British Speedway Forum
brewer

14 Home And Away League

But last year's format (while fine for a few) had many clubs finishing official fixtures by the end of August! More official matches are required -- hence the conference system. No problem for the realists.

You say many clubs are finished by end of August, not sure there was many, many clubs however were struggling to complete their fixtures, as far as I remember the cup competitions went into October, Somerset winning the League on a wet last day of the season. It would make more sense that if we have a dry summer for a change, and with few rain offs, and if some teams finish their fixtures early, that the BSPA declare another end of season competition, which is open to any teams (not compulsory) who wish to take part. Does not matter what you call it or the format. With this Mickey Mouse choose your own teams system, you don't know before the start of the season who will be the weak teams or the strong teams, especially when injuries come into play. You will find some clubs playing twice against bottom of the League clubs and some playing twice against top of the League clubs, hardly a level playing field to decide the champions.

Ipswich have 'drawn' Peterborough and Rye house for their 2 teams

Ipswich meet Rye at home on May 31st and 26th June, Somerset have also drawn Rye House to double with and meet them at home on 6th June and 8th August. I don't know how many teams have chosen Rye House, but presumably every team could double with Rye or is there a limit, would be interested to know, how or what priority this system works.

You say many clubs are finished by end of August, not sure there was many, many clubs however were struggling to complete their fixtures, as far as I remember the cup competitions went into October, Somerset winning the League on a wet last day of the season. It would make more sense that if we have a dry summer for a change, and with few rain offs, and if some teams finish their fixtures early, that the BSPA declare another end of season competition, which is open to any teams (not compulsory) who wish to take part. Does not matter what you call it or the format. With this Mickey Mouse choose your own teams system, you don't know before the start of the season who will be the weak teams or the strong teams, especially when injuries come into play. You will find some clubs playing twice against bottom of the League clubs and some playing twice against top of the League clubs, hardly a level playing field to decide the champions.

If you look at the fixtures I think you'll find that these 'extra' fixtures have been fitted in throughout the season and not at the end so the factors you are alluding to shouldn't be that much of an issue.

As for Somerset struggling to complete their fixtures I think that was down to them being involved in all competitions to their completion and their number one having a similar situation in the Elite League.

Edited by Steve55

Ipswich meet Rye at home on May 31st and 26th June, Somerset have also drawn Rye House to double with and meet them at home on 6th June and 8th August. I don't know how many teams have chosen Rye House, but presumably every team could double with Rye or is there a limit, would be interested to know, how or what priority this system works.

EXACTLY

Yet another 'silly' System brought in without any thought for the Supporters. Actually :-

WITHOUT ANY THOUGHT AT ALL!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Like 1

If you look at the fixtures I think you'll find that these 'extra' fixtures have been fitted in throughout the season and not at the end so the factors you are alluding to shouldn't be that much of an issue.

As for Somerset struggling to complete their fixtures I think that was down to them being involved in all competitions to their completion and their number one having a similar situation in the Elite League.

They weren't involved in the LC finals.

The 'conference' system, when clubs do not play every opponent the same number of times, has worked successfully in the four major American sports for many years. The most financially-viable sports leagues in the world, I would think.

Better to have a full list of meaningful fixtures than run through a short list and be finished before the kids are even back at school.

• Like 2

......... but presumably every team could double with Rye or is there a limit, would be interested to know, how or what priority this system works.

Can't see how, because if they did Rye would then have 24 away fixtures!!!!!!!!

The 'conference' system, when clubs do not play every opponent the same number of times, has worked successfully in the four major American sports for many years. The most financially-viable sports leagues in the world, I would think.

Better to have a full list of meaningful fixtures than run through a short list and be finished before the kids are even back at school.

The only difference is that the US "extra" matches are not picked or done by geography but are based on a rotation over X amount of years so that you play all opponents over the course of the rotation; thus removing the bias that others are referring to here.

Whether you end up playing easier teams or harder teams is then based on luck of the draw and is the same for all.

The only difference is that the US "extra" matches are not picked or done by geography but are based on a rotation over X amount of years so that you play all opponents over the course of the rotation; thus removing the bias that others are referring to here.

Whether you end up playing easier teams or harder teams is then based on luck of the draw and is the same for all.

That's fine - until they change the System in TWO years time. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It HAS happened before. :rolleyes::angry:

Well according to the B.S.P.A website:-

PLAY-OFF PICTURE - HOW IT WORKS
- Teams race 24 meetings (12 home, 12 away). The top six then go forward to the play-offs.
- The play-offs are split into two groups of three teams. Teams finishing 1st and 2nd after the initial 24 meetings get to choose the two teams they wish to have in their play-off group. A total of a further 4 meetings are then raced in each group (2 home, 2 away).
- The winner of each group then race off over two legs in the Grand Final. Winners of the Grand Final are crowned Premier League Champions.

Well according to the B.S.P.A website:-

PLAY-OFF PICTURE - HOW IT WORKS

- Teams race 24 meetings (12 home, 12 away). The top six then go forward to the play-offs.

- The play-offs are split into two groups of three teams. Teams finishing 1st and 2nd after the initial 24 meetings get to choose the two teams they wish to have in their play-off group. A total of a further 4 meetings are then raced in each group (2 home, 2 away).

- The winner of each group then race off over two legs in the Grand Final. Winners of the Grand Final are crowned Premier League Champions.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :nono:

In light of the thread title, I thought the reference to

" -Teams race 24 meetings (12 home, 12 away)."

would be the more relevant part. :wink:

I think they just havent updated from last years set up.

RH's extra fixtures are against Ipswich & Somerset.

Ipswich's extra fixtures are against RH & Peterborough.

Peterborough have got Ipswich & Plymouth.

Somerset have got RH & Plymouth.

Having looked at this, it's clearly another mini-group - so maybe the top two from these extra fixtures can meet in an "extra fixture south" final, and the winners of that go into a mini group with the winners of the "extra fixtures midlands" and "extra fixtures north" groups, to determine the "extra fixtures PL mini-group" Champions?

Edited by Had Enough

Well The White Knight is up in arms about it. That normally means it's a damn good idea, but they just didn't happen to be doing it in 1972. :t::P

Personally, I have no problem with it. You set the number of fixtures according to what the number of fixtures that the clubs and fans want.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

Well The White Knight is up in arms about it. They normally means it's a damn good idea, but they just didn't happen to be doing it in 1972. :t::P

Personally, I have no problem with it. You set the number of fixtures according to what the number of fixtures that the clubs and fans want.

All the best

Rob

How many fans, from how many clubs, were asked how many fixtures they wanted?

In fact, when was the last time fans were asked what they wanted in general?

• Like 2