a decent point limits . Setting the rules to keep the likes of Eastie in has held back the others .
  • Like 1

Here we go again. We have the same thing every year butt still the penny doesn't drop with some people. We have the AGM when the main structure is agreed then a few months later comes the post-AGM meeting and then the rules are published. It's not just these particular rules, so unless you have a crystal ball you don't know at this stage what the final draft of the rules will be. The season doesn't start until March so even if we were to say, for the sake of argument that the whole idea is a mess right now, what really matters is what is in force as from 1st March 2014, then you can jump up and down and stamp your feet as much as you like

I am not saying its going to be ideal. Once you take the decision to put NL riders in an EL team there are always going to have to be compromises that reduce the overall compatibility of the competition, no doubt about that. All I am saying is there is no point in people going into overdrive and ranting about it if they don't yet fully understand how the system is going to work. Its a pity PL promoters wouldn't or couldn't have NL British reserves but we are stuck with that. Some of these things should have been started years ago and introduced more gradually but they weren't so we just have to make the best of it.

Here we go again; it is not me that has trumpeted these proposals as the "saving" of British Speedway is it? An Elite league promoter issues a press release stating, "Exciting Times Ahead" and the truth is nobody chuffing well knows do they? They don't know because all they have is a few ideas that have not been thought out; but to appease an apathetic and cynical public they have issued a press release and have hung their hat on the "Emphasis on British Youth".

They have banked on this approach being popular with the public when in reality they have no rules, regulations or whatever and this was just made up on the spot. They now have to go and fix this in time for the season to start; it really is a pathetic way to run a business and smacks of the short term thinking that has pervaded British Speedway for decades. If most businesses made policy in this way they'd go bankrupt; oh, British Speedway virtually is isn't it?

Edited by Elephantman
  • Like 1

That is my feelings entirely. However, you have triggered this further thought for me: riders taking part in a TV meeting should perhaps also be paid some bonus "based on their crowd appeal" for competing in the meeting by the promoter.

I can just imagine the crowd being handed them number paddles as they enter the stadium to vote with. A bit like "Strictly come Riding". :D

• Like 1

I can just imagine the crowd being handed them number paddles as they enter the stadium to vote with. A bit like "Strictly come Riding". :D

After heat 7 you can vote for which rider gets sent home prior to heat 8.

• Like 1

Hell no. Don't give them the paddles to vote with. Make them phone their vote to a premium rate number at 50p a go.
  • Like 1

Hell no. Don't give them the paddles to vote with. Make them phone their vote to a premium rate number at 50p a go.

Now there's an idea that needs following up. :P

• Like 1

So what would you do? if you had a free range of the rule book.

I'd leave it alone!! The rule book is fine, the way the sport is presented to market is completely wrong. If I was given free range I would outsource the marketing aspect of speedway to a marketing agency or create a marketing team at the BSPA. And no, that doesn't mean high costs at all. Certainly a lot less than they stand to lose with these silly changes.

Why view their opinion then on a website then that caters for speedway supporters? See, it's bit of a giveaway in the supporters bit. I mean speedway's hardly thriving and what we really need is spoilt men behaving like 3 year olds. But who cares if people feel the "urge' to watch polish speedway and the British league suffer more.

Because this is a British speedway forum. See, it's a bit of a giveway in the forum bit.

noun: forum; plural noun: forums; plural noun: fora
a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged

Why on Earth should I, or any other supporter, support a club financially for an inferior product when my money is then wasted on awful business strategy that has been proven not to work? There is no point living with your head in the clouds, that is the very reason the sport is in this horrible mess.

Edited by Synikalle

Now there's an idea that needs following up. :P

This could be an a good idea. Smartphone app and vote (10p charge) for rider of the night. All voters go entered into some other competition.

• Like 1