British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Elite League Draft Riders

Why would we want to ? we have Richie Worrall .

I think you might be in for a shock. :-)

• Like 1

Steve actually...

Even Better

• Like 1

Are you being intentionally stupid.

Where did I say anything about the PL doing anything.

Tell that to the Pl clubs who have (have) Danes, Aussies and Argentinians, Czechs and pretty much anyone with a bike in reserve in recent years. Maybe if it'll save money having Brits Glasgow might like to try signing a few for a change for a start.

So we try to reverse this trend and you still moan.

Good job some folks just get on with the job that has to be done, and ignore some others.

I think this is getting lost in translation now! I don't think Tsunami was referring to the PL in any of his responses, even if it sounded like that to you - that's the way I see it anyway!

Move on!

Edited by TesarRacing

Tbf scb specifically commented on pl, to which tsunami replied about trying to reverse the trend and scb still moaning.

It may not have been tsunamis intent, but I think most would intetpret the redponse the same way scb did.

• Like 3

The AGM statement said.....

"This is a major shot in the arm for our young British riders and will fast-track their development, which will in turn encourage more youngsters to enter the sport."

Nothing about cost cutting?

How do you know the PL wasn't the preferred option for the draft?

Like I said, get rid of foreign 'learners' and put Brits in instead. It's a win win.

I don't know who you support but would you really want to go and see Gormolski instead of Worrall or Szczepaniak instead of Garrity?

As much as I liked Ostergaard's attitude I won't miss him, Ales Dryml comes across as a decent bloke who has served British speedway well but I doubt he will be missed either.

The same can be said of several other foreign riders who have filled middle and lower order team spots with commitment and honest effort but in almost every case they will not really be missed.

Of course the statement said that, they're not going to make a statement saying 'This is our new initiative. To be honest we put it in place because 4 or 5 clubs are close to going to the wall'. John Cook was very clear with the intentions before the AGM, see his statement earlier in the thread, E I Addio posted it. As I said, if it was genuinely for the benefit of younger riders then it would be in the PL, why do you think it wasn't introduced there - were the EL promoters so desperate to help Britain's young riders they just wouldn't let the PL have such a good idea?

And regarding riders, I couldn't give a monkey's where they come from, it doesn't enhance or detract from my enjoyment of a speedway meeting one little bit, and I suspect I'm far from alone in that.

Edited by Kester
  • Like 3

Having read this thread, there are quite a few posters on here, that have strong and positives views some, no doubt are representatives of the BSPA. Unfortunately, I cannot share their enthusiasm and feel only negatives will come from the changes that have been made.

The biggest problem with our sport is the lack of ‘BUMS on SEATS’. This can be proportioned to many reasons:- Admission has become too expensive, Representing little value for money, Bad Stadiums, Badly prepared race-tracks that creates no close racing hence little excitement , No atmosphere., No equality between the teams, continued underhanded stunts pulled by some promotions purely for their own means at the expense of the sport, the list goes on and on, all of which have a bearing on the lack of support. Fast tracking British youngsters to the top league will not repair any of those problems.

I understand the financial issues the promoters face when putting on meetings and any chance of making it more affordable has to be considered. But fast tracking these Draft riders is not an answer and all it will do is create more loopholes for the same Promoters to exploit.

I believe any rules that promotes British riders is a positive move, but it need to be done in a structured and progressive way. To take riders from the lower league and throw them straight into the Elite league is asking for problems. Talk about out of their depth. Whereas if they were to use the Premier as the stepping stone the transition would have been easier.

Taking on the thoughts of introducing new talent, this should have been done in a structured and progressive way. Like:

A) At the start of each season, each PL club should each have one new British rider at No 7, who had rode in NL but didn’t have PL Av, and would start on an assessed score of 3. Plus one other Brit rider in the 1 to 6, all governed by the points restriction.

B)At the start of each season, Each EL club should each have one new British rider at No 7, who had rode in PL but didn’t have EL Av, and would start on an assessed score of 3. Plus one other Brit rider in the 1 to 6, all governed by the points restriction.

This way, would have done away with the need of a draft system, as each club could source their own riders, and also eliminate the need of altering the heat format in the leagues. Once we start altering the heat formulas to protect the out of depth riders, then the existing CMA becomes useless. Probably, this won’t become evident to some, until the season starts. But when looking at the proposals, it is said the heat leaders will be racing each more often, as will the 2nd strings and reserves.. In this situation, the heat leaders will find it more difficult to score points and therefore the CMA will drop. A good 2nd string could benefit big time and his CMA could soar. Now it gets really interesting. The promoter can, either, drop the high scoring 2nd String and replace him with a proven star SGP rider within his average, or even change the riding order enabling a star rider to be the 2nd String. Either way, it will defeat the object of protecting the out of depth rider, that the new heat format was brought in to do.

I wish I could be more positive about this idea, but all I see is problems and loopholes that will in evidently be exploited. We go back to the start of this post about the Bums on Seats, and I cannot see this idea, answering any of those problems.

Thanks for your time…..

Edited by GRW123
  • Like 3

I don't know who you support but would you really want to go and see Gormolski instead of Worrall or Szczepaniak instead of Garrity?

Nearly every fan would want to see the better ride or player in any sport ..Garrity and Richie Worrall would become el riders anyhow ...change thou's names to Bates and Smart etc and put them with the Poles for a more real view of what is going on .

Of course the statement said that, they're not going to make a statement saying 'This is our new initiative. To be honest we put it in place because 4 or 5 clubs are close to going to the wall'. John Cook was very clear with the intentions before the AGM, see his statement earlier in the thread, E I Addio posted it. As I said, if it was genuinely for the benefit of younger riders then it would be in the PL, why do you think it wasn't introduced there - were the EL promoters so desperate to help Britain's young riders they just wouldn't let the PL have such a good idea?

And regarding riders, I couldn't give a monkey's where they come from, it doesn't enhance or detract from my enjoyment of a speedway meeting one little bit, and I suspect I'm far from alone in that.

PL Promoters didn't want any major tinkering with their team building regulations - and theres more of them so they probably outvoted their EL counterparts!!

• Like 2

The PL didnt want Brits at reserve hence many of the sides having shocking foreigners filling spots. I know what id prefer to spend my money on, the reserve heats will be entertaining. They can and will take points off each other and im glad we wont have a MJJ/Pawlicki at reserve.

• Like 1

The PL didnt want Brits at reserve hence many of the sides having shocking foreigners filling spots. I know what id prefer to spend my money on, the reserve heats will be entertaining. They can and will take points off each other and im glad we wont have a MJJ/Pawlicki at reserve.

Is that a fact or you just guessing? probably the second one

Is that a fact or you just guessing? probably the second one

Its my opinion. Looking at what riders the PL are signing id say they dont want to know.

Its my opinion. Looking at what riders the PL are signing id say they dont want to know.

Here is a wee fact for you out of the 8 PL teams that have been announced 12 of the possible 16 reserve spots have been taken up by Brits thats 75% of them!

Now you said that PL league teams didn't want Brits at reserve well this kind of proves otherwise

• Like 1

Here is a wee fact for you out of the 8 PL teams that have been announced 12 of the possible 16 reserve spots have been taken up by Brits thats 75% of them!

Now you said that PL league teams didn't want Brits at reserve well this kind of proves otherwise

I'm think the PL promoters want whoever is on a good average or a good prospect at reserve. I doubt they care about nationality either way. And there's nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1