British Speedway Forum
kingbee

Sky Sports New Deal

Hopefully now everybody can see and understand why there has been the delay in officially announcing the deal. Any announcements about rights and new services have to be announced to the stock market first before anybody else, I believe there is a law about this hence why Speedway star could not be given the green light to publish an article in today's excellent magazine. But it is all confirmed now and have also heard that a deal has been done again with BSI and an agreement with Eurosport to feature action from GPs during the British Speedway coverage.

Just as a side note what would people's views on being given 5-1 cards upon entry like used at darts and 20-20 cricket ?

Please no! Speedway is looked on as naff enough as it is!

• Like 1

Hopefully now everybody can see and understand why there has been the delay in officially announcing the deal. Any announcements about rights and new services have to be announced to the stock market first before anybody else, I believe there is a law about this hence why Speedway star could not be given the green light to publish an article in today's excellent magazine. But it is all confirmed now and have also heard that a deal has been done again with BSI and an agreement with Eurosport to feature action from GPs during the British Speedway coverage.

Just as a side note what would people's views on being given 5-1 cards upon entry like used at darts and 20-20 cricket ?

These aren't new - some clubs have been using these for ages - 5-1 with 4-2 on the reverse and often a sponsor's logo as well!! Of course you do have to have enough of a crowd to make it worthwhile! :D

NB. I note you don't mention anything about the new streaming deal by the company part-owned by BSkyB? Any comments....?

Edited by Skidder1

those cards "may" work at wolves where crowd foced together, but most tracks it certainly wouldn't work, and when 5.1s are

won in a strung out race, it also has a different effect in celebrations

Firstly it won't be a 'tv programme' it will probably be just one camera, showing races, won't be any interviews on anything like that purely races so you can bet on them and see what happens. Also it won't be great quality, just a small window in the corner of the betting website

No interviews ... just purely races.

It's getting to sound better and better.

• Like 1

Please no! Speedway is looked on as naff enough as it is!

Quite right, it's 8-1 cards we need...

• Like 1

those cards "may" work at wolves where crowd foced together, but most tracks it certainly wouldn't work, and when 5.1s are

won in a strung out race, it also has a different effect in celebrations

Not at Wolves, they would only get used a couple of times a month :D

• Like 2

TERRY Russell and Go Speed represent the BSPA in their negotiations with Sky so obviously not cut out of the loop. Not sure where you (The Pedaler) came up with 40% commission.

The arrangement between Go Speed and the BSPA is freely entered into so whatever rights TR has he is entitled to under the terms of his contract which quite rightly is not something either party will want to divulge to the public at large. Why should they?

With regards to your last paragraph (Pedaler again) regarding amongst other things Speedway Star regurgitating press releases... you obviously don't even read Speedway Star so I won't waste my mind commenting on your latest diatribe.

I am very proud of Speedway Star, never more so than this week. The feature on Tai Woffinden is journalism of the highest class and in my humble opinion could not be bettered in any publication.

You say that neither party will want to divulge details of the contract but as a regular customer of the BSPA like many others i would be interested to see a ball park figure even if this is a percentage of the deal.This i think would be the right thing to do. Do the BSPA publish not have to accounts or are they not a Company as such? I honestly have no idea. In my former job as a Local Government Officer my wage was available for all and sundry to view and i have no problem with that. So it's not unusual especially within the sporting industry.

As far as the Speedway Star is concerned you have one thing in this weeks edition to be very proud of and that is the Garry Stead article. Great work and a reminder of what could happen to all the riders who risk their lives for our entertainment. His position is very sad and we really do need reminders about the plight of these riders.

I think you will find that in my Post where I defended Philip Rising I stated that I bought the 'Speedway Star' now and again - but - I have also argued about the 'Star's journalistic integrity in the past. I have been consistent about that Dave.

I do NOT rub my hands with glee - but I will say this - if the Magazine was just a little bit more hard hitting and investigative - I might even take out a Subscription. I actually think Speedway Star is a good Magazine - I just think it could be BETTER - what is so wrong with that?

The thing about the 'Speedway Star' is it has never really been that kind of Mag. Perhaps that was more the 'Speedway Mail's' agenda? (I don't know as I am too young to remember!).

Whether the 'Star' should change tack, is a different argument altogether. It might put people off buying it (not saying it would or wouldn't) as people might only want the reporting of meetings and scores/scorers with the usual interviews/articles type mag., as it is now. :unsure:

Skidder 1 - To be honest with you I didn't even know that the betting streaming deal had been agreed upon as ATR are kind of seperate to Sky sports. I had heard that it was being considered and as a Speedway fan as well as being involved technical side of the tv broadcast I got asked how feasible I thought it would be from the knowledge I had of tracks and their infrastructure. I have to admit I do think they will have quite a few obstacles to overcome to stream these meetings I presume they will use some of the track DVD companies to film it but my biggest worry is how they propose to uplink the pictures to their servers. At some tracks this will be easy as the stadium has leased lines or good quality broadband but some others will be a real struggle like Leicester and Eastbourne even KL special broadband lines have to be installed for World Cup just to get basic access Internet to send emails. As I say this is not really my thing I just hope that they are not planning on using the Live U system which Sky trialled last season it works over 4G and 3G HSPA at a push, it's not too bad for static interviews but we found live action a no go as turned it a blurry mess with often lags which will be useless for betting. That system is also very dependent on mobile coverage but also network traffic especially in areas where they are near big built up areas or if track has big crowds like Poole,Birmingham or Belle Vue although all these have good broadband links. It used to work really well at Wolves as EE have a mast right behind the pits. If it works ok good luck with it and I'm sure will be well used although I expect you will have to use a min of bets to get access to the streams

• Like 2

Not at Wolves, they would only get used a couple of times a month Season. :D

I hope you don't mind Aleksandr. EDITED: For accuracy. :o;)

The thing about the 'Speedway Star' is it has never really been that kind of Mag. Perhaps that was more the 'Speedway Mail's' agenda? (I don't know as I am too young to remember!).

Whether the 'Star' should change tack, is a different argument altogether. It might put people off buying it (not saying it would or wouldn't) as people might only want the reporting of meetings and scores/scorers with the usual interviews/articles type mag., as it is now. :unsure:

Lucky fella!!! :t::) :) B)

Do you not think they could do things better Dave? The BSPA that is.

To me they do seem to get an awful lot wrong.

At times yes, but i can't ever seeing you applaud it when it does happen. You seem to get outraged at everything these days.

Chill, life is too short.

At times yes, but i can't ever seeing you applaud it when it does happen. You seem to get outraged at everything these days.

Chill, life is too short.

No - not outraged. :nono:

Saddened. :sad: :sad:

A few comments from around the web.

f1broadcasting wordpress
Sky Sports have renewed their Elite League Speedway contract for five years, alongside five other contracts. This is important for speedway to thrive in the country as there was the possibility that Sky could have decided to dispose of this contract, as they did with the Speedway Grand Prix championship before last season. Viewing figures tend to be around 100,000 to 200,000, nothing spectacular but enough for Sky to keep it. There is also the BT factor in all of these contracts, Sky wanted to get these wrapped up early to prevent BT Sport snapping any up.
sportspromedia.com
Sport Mediastream agrees British Speedway deal. The new in-house streaming division of At The Races, Sport Mediastream, has agreed a deal to become the exclusive worldwide production and distribution partner of British Speedway.
The deal has been signed with Go Speed International, the company which owns British Speedway's media rights. The agreement, however, does not include the 25 fixtures covered annually by Sky Sports in the UK from the Elite and Premier League Speedway championships. Earlier on Tuesday, Sky signed a new five-year contract to broadcast the Elite League.
Sport Mediastream launched in July 2013 and has been developed specifically to cater for the betting industry. It is owned by At The Races, Britain's most popular dedicated racing channel.
Terry Russell, chief Executive of Go Speed International, said: "At The Races has demonstrated it has a robust streaming platform able to deliver a high quality service. "Combined with its existing integrations and specific expertise in the betting industry, we believe they are the ideal partner to help us develop a global streaming and betting proposition for British Speedway."
dailymail
But signing speedway’s Elite League for five more years looks to be a spoiler aimed at BT, with even the sport’s authorities convinced Sky had lost interest in their marginalised product.
Edited by manchesterpaul

Listening to radio 5, early this morning, they said something about BT being set to announce the sports they will cover, and speedway was mentioned. That's all they said.