British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Save Isle Of Wight

After today's AGM the club withdrew from the league, BUT have until January 31st to rejoin. They need £20k for a new air fence and have so far raised just over £9k, so a lot to do, but speedway community don't let this club fold! It may be the team that I support, but surely losing any side is disastrous, so dig deep please.

http://www.gofundme.com/iow-air-fence

DONATE!!!!!

So the chickens are coming home to roost! Do they really need a new air fence or are they been forced to buy a new air fence?

It is my understanding that there are no more 2nd hand air fences left on the market so they have to buy a new one.

So the chickens are coming home to roost! Do they really need a new air fence or are they been forced to buy a new air fence?

Move on, for your own sake.

It is my understanding that there are no more 2nd hand air fences left on the market so they have to buy a new one.

Don't think that was his point. He has a bee in his bonnet about air fence safety compared to other fences. Everyone has long since stopped humouring him with a reply

Move on, for your own sake.

I have moved on. Still waiting to see some independent evidence that shows Air Fences are safer than any other type of fence at every track operating (because imposing them as a requirement says that they are). You really don't have that evidence do you? One size never fits all!

Don't think that was his point. He has a bee in his bonnet about air fence safety compared to other fences. Everyone has long since stopped humouring him with a reply

I don't need your input Oldace; the only thing I have ever questioned is the lack of evidence to show that Air Fences are safer than other fences in every instance. This is not proven and for some reason a number of posters believe this is something I shouldn't question. Well tough really if I think something is amiss I'm the sort of pain in the b/side who will keep asking. Apologies if that offends.

• Like 2

20k? Haven't Sky just agreed a new deal? Surely that'll cover the 20k easily. The IoW could then "rent" the air fence off the BSPA so after say 10 years the airfence is paid for.

Owing to the fact the IoW have 9k they have paid the rent for 4.5 years already.

Edited by SCB

I have moved on. Still waiting to see some independent evidence that shows Air Fences are safer than any other type of fence at every track operating (because imposing them as a requirement says that they are). You really don't have that evidence do you? One size never fits all!

I don't need your input Oldace; the only thing I have ever questioned is the lack of evidence to show that Air Fences are safer than other fences in every instance. This is not proven and for some reason a number of posters believe this is something I shouldn't question. Well tough really if I think something is amiss I'm the sort of pain in the b/side who will keep asking. Apologies if that offends.

I am sure it has been discussed, but who is insisting on the compulsory use of AF's? Is it the promoters, riders, insurance companies or some health and safety executive? Obviously rider safety is of paramount importance. Just wondering?

20k? Haven't Sky just agreed a new deal? Surely that'll cover the 20k easily. The IoW could then "rent" the air fence off the BSPA so after say 10 years the airfence is paid for.

Owing to the fact the IoW have 9k they have paid the rent for 4.5 years already.

That would be totally unfair on all the other clubs who have paid upfront for their fences IMO.

• Like 1

That would be totally unfair on all the other clubs who have paid upfront for their fences IMO.

not really - its just credit - they'd have to pay it back

those who have already purchasrd avoid that burdon

Life is unfair. Surely an extra club able to ride against them means extra income....

Airfences don't last 10 years.

Don't see why the BSPA can't give them an interest free loan over 2 or 3 years though.

Ask Jason Crump the day Gollub put him into the air fence in the Swedish GP and he somehow got up and won the final.

I am sure it has been discussed, but who is insisting on the compulsory use of AF's? Is it the promoters, riders, insurance companies or some health and safety executive? Obviously rider safety is of paramount importance. Just wondering?

It was announced in the spring that the SCB had sent a letter to all British promoters that APDs were to be compulsory at all British meetings from 2014, whether they were FIM meetings or not. To my knowledge, the contents of the letter have not been made public. My guess, and that's all it is, is that it has been done to prevent future litigation.
  • Like 1