British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Elite League Draft Riders

I think that thinking is a little naive.

If there was an out-and-out future superstar in the draft,and Poole had first pick, do you really think they would ignore him just because he lived in,say, Sheffield?

It could mean then that the rider would drop out from the picks. With a bit more sensible picking all can be accommodated. That's life.

They are the only ones?

"These riders are: Lewis Kerr (King’s Lynn), Kyle Newman (Poole), Adam Ellis (Lakeside) and Ashley Morris (Wolverhampton). Should these riders not be selected by their parent clubs, they will return to the draft and be available to other clubs."

I assume the reality doesn't meet the wording. Surely the four teams must make their claim on their asset pre-draft. Otherwise Poole will simply pass on Newman at 10 and pick the best rider below the 9th ranked at that point, and then nab Newman with the 11th pick !!!

These riders are: Lewis Kerr (King’s Lynn), Kyle Newman (Poole), Adam Ellis (Lakeside) and Ashley Morris (Wolverhampton). Should these riders not be selected by their parent clubs, they will return to the draft and be available to other clubs.

Selections from the list of remaining available riders will then commence in reverse order from the Elite League’s 2013 finishing positions, including the play-offs. Coventry will therefore receive the first pick, followed by Belle Vue, Eastbourne, Leicester (who are deemed to have taken the place of Peterborough), Lakeside, King’s Lynn, Wolverhampton, Swindon, Birmingham and Poole.

Clubs who have already selected their own asset at this stage will not make a selection, and there is no requirement to select a rider from the top ten.

If you look at the club most affected, then you'll work out why the location based scenario has been dropped but the protected asset idea kept.

Something's never change.

And are you really surprised

The list doesn't tell us who is eligible, just those who have accepted. Birks may be eligible and offered but may have turned it down due injury or other reasons.

I suspect though he isn't eligible due to having an actual EL average. I think Newman has only ever been assessed.

I too wonder how this will actually be implemented as it is open to the normal abuse by EL promoters.

Out of interest, does anybody know how many of the 23 riders are EL assets?

I hope the promoters stick with who they pick as if there are any riders kicking on in the NL this year Such as Danny Phillips, Luke Crang etc then rider the 'B' riders might start becoming 'unavailable' and tey will get their chance next year

Edited by TMW

Ha ha. Brilliant. They've changed it already.

It was changed almost immediately after the AGM when some explained it was both NL and PL. Look back through the earlier discussion on the British Promoters Meeting thread.

As someone said earlier, do people not read bulletins.

Edited by Tsunami

These riders are: Lewis Kerr (King’s Lynn), Kyle Newman (Poole), Adam Ellis (Lakeside) and Ashley Morris (Wolverhampton). Should these riders not be selected by their parent clubs, they will return to the draft and be available to other clubs.

Selections from the list of remaining available riders will then commence in reverse order from the Elite League’s 2013 finishing positions, including the play-offs. Coventry will therefore receive the first pick, followed by Belle Vue, Eastbourne, Leicester (who are deemed to have taken the place of Peterborough), Lakeside, King’s Lynn, Wolverhampton, Swindon, Birmingham and Poole.

Clubs who have already selected their own asset at this stage will not make a selection, and there is no requirement to select a rider from the top ten.

Thanks Neil, I should have carried on reading, and got my answer !!!

Wasn't what I was implying as who knows where they would end up & it should be riders of the likes of them who are helped but given the list below then the powers that be decide that both are not on it.

But no surprise Kyle Newman a Poole assert & Premier Lge 2nd string is.

Someone explain that to me please or am I just being anti-Poole again???

Yep, again.

Edited by Tsunami

So why isn't he a protected asset like the rest?

Probably because A Cov don't want him or B because he has gone back on the list because he has turned them down

I think!!!!!!

Edited by TMW

Because only assets in the first round of picks can be protected, he is in the second round.

Only top ten riders are protected.

If Coventry protected Sarjeant, then Coventry's first pick (overall) would need to be downgraded to Number 4. With an argument that there are three riders ahead of the others at the moment and only one draftable, that Coventry wouldn't actually be keen on that anyway.

Only top ten riders are protected.

If Coventry protected Sarjeant, then Coventry's first pick (overall) would need to be downgraded to Number 4. With an argument that there are three riders ahead of the others at the moment and only one draftable, that Coventry wouldn't actually be keen on that anyway.

So they could pick Jacobs and Sarj that way.....Fair enough (the devil is in the detail isn't it)

Edited by TMW

Not disputing it, as I said, not looked at the indivdual riders involved in any detail.

In these cases its always a case of working out where the biggest drop off is and basing your picks on that.

Then the system would very quickly fall on its head.

As others have said, by agreeing to take part in the draft, the riders must be in agreement that they join the team that selects them.

I actually agree with you. But there is always some circumstances which might make it difficult for a rider to go to a certain track(travel on a certain day, had a bad smash there, hates the track, hates the promotion from previous dealings,etc, and these could scupper the move and some other arrangement have to be made, possibly a swop. History with the previous rider control will tell you it is not straight forward, but doesn't say it won't work in the end.

Im really hoping Coventry pick Garrity as capable of beating the other riders in the list and some 2nd strings