British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Save Isle Of Wight

Ask Jason Crump the day Gollub put him into the air fence in the Swedish GP and he somehow got up and won the final.

Ask Luke Priest when he went under the air-fence at Stoke.

I have moved on. Still waiting to see some independent evidence that shows Air Fences are safer than any other type of fence at every track operating (because imposing them as a requirement says that they are). You really don't have that evidence do you? One size never fits all!

Yes, I have seen it, and I implied that on another thread, But hey ho. I read the document and passed it back to it's keeper.

"not really - its just credit - they'd have to pay it back"

Credit loans were offered by Paul Ackroyd, of the Riders Benevolent Fund, to pay for the new fences, and some teams including Redcar have taken advantage of a low interest loan.

Ask Luke Priest when he went under the air-fence at Stoke.

Are you saying he wouldn't have been hurt with no air fence, or are you aware that comments were made at the time regarding the fixing of the fence.

I feel sorry for the Elephant.

Merrick fencing and trellis suppliers Ltd are going to have to close their Yorkshire depot because of this carry on!!!

Good luck IOW.

• Like 1

It was announced in the spring that the SCB had sent a letter to all British promoters that APDs were to be compulsory at all British meetings from 2014, whether they were FIM meetings or not. To my knowledge, the contents of the letter have not been made public. My guess, and that's all it is, is that it has been done to prevent future litigation.

That argument would hold water if these things had been independently tested and a risk assessment done at every location they are to be installed at. Patently this has not happened. The more likely scenario is that there will be litigation over injuries caused where these fences have been poorly designed or installed.

I feel sorry for the Elephant.

Merrick fencing and trellis suppliers Ltd are going to have to close their Yorkshire depot because of this carry on!!!

Good luck IOW.

I always thought forums were for serious debate. yet many of you want to shut down the discussions on this serious issue. It is clear from a number of posts that injuries have been made worse by poorly installed or failing air fences. Proper research and accreditation may have prevented this. Yet you champions of rider safety don't want to ask why or what can make things better?

I'm more saddened that its the fans who are asked to put there hands in there pockets yet again, and time after time the poor folk on the terraces are asked to dig deep on top of increased admission prices.

Might sound harsh but if a club cannot afford an air fence then bye, and if we end up with no tracks left so be it, its the end of speedway, the paying public are taken for mugs.

The only times fans should be approached is for the SRBF, end of.

• Like 1

Might sound harsh but if a club cannot afford an air fence then bye, and if we end up with no tracks left so be it, its the end of speedway, the paying public are taken for mugs.

You wouldn't say that if it was your club.

• Like 1

I'm more saddened that its the fans who are asked to put there hands in there pockets yet again, and time after time the poor folk on the terraces are asked to dig deep on top of increased admission prices.

You wouldn't say that if it was your club.

He wouldn't say that if he was a real speedway fan, either.

• Like 2

Hmmm, ok I am not a real fan, maybe I am not if the criteria is allowing "clubs" to empty bank accounts of "real fans".

Every year we get the scare mongering in the Speedway Star from various clubs and promotions that "Club X is in danger of not coming back to the tapes next year if we cannot raise X amount of pounds"

I have full respect for a promotion like Buxton, who acknowledged the problems of raising finance for an air fence and put on a great novelty meeting to raise funds.

Trust me, as long as fans are subsidising clubs, nothing is ever going to change.

Hmmm, ok I am not a real fan, maybe I am not if the criteria is allowing "clubs" to empty bank accounts of "real fans".

Every year we get the scare mongering in the Speedway Star from various clubs and promotions that "Club X is in danger of not coming back to the tapes next year if we cannot raise X amount of pounds"

I have full respect for a promotion like Buxton, who acknowledged the problems of raising finance for an air fence and put on a great novelty meeting to raise funds.

Trust me, as long as fans are subsidising clubs, nothing is ever going to change.

Sorry, but I can't see the difference between Buxton, who charged £10 for adults to get in, who chose to do something different, granted, and any other club trying to raise funds for a piece of equipment needed to keep running (and saving possible serious injuries too). It's still the fans paying for it (something you appear to be against).

Buxton offered something in return, remember when air fences were introduced to the EL? Clubs each ran a challenge meeting to pay for the fence, has Chris Holder been approached?

Even Belle Vue offered a "brick" in return for money....

The Wightlink Islanders fans already subsidise their club as it is they who are the shareholders in the somewhat unique operating company rather than an individual putting up the money. Alas though the point has seemingly been reached when a decision has to be taken as to whether the club can continue or not and the signs aren't very good.

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 1

Buxton offered something in return, remember when air fences were introduced to the EL? Clubs each ran a challenge meeting to pay for the fence, has Chris Holder been approached?

Even Belle Vue offered a "brick" in return for money....

Can't comment on other tracks, but Newcastle are doing various things, all to raise funds for the fence and fans get something in return. Ebay items up for auction, raffles and 'fun' nights, to name just three.

The Wightlink Islanders fans already subsidise their club as it is they who are the shareholders in the somewhat unique operating company rather than an individual putting up the money. Alas though the point has seemingly been reached when a decision has to be taken as to whether the club can continue or not and the signs aren't very good.

Thank you for the insight, in that case I apologise as I didn't know the circumstances behind the IOW.

Thank you for the insight, in that case I apologise as I didn't know the circumstances behind the IOW.

Apology duly accepted. Given the list of riders that have begun their UK league careers at Smallbrook and then gone onto higher levels, it will be very sad to see the club cease to operate if that proves to be the final outcome. Mind you my lottery numbers could come up this weekend couldn't they? :P

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 1

Total bollocks, Mr 'Sensible".

• Like 1