British Speedway Forum
a4poster

When Will The New Race Format Be Out & How Can Teams Name Riders When They Don't Know It?

Would you like to join the gang. No stringent entry criteria.

Rule 1 though is you are not allowed to post sh!t on here. You could be blackballed on that one actually

I would respectfully decline.

• Like 1

Have to say this a classic topic ..on the last page I reckon I saw Stevebrum moaning about someone having the last word :rofl: if that was not ironic enough he then said he was leaving the topic only then to reply to the person he said he was giving the last word to .

Edited by orion
  • Like 2

Have to say this a classic topic ..on the last page I reckon I saw Stevebrum moaning about someone having the last word :rofl: if that was not ironic enough he then said he was leaving the topic only then to reply to the person he said he was giving the last word to .

... who replied to have the last word. Typical orion - tells half a story as per.

Back on thread, did anyone ever find where it was stated that the reserve riders would ONLY race against second strings?

Not that I can find.

It was Jon Cook that said about an extra reserves race being included in the programme.

And it was the ever-cryptic Philip Rising that said that he had 'heard' that the reserves would be 'protected' in the format.

But no, I can't find anything that categorically states that reserves would definitely not be programmed against heat leaders at all.

Not official anyway.

Can anyone help as it seems a little wasteful to spend all this effort thinking of race formats that are not even working on the same wavelength as the people creating the real thing.

We'll all see the 15xheat format in the first meeting racecard/programme - well all those bothering to actually attend a meeting will see it!! :shock:

• Like 3

Back on thread, did anyone ever find where it was stated that the reserve riders would ONLY race against second strings?

First noticed it here

For the umpteenth time, for your and Vincent's eyes, read the rules. RESERVES DON"T RACE AGAINST THE TOP MAN. Is that clear now ?

Posted on the Panthers' thread.

I then posted this

Having been away some time minus a lap-top and not bothering with internet cafes, I haven't read every thread on this forum so, instead of shouting reserves won't ride against the top guys how about saying 'this won't happen because this IS happening' rather then 'it won't happen because this ISN'T happening'. Reserves have taken the rides of injured riders in the past so presumably this is no longer the case and an alternative rule has come in to cover R/R for the third fourth and fifth average riders.

And this was the answer

Correct

... who replied to have the last word. Typical orion - tells half a story as per.

It's not really possible to have "the last word" - all you can do is say that you are having your last word on the subject, and mean it (!)

Maybe we could have a The White Knight versus The Rest thread, to keep this all going separately from the real debates?

As for a new race format: typical really that they haven't published anything yet ...

Anyway look, less of the side-tracking, I need to know desperately "When will the New Race Format be out" well before the start of the season as it looks like the "Sky Sports New Deal" posters are bored now and piling into this thread!!! ;)

There's an interview with Jon Cook I read where I am sure he stated that it would benefit the NL riders more to be chasing riders like Darcy Ward than lesser riders...

Can you identify the interview ? As far as I am aware he has made no public comments specifically stating whether reserves would have protected heats, although all the powers that be seem to imply that will be the case without actually saying so.

Can you identify the interview ? As far as I am aware he has made no public comments specifically stating whether reserves would have protected heats, although all the powers that be seem to imply that will be the case without actually saying so.

I'll try and find it, it was in an old speedway star, I'm about 2 months behind on reading them online!

Just to clarify while I am looking for it, Cook didn't mention protected heats at all in what I saw, his comment was along the lines of its more beneficial to be chasing a rider like Ward than a rider of their own level.

Ok found it.. to be honest, it doesn't really cast any light on the situation at all..

It says

"To be rubbing shoulders with the likes of Tai Woffinden and Darcy Ward will give these riders inspiration. It's a great thing and those riders will learn so much more chasing a better rider than they will chasing someone who is not of that ilk"

Now when I read it the first time, the 'of that ilk' appeared to refer to Woffinden/Ward. It is a little open to conjecture I suppose.

It's in the Nov 23rd edition on page 3.. "Fast tracking Future" article.

Edited by BWitcher

Just to clarify while I am looking for it, Cook didn't mention protected heats at all in what I saw, his comment was along the lines of its more beneficial to be chasing a rider like Ward than a rider of their own level.

That is my recollection too.

It was Philip Rising, in the BSF thread on the AGM, who said the word 'protected' as he had 'heard' it.

It says

"To be rubbing shoulders with the likes of Tai Woffinden and Darcy Ward will give these riders inspiration. It's a great thing and those riders will learn so much more chasing a better rider than they will chasing someone who is not of that ilk"

'Rubbing shoulders' aren't they more likely to be trailing a distant third* in front of a yawning bored crowd? * Or second if the reference isn't meaning two in the same race.

Edited by manchesterpaul
  • Like 1

Jon Cook Speedway Star November 23rd and I quote

" These riders will be having their rides against their fellow reserves on two occasions and be taking their other rides AGAINST SECOND STRINGS "(capitals are mine )

Edited by racers and royals

Jon Cook Speedway Star November 23rd and I quote

" These riders will be having their rides against their fellow reserves on two occasions and be taking their other rides AGAINST SECOND STRINGS "(capitals are mine )

Aha,

Excellent, good work.

That seems to make it quite clear, although Cook is somewhat confused as in the same magazine he has stated....

"Those riders need to be protected and we need to put riders of the same ilk against riders of the same ilk"

and

"It's a great thing and those riders will learn so much more chasing a better rider than they will chasing someone who is not of that ilk"

Needs to sort his ilk's out I think as he is getting a tad confused.

Edited by BWitcher