British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Elite League Draft Riders

Disagree. Auty`s failure to progress last season has clearly put some promoters off.It would be unfair to put Auty into the draft because he would be everyone's choice pick as reserve. If the likes of Howarth and Lambert dont feel daunted by being in the 1-5 then why should someone like Auty have the luxury of a reserve berth again??I agree that the draft isn't perfect. From what i can see the promoters are trying to all put out there best sides 1-5 that they can.There will always be casualties of the rules every season.It is a shame that Auty (so far) doesn't have a starting 1-5 EL team place, but did he really progress as he should of this season??

He actually did ok in the top five,and he is better than his average suggests.Orion is right the likes of Auty, Howarth,Birks,Summers,Fricke,Ellis,Kerr,(ect) should be reserves striving to be regular top 5 riders.This watered down product now looks a sham to me a 12 pound a week sport at best.

He actually did ok in the top five,and he is better than his average suggests.Orion is right the likes of Auty, Howarth,Birks,Summers,Fricke,Ellis,Kerr,(ect) should be reserves striving to be regular top 5 riders.This watered down product now looks a sham to me a 12 pound a week sport at best.

Nice to see you drop an aussie in there.

He did OK but clearly not well enough for promoters to take a gamble on it seems. I think he could be ok at number 2 personally.

I agree the riders mentioned SHOULD be reserves as well, only if the top 5 is a lot stronger than the points limit set allowed.

Not sure why you included summers and fricke on a list of British riders tho!

The riders who look like they might get somewhere at international level have made it into EL 1-5s or are on the draft list. I think some people don't see reality because of emotion or something. There WILL be opportunities as people drop out of team line-ups for one reason or another, it's up to riders to put themselves at the top of the list.

Josh Auty, Adam Roynon & Ashley Birks are all young British riders who have been kicked on the nuts by the rule.

Be interesting in a couple of years where these guys are & the ones who have been gifted a place at reserve this season.

but you're forgetting Lambert, Smart and Starke have places now so can show their obvious potential.

Auty has reached his potential and will be no more than a EL reserve/second string IMO

• Like 2

Auty has reached his potential and will be no more than a EL reserve/second string IMO

Possibly, some said Iversen had reached his level a few years back and would only ever be a back up leader!

And many said Tai was just making the numbers up in the GP`s this year!

Not quite a fair comparison, but you get the idea ;-)

He did OK but clearly not well enough for promoters to take a gamble on it seems. I think he could be ok at number 2 personally.I agree the riders mentioned SHOULD be reserves as well, only if the top 5 is a lot stronger than the points limit set allowed.Not sure why you included summers and fricke on a list of British riders tho!

Generally was what i meant the actual standard at reserve whatever nation they came from which you have to admit looks pretty poor. The PL supporters and i am one of them must be laughing there socks off.

Generally was what i meant the actual standard at reserve whatever nation they came from which you have to admit looks pretty poor. The PL supporters and i am one of them must be laughing there socks off.

Thats a valid point you make regards the standard of reserves.

Cant see what the PL supporters have to laugh at. Some of those on the draft are PL reserves anyway!

but you're forgetting Lambert, Smart and Starke have places now so can show their obvious potential.

Smart has had more than enough chances as has Simon Lambett & the less said about Paul Starke after the part he had in Ricky Ashworth's accident the better.

Edited by Crazy robin

Smart has had more than enough chances as has Simon Lambett & the less said about Paul Starke after the part he had in Ricky Ashworth's accident the better.

That's a rather nasty post. Lambert and Smart were chosen by their respective promoters in preference to other riders on the list, as far as I know Berwick intended having Paul Starke back this year but he wanted (and found) a spot nearer home. It's in everyone's interest to have the Draft riders do well and encourage them.

That's a rather nasty post. Lambert and Smart were chosen by their respective promoters in preference to other riders on the list, as far as I know Berwick intended having Paul Starke back this year but he wanted (and found) a spot nearer home. It's in everyone's interest to have the Draft riders do well and encourage them.

It's not a nasty post at all but a reality post on the 3 riders & show me facts that would show me otherwise?.

Which will be alot better than 95% of the riders in the draft will achieve.

It's not a nasty post at all but a reality post on the 3 riders & show me facts that would show me otherwise?.

Which will be alot better than 95% of the riders in the draft will achieve.

The remark about Paul Starke was uncalled for, as I said "Berwick stuck by him". Crashes happen, are you blaming Tai for Gollobs injuries and others for all the other injuries that riders have had over the years? The other two riders WERE selected in preference to others and deserve their chance. Not everyone will turn into an international from the Draft, but if it brings on some of them to a higher level it will have been well worthwhile.

The remark about Paul Starke was uncalled for, as I said "Berwick stuck by him". Crashes happen, are you blaming Tai for Gollobs injuries and others for all the other injuries that riders have had over the years? The other two riders WERE selected in preference to others and deserve their chance. Not everyone will turn into an international from the Draft, but if it brings on some of them to a higher level it will have been well worthwhile.

There are things I could say but I'll leave it to the riders who witnessed Ricky's crash & gave their opinions on it.