British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Elite League Draft Riders

I'm think the PL promoters want whoever is on a good average or a good prospect at reserve. I doubt they care about nationality either way. And there's nothing wrong with that.

There is something wrong with it when it is combined with an asset system that makes giving a British lad an extended run to find his feet worthless while doing the same for a foreign lad is a far better gamble

• Like 1

52 pages ? Isn't it about time you all put it to bed and wait for the wheels to start turning......just saying

• Like 1

There is something wrong with it when it is combined with an asset system that makes giving a British lad an extended run to find his feet worthless while doing the same for a foreign lad is a far better gamble

Yep.

Take two fairly equal youngsters who join a British club. One British and one foreign. Both make a solid start and get a reasonable average, but one that's too high to be a "filler" but equally to high for teams to invest when they can get another newbie who may do better but costs less in average terms.

The foreigner goes back to his home country, continues his improvement. Meanwhile his British average remains unchanged.

Meanwhile the Brit hasn't had opportunities abroad, too much home grown talent filling up the teams. His average is difficult because it isn't seen as value, he did a bit too well. Team places are hard to come by, the winter goes by and nothing on offer. Hard to plan. But he's keen, so jumps at the first opportunity that appears mid season. Does well. Pushes his average up a bit further. Similar happens the next year. He really needs needs more meetings and more job guarantee.

The Brit invests heavily in the next off season to push on further and he's promised a spot. But then the bombshell. His club realise that the latest new foreigner actually comes in on a higher average than expected. But not to worry, there are options here. Suddenly the original foreigner becomes a bargain, not only has he improved beyond his frozen British average, but the level of the league has dropped, further enhancing his average. A bit better than the Brit as he's had job security back home and thus more racing. But his old now false average helps here. Solves all problems. The Brit loses his team spot just before the season starts.

The Brit looks at his bank balance and realises this isn't a career for his young family and decides to move on. The foreigner doesn't complete the season, as the next wonder foreigner replaces him. He'll come back again the next time his talent outweighs his average.

Yes you can pick holes galore in this, but the point is a system must be in place to support British riders. Enhance it with foreign riders by all means. This shouldn't be about British riders reducing the level of quality, but about providing them with the opportunity to mix at a higher level. Without homegrown grass roots a sport is going to struggle, especially one that is struggling to retain the elite world class competitors. If anything Tai's success last year should only highlight why the pyramid beneath him needs strengthening.

• Like 1

Yep.

Take two fairly equal youngsters who join a British club. One British and one foreign. Both make a solid start and get a reasonable average, but one that's too high to be a "filler" but equally to high for teams to invest when they can get another newbie who may do better but costs less in average terms.

The foreigner goes back to his home country, continues his improvement. Meanwhile his British average remains unchanged.

Meanwhile the Brit hasn't had opportunities abroad, too much home grown talent filling up the teams. His average is difficult because it isn't seen as value, he did a bit too well. Team places are hard to come by, the winter goes by and nothing on offer. Hard to plan. But he's keen, so jumps at the first opportunity that appears mid season. Does well. Pushes his average up a bit further. Similar happens the next year. He really needs needs more meetings and more job guarantee.

The Brit invests heavily in the next off season to push on further and he's promised a spot. But then the bombshell. His club realise that the latest new foreigner actually comes in on a higher average than expected. But not to worry, there are options here. Suddenly the original foreigner becomes a bargain, not only has he improved beyond his frozen British average, but the level of the league has dropped, further enhancing his average. A bit better than the Brit as he's had job security back home and thus more racing. But his old now false average helps here. Solves all problems. The Brit loses his team spot just before the season starts.

The Brit looks at his bank balance and realises this isn't a career for his young family and decides to move on. The foreigner doesn't complete the season, as the next wonder foreigner replaces him. He'll come back again the next time his talent outweighs his average.

Yes you can pick holes galore in this, but the point is a system must be in place to support British riders. Enhance it with foreign riders by all means. This shouldn't be about British riders reducing the level of quality, but about providing them with the opportunity to mix at a higher level. Without homegrown grass roots a sport is going to struggle, especially one that is struggling to retain the elite world class competitors. If anything Tai's success last year should only highlight why the pyramid beneath him needs strengthening.

Certainly can, you should write novels. :P

Agree totally though with the rest of your last para.

Think it's more simple than that.

British lad is bought in who is an asset of another team, maybe they even loan him out for free. He does 2 or 3 meetings but doesn't make his average, there is no point in giving him time to find his feet as all you will be doing is training him for his home club.

Foreign lad comes in and fails to make his average, however if you continue to let him learn there is a chance that he will make the grade eventually. By then he will be a club asset and therefore have a financial value to that club.

The PL didnt want Brits at reserve hence many of the sides having shocking foreigners filling spots. I know what id prefer to spend my money on, the reserve heats will be entertaining. They can and will take points off each other and im glad we wont have a MJJ/Pawlicki at reserve.

Why on earth would it be more entertaining ? and Reserves always take points of each other .

The PL didnt want Brits at reserve hence many of the sides having shocking foreigners filling spots. I know what id prefer to spend my money on, the reserve heats will be entertaining. They can and will take points off each other and im glad we wont have a MJJ/Pawlicki at reserve.

An mjj or pawlicki would be a heat leader surely?!? The el would be fantastic if u had that calibre at reserve?

This rule has been so badly implemented. We now have no Auty, Birks or Roynon in the EL.

Only until the rule is changed at the Promoters January meeting!!!! :wink:

I believe that in reality Elite League clubs should have had taken just "one draft rider" not two, at made them ride at no.7, with a select view as back up to cover injuries etc. This way the club could work with one british youngster and bring him on throughout the season instead of putting two eggs in one basket. I think solely working with one rider over the season would bring that rider on leaps and bounds, do we just want to produce average riders which is what will happen dividing time between 2 riders per team, or do we want to produce more world class level riders, i think we would have more chance doing this solely concentrating on one per team

• Like 2

I believe that in reality Elite League clubs should have had taken just "one draft rider" not two, at made them ride at no.7, with a select view as back up to cover injuries etc. This way the club could work with one british youngster and bring him on throughout the season instead of putting two eggs in one basket. I think solely working with one rider over the season would bring that rider on leaps and bounds, do we just want to produce average riders which is what will happen dividing time between 2 riders per team, or do we want to produce more world class level riders, i think we would have more chance doing this solely concentrating on one per team

In my opinion the priority should be exactly to produce more 'average' riders to populate the leagues. World class riders will get there whatever the system but there is a better chance of finding them if more kids get on a Speedway bike knowing they will get opportunities to progress.

• Like 6

That's like hanging on for dear life by your finger tips I agree with the 2. It makes it fairer all round and gives the draft lads something to work with.

• Like 1

There were comments that the likes of Ashley Birks and a couple of others who lost out because of the new rules and that something may be done at the bspa meeting in Jan, I wonder if any of these riders may be included.

Edited by A ORLOV

This is the full draft list as at 29 Nov:

The full list of riders available, in order of ranking, is as follows: Lewis Kerr, Jason Garrity, Kyle Newman, Lewis Blackbird, Stefan Nielsen, Adam Ellis, Ashley Morris, Paul Starke, Joe Jacobs, Tom Perry, Simon Lambert, Steve Worrall, Lee Smart, Ben Reade, Josh Bates, Daniel Halsey, James Sarjeant, Ben Morley, Ben Hopwood, Lewis Rose, Max Clegg, Darryl Ritchings, Dan Greenwood.

What is the ruling if we 'run out of' the 23 draft reserve riders?

With 20 assigned, and 3 'spare', what happens if another 2 riders like Josh Bates withdraw from the system?

I assume that Swindon will need to simply pick from one of the 3 remaining riders to fill in Josh's place?

I can already see a situation where teams will move out there draft reserves and instead try and replace them with riders who were not part of the original draft list which would be a complete farce.