British Speedway Forum
mikebaker

Cory Gathercole.

To be honest I think most teams would welcome Gathercole. The thing about speedway is that every rider has a part to play and you don't need to be a star.

The important thing is that you are not asked to play a part above your capabilities. If he was signed as a no. 1 he would probably fall short, if he was a no. 3, 4 or 5 he would be excellent. He's also entertaining. The only downside is he tends to get injured through trying too hard.

I can't understand anyone rubbishing him in the way we've seen.

• Like 4

Always has and always will be a 6-7 point man that wont amount to anything in the sport. Should be giving spaces to young british riders instead. Id rather a rider who scored big points or at least had the potential to do so than a nice bloke

• Like 1

Always has and always will be a 6-7 point man that wont amount to anything in the sport. Should be giving spaces to young british riders instead.

Of which there aren't nearly enough, the vast majority aren't good enough and those that are won't travel beyond their own doorstep. The Australians on the other hand supplement the PL because there aren't enough British riders and generally have no ties to a geographical area, meaning they will travel where they can get a team place.

• Like 1

Always has and always will be a 6-7 point man that wont amount to anything in the sport. Should be giving spaces to young british riders instead. Id rather a rider who scored big points or at least had the potential to do so than a nice bloke

The points limit won't let you have a team of big points scorers.

It does however let you have a team of 6 pointers.

And as for "won't amount to anything in the sport", a 6-7 point PL average already puts him well inside the top 50% in the UK.

I would be happy to have him in my team.

• Like 2

I would welcome Gathercole with open are back at Devils next year

Would that be 'arms' or 'ar$e'? :shock::nono::rofl: :rofl:

Genuine question. :rofl:

Many riders English or not would be delighted to be seen as a 6-7 point man as they are essential to any team and that average is a clear indicator that they have amounted to something in the sport.

• Like 2

Definitely wouldn't want Crashercole at Sheffield. Dirty rider and doubt there'll be much improvement in him.

Think most if not all rider's do shower after the meeting :D .

• Like 2

When injuries hit teams he will become available I'm sure

Best way to name your own price!

Always a good honest rider

Great entertainer at Somerset, but never quite made the next step up. What about the Cooorreeyyy Gattthhhercole moments of a few years back on the Somerset videos, great fun.

Edited by Cliffeboy

Tough as teak is Cory. I remember him hitting the third bend fence back/neck first a couple of years ago, whilst trying to blast around the outside. Horrendous looking crash. Must admit I immediately thought the worst, but he was up and back in the pits preparing for his next race....which he duly won.

Agree with others in that Gathercole puts absolutely everything into his speedway. I had high hopes he would develop into an EL heat leader whilst he was under the great Leigh Adams's wing at Swindon, but instead, he seemed to go backwards.

That said, a guaranteed PL six and a half point man. Someone out there will snap him up I'm sure.

I'd heard he was retiring. He was in one of the best races I've ever seen in a battle with Complin & Bunyan. Shame he never made it to the top as he was a great prospect.

Came over to the IOW the year after Chris Holder and with lots of press that he was related to Leigh Adams too, was always going to be a big ask to go on to be as good a rider as those two.

An entertaining rider but he has reached his peak. Regardless of age or nationality if I was a promotor looking to win league title then he'd be far down on my wanted list.