British Speedway Forum
kingbee

Sky Sports New Deal

Skys speedway deal ran out yesterday,Im hoping for an announcement on a new deal quite soon.

Fingers crossed we get to see league racing on TV - it would be nice if that included premier lg too as i have enjoyed coverage the last couple of yrs. If it is sky i hope the layout of it is different - yes keep it modern to attract fans but if they show highlights do them properly. Maybe show a form guide of last six matches or recent scores of riders. I think it just needs freshening up. During the early yrs of sky, some clubs reduced admission to fill the stadium in front of the cameras. I know its painting over the cracks but it comes across much better live on tv with a decent crowd.

• Like 1

Live TV and Radio kill off attendances. With so many fans all over the country being elderly, it's a comfortable option to watch at home.

Messing around with the race nights to suit TV schedules messes people about too.

Birmingham's crowds increased after Radio WM were stopped from broadcasting. More important that crowds come in through the gates not stay at home. It's bigger crowds in stadiums that attract sponsors too.

Maybe instead of live speedway, someone could do a roundup show at the weekend or something?

• Like 1

Maybe the continuing SkySports logos on the BSPA and GoSpeed web sites and the continuing use of the SkySports branded video - http://www.speedwaygb.co/whatisspeedway.html - tell there own story

Bloody hell. Terry has taken over SKY.

The Sky sports Speedway review show will start to be produced on Monday as yet it has no screening slot.

The delay this year is due to the uncertainty of a future deal back in November/ early December when it is normally done as would not have been able to show it after 31st December if no agreement was reached as would no longer be rights holders.

When talks did take place it was then too late to put it together in time for its usual New years eve slot .as the Speedway production team also do the coverage of the Darts on Sky with the world championship taking place for 22 nights during Dec they have all been tied up with that. There has also been the task of trying to tie Nigel Pearson down to do some commentary and foreword with all his other work scheduled in. Charlie is also busy with her personal challenge tasks and variety of other work. Another issue has been rider/Manager interviews with various people going on holiday. I may be wrong on the next bit as not had this confirmed but my understanding the delay in announcing the new tv rights deal is down to the BSPA trying to agree league sponsorship deal so that the sponsor can be included in press releases to gain maximum exposure e.g 2014 Wonga.com Elite league or Cash converters Premier league

Edited by flagrag

The Sky sports Speedway review show will start to be produced on Monday as yet it has no screening slot....my understanding the delay in announcing the new tv rights deal is down to the BSPA trying to agree league sponsorship deal so that the sponsor can be included in press releases to gain maximum exposure e.g 2014 Wonga.com Elite league or Cash converters Premier league

So it sounds like there is still no sponsorship deal in place for the league(s) and a cut-off date has been passed whereby Sky can wait no more.

Good luck with putting the show together which sounds like it's going to be as easy as herding a hundred cats.

The review show does not need the league sponsors to be agreed to to go ahead as in 2013 it was the Sky sports elite league.

The tv rights deal announcement my understanding does need to have the sponsor in place but there is plenty of time to announce this. It may be that the bspa agree to announce the new tv deal without the sponsor it would just mean the new sponsor misses out on free prime time exposure and also they will likely buy some ad time on Sky sports news

Edited by flagrag
  • Like 1

The League Sponsorship issue (for all 3 leagues) was exactly what TR stated was the BSPA priority in the Speedway Star about 3 weeks ago.

As far as any announcement about TV coverage is concerned, surely its down to the BSPA to confirm/announce that - as and when its right to do so - as its hardly going to be a high priority for whichever TV company has the rights, until they actually have something to include in their TV schedules!!

Its all a bit pie in the Sky really!!!!!! :D

Edited by Skidder1

So it sounds like there is still no sponsorship deal in place for the league(s) and a cut-off date has been passed whereby Sky can wait no more.

Good luck with putting the show together which sounds like it's going to be as easy as herding a hundred cats.

Or with a positive slant perhaps production can start now a sponsor has been found!

The League Sponsorship issue (for all 3 leagues) was exactly what TR stated was the BSPA priority in the Speedway Star about 3 weeks ago.

As far as any announcement about TV coverage is concerned, surely its down to the BSPA to confirm/announce that - as and when its right to do so - as its hardly going to be a high priority for whichever TV company has the rights, until they actually have something to include in their TV schedules!!

Its all a bit pie in the Sky really!!!!!! :D

I thought finding a League sponsor was mentioned years ago by Go Speed, but apart from Sky nothing happened.

Maybe if Sky are getting the Speedway for just the cost of production and transmission Go Speed will have to find a sponsor otherwise TR may not be able to replace his car for this years model.

• Like 1

. I may be wrong on the next bit as not had this confirmed but my understanding the delay in announcing the new tv rights deal is down to the BSPA trying to agree league sponsorship deal so that the sponsor can be included in press releases to gain maximum exposure e.g 2014 Wonga.com Elite league or Cash converters Premier league

Hopefully you just plucked those names out of the air as surely speedway is looking a bit higher than a corrupt bunch of money lenders and a pawn shop :)

• Like 1

Skys speedway deal ran out yesterday,Im hoping for an announcement on a new deal quite soon.

Not according to Nigel Pearson,he said it finished on 31st October.

Hopefully you just plucked those names out of the air as surely speedway is looking a bit higher than a corrupt bunch of money lenders and a pawn shop :)

Why not use them??? Both pay good money and a Premier League football team has Wonga as a main sponsor so clearly they do pay big.

I'm not keen on money lender's but these are the best possible sponsor's to get along with a bookies.

Watch what you wish for.

Based on the amount of negativity posted on BSF about speedway and how it's not as good as it used to be.....

...Beggars can't be choosers.

• Like 1