British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Save Isle Of Wight

Total bollocks, Mr 'Sensible".

Knew it wouldn't take long for you to appear with your charm offensive, certainly know how to make the paying public feel welcome.

Bryn came on here and offered an insight into the reasonings behind the IOW predicament and I duly apologised, you come on here and throw insults.

So would I now be more inclined to hand over cash to IOW or Newcastle.....hmmmm.......

• Like 2

Sorry, but I can't see the difference between Buxton, who charged £10 for adults to get in, who chose to do something different, granted, and any other club trying to raise funds for a piece of equipment needed to keep running (and saving possible serious injuries too). It's still the fans paying for it (something you appear to be against).

And there is the rub ; it is only "needed" because it is imposed and it is only saving "possible" serious injury because there is no data available to demonstrate it's superiority to all other type of fences.

Apologies to those on here who prefer to work on opinion rather than facts.

And there is the rub ; it is only "needed" because it is imposed and it is only saving "possible" serious injury because there is no data available to demonstrate it's superiority to all other type of fences.

Apologies to those on here who prefer to work on opinion rather than facts.

So, what data do you want?

The riders I have spoken to want Air/Polyfoam fences at every track.

Sorry, but that is good enough for me.

• Like 2

Knew it wouldn't take long for you to appear with your charm offensive, certainly know how to make the paying public feel welcome.

Bryn came on here and offered an insight into the reasonings behind the IOW predicament and I duly apologised, you come on here and throw insults.

So would I now be more inclined to hand over cash to IOW or Newcastle.....hmmmm.......

Only an idiot, and non supporter, would suggest that if fans had been to asked to help a club survive financially, the club should go to the fold.

Firstly, if they are asked they always have the right to say no.

Secondly, if it is to buy a brick, or purchase a ticket for a prize or money, again it is for them to consider participating in such an event.

There has been some great and novel ways used to raising money this year, and it has galvanised a lot of fans who wanted to help their club. The EL did hold meetings when riders rode for free to buy the first air fences. Unfortunately, the facts of life are that the PL riders only get paid about a quarter of the EL wages so, to help pay for the new air fences for 2014, each team would have needed to run 4 free meetings. Which nobody would have gone to because they really would not have raced to their full ability. So instead inventive people devised events and competitions for people who wanted to participate in. And still 'sensible' people moan.

. Unfortunately, the facts of life are that the PL riders only get paid about a quarter of the EL wages so, to help pay for the new air fences for 2014, each team would have needed to run 4 free meetings.

If that is so (and I don't doubt your figures, I have no idea as to rider wages these days) then with admission costs roughly as per Elite League to a pound or so and gates well in excess of 25% of Elite League gates the Premier League should be doing OK. Either that or the Elite League is in a worse mess than it appears

Yes I'm quite certain that is good enough for a lot of people.

If that is so (and I don't doubt your figures, I have no idea as to rider wages these days) then with admission costs roughly as per Elite League to a pound or so and gates well in excess of 25% of Elite League gates the Premier League should be doing OK. Either that or the Elite League is in a worse mess than it appears

With the EL teams, factor in the £90k bung from SKY and higher fan levels in most case, and there's your answer.

The EL teams have higher expenses and higher income levels.

Edited by Tsunami

Yes, I have seen it, and I implied that on another thread, But hey ho. I read the document and passed it back to it's keeper.

"not really - its just credit - they'd have to pay it back"

Credit loans were offered by Paul Ackroyd, of the Riders Benevolent Fund, to pay for the new fences, and some teams including Redcar have taken advantage of a low interest loan.

Are you saying he wouldn't have been hurt with no air fence, or are you aware that comments were made at the time regarding the fixing of the fence.

The basic flaw with air-fences is that if the bike goes in halfway up & the rider is going into it on the floor they tend to go under it. So you need additional protection behind it.

I want a Ferrari, maybe if I beg via the Speedway Star I'll get one? If the riders want air fences how about they ride for nothing for a few meetings to get them?

I want a Ferrari, maybe if I beg via the Speedway Star I'll get one? If the riders want air fences how about they ride for nothing for a few meetings to get them?

I don't think it's the riders who are demanding air fences but rather that's it's an FIM directive?

Edited by Guest

Understand the points of the Air Fence not being tested and why is it fans who have to stump up the cash!

However im just going to post the link again to actually help the cause and not hider it like people have in the thread!

The rules state that we need air fences, the only way IOW can get one is if people donate not argue!

http://www.gofundme.com/iow-air-fence

• Like 2

After today's AGM the club withdrew from the league, BUT have until January 31st to rejoin. They need £20k for a new air fence and have so far raised just over £9k, so a lot to do, but speedway community don't let this club fold! It may be the team that I support, but surely losing any side is disastrous, so dig deep please.

http://www.gofundme.com/iow-air-fence

DONATE!!!!!

Isle of Wight getting crowds of 120 might have also been the reason the club has withdrawn from the league.Impossible to state a credible business plan on those crowd levels.

Isle of Wight getting crowds of 120 might have also been the reason the club has withdrawn from the league.Impossible to state a credible business plan on those crowd levels.

And that is at the root cause of the problem.

Apparently there are speedway supporters on the Island that will not go and support NL racing which they see as being of a poorer quality to PL racing. Well they should watch some old videos because the NL lads race just as hard with probab;y more passing.

The Club really needs to attract the youngsters in the Island since not many turn up on a Tuesday to watch the great racing but you can't fault Chris Hunt, Kevin Shepherd and a few others that spent their weekends trying to drum up support attending every possible venue that they could, displaying bikes and handing out promotional material. .

• Like 1

I don't think it's the riders who are demanding air fences but rather that's it's an FIM directive?

Only for FIM events; EL, PL & NL are not FIM events.

Only for FIM events; EL, PL & NL are not FIM events.

Sorry, but i've bitten my tongue long enough now.

How many f.ucking threads are you going to hijack with your crap about data and air fences ?

This is a thread for the Isle of Wight who are on the brink, and you're still trying to hijack it - forget your agenda, forget your sad-man-with-too-much-time-on-his-hands attitude - this is an IOW thread. Unless you're transferrring some of your pension to their fund, is it too much to ask that you leave this alone ?

W to the anchor.

• Like 4