British Speedway Forum
kingbee

Sky Sports New Deal

Anyway I won't argue the point, I'm too sickened off with all the negative attitudes on here.

I don't know what you actually expect after decades of these people running our sport so far into the ground it's nearly in the Permian Era.

Of course we hope for something good from this new deal but we know who will get the money and are not confident they will do anything but what they always do. Squander it.

We fans are obviously hoping that they have learnt a lesson from the last 15 years when a goldmine was p#ssed away on rubbish that was flown in and out and that regardless of the reasons for it the investment in young Brit riders will help as long as the promoters work together and do it right for the sport rather than thier selfish gain.

But we have seen one team already dissapear because of the attitude of these people. We know this because the bloke who just bailed out said so.

So to start with we have no idea of how many teams will line up in March never mind the format for the top league.

They have got to learn and work together.

Invest in a decent racing surface, work with SKY to bring the TV audience a well matched meeting between 2 teams that can ride the track.

The result, daft as it sounds, comes secondary to trying to bring new interest to the sport by showcasing it on TV.

Other sports can afford rubbish matches on TV as they have a following and money from sponsors and investors.

Speedway has nothing really except a bloody good sport when it is allowed to be done right.

Promotion, track, investment in home talent, try to build up some kind of atmosphere so it looks like a sport when it's on TV rather than a funeral.

Lots can be done with little outlay if the will is there to make speedway look like a good night out.

The fans need to play a part and the promotions should work with supporters clubs and fans on social media to get the best out of a TV showcase.

Fans need to make some noise and promoters need to give fans something to make some noise about.

But will it happen? #### knows :(

Edited by pandorum
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, when a football club invests in a kid in the Premiership (top league in England) they norture them all the way, from junior, to senior so get something back from the investment....

If a NL and/or Premier League try similar, as soon as they become of age or decent enough they leave with no real recompense for the training club.....

Thats why the lower leagues like "Pot Riders" just add track, why make it from scratch when you can by a "speedway dinner"

I don't know what you actually expect after decades of these people running our sport so far into the ground it's nearly in the Permian Era.

If these people weren't supposedly running the sport into the ground it would already be dead. You might not like the way they do it but if they didn't put up the money to buy and run the clubs it would all be long gone!

• Like 8

Unfortunately, when a football club invests in a kid in the Premiership (top league in England) they norture them all the way, from junior, to senior so get something back from the investment....

If a NL and/or Premier League try similar, as soon as they become of age or decent enough they leave with no real recompense for the training club.....

Thats why the lower leagues like "Pot Riders" just add track, why make it from scratch when you can by a "speedway dinner"

You and your 'friend' gustix are both wrong. An NL team gets a sum for early training of a rider, and a PL team, would get either a loan fee or a transfer fee, the same as in the football PL.

• Like 3

Follow up note......

This is why I think the EL drafting for the reserve places will work..

Under the old system, or lack of, If the riders at 6 & 7 were to have a couple or three poor meetings, the promoter would sack the lad and bring in one of those old and probably race-rusty foreigner's on a falsely low averages, and suddenly you have a "ringer reserve" capable of taking 7 rides and scoring double figures for a month or more before new averages kick in, the poor sacked reserve then joins the "Junior Ferris Wheel" of mainly yoimg British riders that will get off at the next club, to do another couple of meetings before being dumped back onto that bloody ferris wheel again!!

At least now, they wont be at the mercy of the Premier League Promoters looking for the "Ringer Reserve" Because of the draft season ahead, the Elite League teams will have to invest at least time for their drafted reserves, and rubbing shoulders with the likes of Ward, Woffy, Ivefsen etc can only be a good thing. If only half get their speedway careers boosted to a level of skill in riding and handling riding at the top level of speedway in the UK it will in my opinion be worhwile, the riders that don't work out will choose not to be considered for the 2015 season draft and will drop back to the level they feel comfortable with, and one or two may be lost to the sport, which may of happened anyway... in my opinion. .

• Like 3

You and your 'friend' gustix are both wrong. An NL team gets a sum for early training of a rider, and a PL team, would get either a loan fee or a transfer fee, the same as in the football PL.

Thanks for passing on this info - just goes to show it is easy to be critical of the BSPA/the system when not in possession of all the facts. :t:

• Like 3

If these people weren't supposedly running the sport into the ground it would already be dead. You might not like the way they do it but if they didn't put up the money to buy and run the clubs it would all be long gone!

Fair enough then. Glad you can confirm everything is alright.

Dunno what we have to moan about with the sport in such good hands.

Thankfully there are people like you to put us all right when we commit such errors.

Speedway will go on from strength to strength as it has done for decade after decade and all us moaning nitwits will be firmly put in our places. :)

For crying out loud, don't threat who leaked the details... the good news is, SKY have given us another shot at stardom.

Let's repay them by whipping the sport back into something like the shape we are proud of. The only negative is that Stay-At-Homes (like me) won't be persuaded to leave their four walls if there are matches every week, but that's fine for the likes of me.

I a believe that track shoudl begin allowing any youngster under a certain age in for free, as long as they are linked with an adult.

I mean, we go on about advertising, but how many of us actually found out about speedway through advertising? How many were taken along by someone else who attended regularly? I know I am in the latter group. I also introduced my younger brother, the both of us would never have known about speedway (despite its high-profile back then) and have followed the sport 30-odd years.

Just glad SKY remain on board for now.

Fair enough then. Glad you can confirm everything is alright.

Dunno what we have to moan about with the sport in such good hands.

Thankfully there are people like you to put us all right when we commit such errors.

Speedway will go on from strength to strength as it has done for decade after decade and all us moaning nitwits will be firmly put in our places. :)

Point out where I said everything is alright and you would have a logical argument!

You can moan all you like but the hands the sport is in at the moment are pretty much the only people who are interested in putting their money into the sport. Unless you are in the position to invest in Peterborough or Sheffield and change the way the sport is run from the inside then moaning on a forum and not having any effect is as good as it's going to get.

• Like 4

Of course we hope for something good from this new deal but we know who will get the money and are not confident they will do anything but what they always do. Squander it.

We fans are obviously hoping that they have learnt a lesson from the last 15 years when a goldmine was p#ssed away on rubbish that was flown in and out and that regardless of the reasons for it the investment in young Brit riders will help as long as the promoters work together and do it right for the sport rather than thier selfish gain.

But we have seen one team already dissapear because of the attitude of these people. We know this because the bloke who just bailed out said so.

So to start with we have no idea of how many teams will line up in March never mind the format for the top league.

They have got to learn and work together.

Invest in a decent racing surface, work with SKY to bring the TV audience a well matched meeting between 2 teams that can ride the track.

The result, daft as it sounds, comes secondary to trying to bring new interest to the sport by showcasing it on TV.

Other sports can afford rubbish matches on TV as they have a following and money from sponsors and investors.

Speedway has nothing really except a bloody good sport when it is allowed to be done right.

Promotion, track, investment in home talent, try to build up some kind of atmosphere so it looks like a sport when it's on TV rather than a funeral.

Lots can be done with little outlay if the will is there to make speedway look like a good night out.

The fans need to play a part and the promotions should work with supporters clubs and fans on social media to get the best out of a TV showcase.

Fans need to make some noise and promoters need to give fans something to make some noise about.

But will it happen? #### knows :(

Usually is/has been done right when Premier League Meetings have been shown. :approve: :approve:

• Like 1

Point out where I said everything is alright and you would have a logical argument!

You can moan all you like but the hands the sport is in at the moment are pretty much the only people who are interested in putting their money into the sport. Unless you are in the position to invest in Peterborough or Sheffield and change the way the sport is run from the inside then moaning on a forum and not having any effect is as good as it's going to get.

Therein lies the issue Vince to an extent.

Folk won't invest in the sport, because it's a closed shop. If anyone tries to strive for change they are quickly alienated and eventually driven out.

• Like 1

I do not have, or clicked in anyone to be friends, I don't know "gustix" from "screamer" from anyone else! My posts are my own thoughts, and my own opinions and that is it. I don't write inflammatory posts and don't knock other posters..... only posts, why do you assume I am a friend of gustix?

(No offence meant to gustix)

Thanks for passing on this info - just goes to show it is easy to be critical of the BSPA/the system when not in possession of all the facts. :t:

Should have reworded this, I really meant they dont get to keep the rider they have trained.. not so much a financial reward.....

... I believe that tracks should begin allowing any youngster under a certain age in for free, as long as they are linked with an adult.

I mean, we go on about advertising, but how many of us actually found out about speedway through advertising? How many were taken along by someone else who attended regularly? I know I am in the latter group. I also introduced my younger brother, the both of us would never have known about speedway (despite its high-profile back then) and have followed the sport 30-odd years.

Just glad SKY remain on board for now.

That is one of the most important steps that the UK tracks must take to survive long-term.

This scheme has worked wonders here in Germany. About 20 years ago the situation was quite similar as it is now in the UK, with no young people coming along to attend speedway meetings. It was more an dmore the 40+ age group at the speedway meetings. Then some of our tracks allowed kids up to ten or even twelfe years old in for free (some tracks charge them only 1 Euro), and slowly but steadily the situation changed.

My local speedway track is Landshut. There is now a perfect mixture of all age groups among the spectators, and the speedway meetings there regularly attract crowds that are the envy of many tracks in other regions, that did not introduce the youngsters-in-for free scheme years ago. Abensberg is another positive example, and they too are very well attended.

It worked very well for families and or single parents or grand parents can easily take the kids with them to the speedway without much additional costs. They stadiums are fuller, there is more of an atmosphere; kids want to buy merchandise and other stuff, something to eat and drink and they will go there not alone but with family or friends of the same age and have something to talk about the next day in school.

Even if they don't pay too much attention to the racing, and do more play and fooling around in the stadium with their friends, they get to enjoy the occasion, get a positive feel about speedway and know the sport from a very young age, which makes them potential speedway supporters later on in their life. If they never went as kids, it is much harder to convert them to become speedway fans.

I can highly recommend this kids-for-free scheme - it certainly worked here in Germany.

• Like 1

i agree totally, there was a time (not too long ago) when i took three kids to coventry, now they are all over 16, they dont go.

the best part of £70 and then drink, id get no change from £100.

need at the very least a family ticket.

yes i can afford it but i choose not to because the product isnt worth that at the moment

That's an excellent insight 'Bavarian' i was aware of several meetings having mention of free admission for youngsters but didn't realize it was an actual widespread policy. Great to hear it has had the desired effect. Whilst promotions in the UK may see not charging as repellent there is the bonus of possible side purchases of merchandise and catering income (where the club receives it). Also paying adults attending because they can bring the kids in for free and would otherwise not have come to the meeting.

Edited by manchesterpaul