British Speedway Forum
Grand Central

Bbc Sports Personality Of The Year

Edited.. The links just seem to take you to the same page.

However, if you search for Sky Sports 3 and 4 and click on the relevant weeks, you will find the figures there.

Sky Sports 3 w/e 29 Sep 2013

000's 1 WWE LATE NIGHT RAW - LIVE (MON 2500) 165 2 ELCHE V REAL MADRID - LIVE (WED 2055) 62 3 LIVE EUROPEAN TOUR GOLF (SAT 1330) 58 4 REVISTA DE LA LIGA SPECIAL - LIVE/#BARCE (TUE 1800 46 5 THE RUGBY CHAMPIONSHIP-ARG V NZ (SUN 1502) 38 6 LIVE AMERICAS CUP SAILING (TUE 2100) 30 7 LIVE AMERICAS CUP SAILING (MON 2100) 28 8 WWE RAW/#WWE RAW EP 1060 (MON 1702) 27 9 THINKING TACKLE (THU 1900) 26 10 WWE RAW (FRI 1630) 25

w/e 22 Sep 2013

000's 1 MARSEILLE V ARSENAL - LIVE/#MARSEILLE V (WED 1930) 413 2 GALATASARAY V REAL MADRID - LIVE/#GALATA (TUE 1930 104 3 EUROPEAN SENIORS TOUR GOLF (WED 2200) 43 4 LIVE WORLD CUP OF POOL/#WORLD CUP OF POO (SUN 1800 42 5 LIVE PGA TOUR GOLF/#BMW CHAMPIONSHIP D5 (MON 1500) 42 6 UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE HIGHLIGHTS/#UEFA C (FRI 1544 33 7 LIVE WORLD CUP OF POOL/#WORLD CUP OF POO (SAT 1801 32 8 THINKING TACKLE (THU 1859) 32 9 WHATS THE STORY?/#AMERICAS CUP 2013 - TE (SUN 2100 27 10 LIVE AMERICAS CUP SAILING (THU 2100) 27

w/e 15 Sep 2013

000's 1 ROSS COUNTY V DUNDEE UNITED-LIVE/#ROSS C (SUN 1230 53 2 AS RUN INSERT/##2 2011 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE (SAT 1025) 47 3 LIVE PGA TOUR GOLF (SAT 1800) 45 4 THINKING TACKLE (THU 1900) 38 5 BRITISH PAR 3 GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP (WED 1900) 35 6 LIVE AMERICAS CUP SAILING (SUN 2100) 28 7 WWE BOTTOM LINE/#WWE BOTTOM LINE # 591 (SAT 1030) 25 8 SUPER LEAGUE FULLTIME (MON 1800) 22 9 WWE SMACKDOWN (SAT 0830) 22 10 LIVE CURRIE CUP RUGBY UNION (FRI 1800) 20

w/e 15 Sep 2013

000's 1 WWE LATE NIGHT RAW - LIVE (MON 2500) 169 2 NEW ZEALAND V SOUTH AFRICA - LIVE/#RUGBY (SAT 0800 140 3 LIVE SUPER LEAGUE PLAY-OFF (SAT 1430) 125 4 LIVE SUPER LEAGUE PLAY-OFF (SAT 1701) 116 5 LIVE PGA TOUR GOLF (FRI 2000) 74 6 ELITE LEAGUE SPEEDWAY (MON 1930) 72 7 LIVE PGA TOUR GOLF (THU 2000) 63 8 LIVE PGA TOUR GOLF (SUN 1741) 45 9 LIVE LADIES EUROPEAN TOUR GOLF/#EVIAN MA (SUN 1008 44 10 AUSTRALIA V ARGENTINA - LIVE/#RUGBY CHAM (SAT 1054 39
That pretty much ends the debate about how interested the public really were about Ainslies 2013 achievement. Of course he will still get votes, but those will be based upon his name.

Just what does all that goobledy-gook mean?

Update on World Squash Championship. The winner was Nick Matthew. Nick Clegg even wrote a letter to the BBC in support of him getting a nomination.

So he was probably above Tai in the reckoning.

http://www.psaworldtour.com/news/20131120/nick-clegg-backs-nick-matthew-for-bbc-award_2281852_3543909

I didn't say the figures would be higher or lower. Just that you're not comparing like-for-like events. I'm neutral me!

Remember when Tai won and featured on BBC breakfast? The following week they featured a Brit who won the World Squash Championship. He hasn't been nominated either.

Anyone know his name? This British winner of the World Squash Championship? I don't. I'm sure in the world of squash there are plenty of people going into swearing fits on Facebook about how HE should have been nominated too.

I'm sure there's plenty of others out there.

The Ben Ainslie nomination is maybe a bit tenuous, but even if he hadn't been nominated the next in line wouldn't have been Tai Woffinden.

Tenuous - Criminal more like. He got this nomination on his Olympic Medals. The Olympics was LAST year - this is 2013. :mad: :mad:

How can you get a nomination for being an 'Advisor' in the America's Cup. He didn't join the Team until it was half over. :mad: :mad:

Tai probably didn't deserve to win the Title - but - he was a damn sight more worthy than Ainslie. :mad:

I'm not happy.............................................

Update on World Squash Championship. The winner was Nick Matthew. Nick Clegg even wrote a letter to the BBC in support of him getting a nomination.

So he was probably above Tai in the reckoning.

http://www.psaworldtour.com/news/20131120/nick-clegg-backs-nick-matthew-for-bbc-award_2281852_3543909

To be fair but, it could be seen to promote the achievements of a constituent, as Nick is based in Sheffield(Cleggs constituency).

Edited by Tsunami

Folk know who Ben Ainslie is because its rammed down their throats, they can't escape it. It doesn't mean folk have any great love for sailing.

I don't have any great love for tennis either, but I accept a lot of people watch it and the main protagonists are celebrities as a result. Is sailing really a mainstream sport - probably not, but I suspect that a surprising number of people have some interest in it, and it's something that Britain is also quite successful at. Yes, the Americas Cup is just a billionaires' orgy and it's a joke that Ben Ainslie is nominated on the fact of being a technical advisor, but I suspect there are some wildcards amongst the nominees to lead the viewers to the 'correct' choice.

At least Britain has some tradition of sailing, unlike cycling. This was a sport with hardly any pedigree or coverage in the UK, and yet two 'British' Tour de France winners later and there are suddenly hordes of lycra-clad individuals on racing bikes causing traffic jams on the country's highways. :rolleyes:

Phil Taylor has been once again utterly dominant in the world of Darts

Yes, but it's tenuous whether darts is really a true sport. Undoubtedly a game of skill, but so are Aunt Sally and Bar Billiards and few would suggest the respective World Champions in those sports should be nominated for SPOTY. ;)

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Can see places in that list but no figures ..have you got eurosport ones and the worldwide as well ..many thanks

Tai would have been nominated on Eurosport . :wink:

• Like 4

I don't have any great love for tennis either, but I accept a lot of people watch it and the main protagonists are celebrities as a result. Is sailing really a mainstream sport - probably not, but I suspect that a surprising number of people have some interest in it, and it's something that Britain is also quite successful at. Yes, the Americas Cup is just a billionaires' orgy and it's a joke that Ben Ainslie is nominated on the fact of being a technical advisor, but I suspect there are some wildcards amongst the nominees to lead the viewers to the 'correct' choice.

At least Britain has some tradition of sailing, unlike cycling. This was a sport with hardly any pedigree or coverage in the UK, and yet two 'British' Tour de France winners later and there are suddenly hordes of lycra-clad individuals causing traffic jams on the country's highways. :rolleyes:

Completely and utterly wrong.

At least Britain has some tradition of sailing, unlike cycling. This was a sport with hardly any pedigree or coverage in the UK, and yet two 'British' Tour de France winners later and there are suddenly hordes of lycra-clad individuals on racing bikes causing traffic jams on the country's highways. :rolleyes:

Yes, but it's tenuous whether darts is really a true sport. Undoubtedly a game of skill, but so are Aunt Sally and Bar Billiards and few would suggest the respective World Champions in those sports should be nominated for SPOTY. ;)

Ironically sponsored and covered by SKY on their sports channels, but gaining media coverage on BBC TV through SPOTY.

To be honest the BBC would probably avoid having nominees from sports like Squash and Speedway as they are the type of sports that might encourage orchestrated voting campaigns and the nominees might end up winning.

Then you'd have a SPOTY winner that hardly anybody has heard of!

Actually, we're not comparing like-for-like here. If we're taking viewing figures from when the America's Cup was won then it needs to be compared with the GP viewing figure when Tai won it.

Quite ..unless you got those figures is means nowt ...lets not forget that the Gp's viewing figures were so poor it were dropped by Sky sports

At least this thread has woken up the BSPA.

http://www.speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.23315

Alex Harkess slams the BBC for snubbing Tai. The BSPA are going to ask the BBC for an explanation as to why he was overlooked.

Good for them, the BBC is accountable to all licence payers, not just silly toffs sports. We deserve an explanation.

Might be something for our all-party Speedway parliamentary committee to debate too.

• Like 2

Just what does all that goobledy-gook mean?

It is the viewing figures for the Sky Sports channel on the week highlighted.

In the case of the Americas Cup for example.. it shows :- 6 LIVE AMERICAS CUP SAILING (SUN 2100) 28

The '6' refers to it being the 6th highest watched programme on the channel that week... then the name of the show and the time it was on.. then the '28' is the viewing figure in 000's.. so 28,000.

Elite League Speedway in the same week was 72.. 72,000.

Quite ..unless you got those figures is means nowt ...lets not forget that the Gp's viewing figures were so poor it were dropped by Sky sports

The GP was consistently above 100,000 so 4-5 times more than the heavily hyped, oh so popular event that Ainslie gave some advice in.

The figures had dropped off, not helped by red button usage and some other factors.

Average viewers in 2012, the worst year were still 67,454...

Edited by BWitcher

I very much doubt if any of the panel who pick the top 10 have ever heard of speedway.

• Like 3

I very much doubt if any of the panel who pick the top 10 have ever heard of speedway.

And this is the panel.

(Four representatives of the BBC: Barbara Slater (director of BBC Sport). Philip Bernie (head of TV sport).

Carl Doran (executive editor of Sports Personality of the Year). Mark Pougatch (from BBC Radio 5 live ).

Three sports editors from 1)The Mail on Sunday, 2)The Mirror and 3)The Telegraph.

Three former nominees: Baroness Tanni-Grey Thompson, Dame Kelly Holmes & Marcus Trescothick.

Liz Nicholl OBE, chief executive of UK Sport.

Sue Barker MBE.

All totally impartial of course, but sadly none a speedway supporter, it would appear.

And that post sums it all up perfectly, whether you like it or not..