British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

He will just have to wait for next years draft!

And maybe they could use the draft system that American sports have! The team that finishes last gets first pick of the fresh young talent!

Imagine the dive in moral for the rider who gets picked last.

From what I am reading there will be two reserve heats. Previously the reserves only had an easy ride in heat 2, in their other rides they were up against the better riders in heat 4 for example two number 7's were up against the number 5's. Their average therefore was based on riding against better riders, but under this new proposal they will have a false average as they meet lesser opposition in two out of their 3 rides (assume minimum of 3 still applies) or 4 programmed rides rides (assume this is the same). My point is they could improve their average and go up into the top 5 based on a false average and struggle for a month or two before they drop down again.

They dont move from reserve! 6&7 are a fixed position!

From what I am reading there will be two reserve heats. Previously the reserves only had an easy ride in heat 2, in their other rides they were up against the better riders in heat 4 for example two number 7's were up against the number 5's. Their average therefore was based on riding against better riders, but under this new proposal they will have a false average as they meet lesser opposition in two out of their 3 rides (assume minimum of 3 still applies) or 4 programmed rides rides (assume this is the same). My point is they could improve their average and go up into the top 5 based on a false average and struggle for a month or two before they drop down again.

The riders in question will stay at reserve all season, but I don't think they will get new averages based on these equal ability races.

Imagine the dive in moral for the rider who gets picked last.

It works in american football, it keeps the leagues close and nobody gets all the big stars and best players! Isnt it the same at the start of every season when riders get dropped and replaced! Part and part of sport and professionals (yes i know there young men) should take the positives not the negatives...Prove people wrong!

This is getting more dodgy all the time.

Are we now to believe that Morris and Vatcher are going to pick a pool of low average PL riders and NL riders, and these get allocated to clubs?

I can see a lot of scope for allegations of favouritism if it's done like that.

What if they select a 19-year-old with a 3.89 average, but don't include the 17-year-old with a 3.99 average?

Surely the way to do it should have been to let clubs sign a top 5 with an average below 32, and then sign two reserves who must be British, Under 23, and with an average below the No.5

That would have been the sensible way of doing it

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 1

It works in american football, it keeps the leagues close and nobody gets all the big stars and best players! Isnt it the same at the start of every season when riders get dropped and replaced! Part and part of sport and professionals (yes i know there young men) should take the positives not the negatives...Prove people wrong!

They will probably never know if they are last picked IMO. I think there will be offers to ride declined, and I think there will be a fair amount of turmoil until it is all sorted. Then of course it will all be back on, when riders get injured and need to be replaced. Sods law would suggest the spare riders will be in the South and the new vacancy will be in the North.

• Like 1

It works in american football

I'd imagine the minimum of $6K per week that lower order draft picks make in training camp.. and then $100K for the season if they make squad softens the blow a bit...

Could be interesting if the no 4 or no 5 rider gets injured and the team has to use R/R, who is eligible to take his rides.

Be interesting to see if Olly Allen rides EL

• Like 1

I think the majority of decisions made at the recent AGM have a positive feel to them. Obviously there are areas that need to be addressed in more detail but generally I feel the promoters have tried to change things for the better. We need more structure for new British riders and fast tracking them, instead of foreigners, has to be good. There have been many questions on how it will be achieved but unlike others, I will wait for the details before offering an opinion.

Without doubt the worse announcement to come from the meeting was the closure of Peterborough Speedway. Even when there was a millionaire at the helm, prepared to plough in money, it just shows how precarious some clubs are. Sponsorship is ok, but nothing can replace the interest from supporters and the ability to run the club in a viable way. Just a shame with this announcement goes one of the best race track in the country and the club that created fierce local rivalry

Sincerely hope a buyer is found soon.

In these economic times are there people still prepared to lose money? People usually buy things that will guarantee a financial return rather than to make sure they will lose money just to satisfy an ego trip.

What's clear from all reports this year is that the EL clubs have all suffered financially for the past few years but despite that Leicester, Ipswich, Rye House and even Workington were supposedly interested in coming up despite the fact that the Sky contract is in serious doubt.

Do they know something we don't.

These couple of rule changes right or wrong are only going to please or not as seems the case the fans who already attend speedway and incase people are unsure the reason the sport is losing money is there are not enough of said fans attending .so my question is where is the vision for the future to attract new or even ex supporters to speedway

• Like 2

Anyone who thinks this decision about the reserves was to aid their development is deluded.... They are being used as a tool to cut costs pure and simple.

It would be a travesty should Kings Lynn not get Lambert and Kerr.... I just can't see how the Bspa can allocate clubs assets or those that they've helped develop for years to another club??

It's like going to work, doing a cracking job and your company director punching your lights out....

Say Belle Vue get Lewis Kerr, why the hell should the lad have to travel to travel every week, costing him a fortune when his local track is round the corner.... It's a whitewash I think

• Like 2

I read on one site today that the lads from the NL with ride against one reserve race and one race against the lower order of the opposite team. So it looks like one race between 6/7 and one between 6/7 and 4/5 so that race should give them a bit of competion to strive for without facing the top order boys.

Only real problem for the NL lads is where does the money come from to help them get their bike tuned well enogh to compete at that little bit extra that they can get from their machines.

I am sure most of them run on a vey tight shoestring budget and any extra cost to them will be vey hard to come by.

I just hope that the teams they ride for give them all the support they will need to be competative in the EL.

It could turn out quite well if things are done properly.

Could be interesting if the no 4 or no 5 rider gets injured and the team has to use R/R, who is eligible to take his rides.

Be interesting to see if Olly Allen rides EL

Why?? Its never been that interesting previously.....!! :wink::D

• Like 1

the trouble is even if this works in 2014, what on earth happens the year after?

There won't be a "year after".