British Speedway Forum
NeilWatson

Peterborough Panthers 2014

I'm afraid for Speedway, it's got itself into a vicious circle in many ways... Reducing the points limit year after year, reducing the quality of racing on offer year after year, reducing the amount of shale on tracks year after year, losing paying on the door suppoters year after year, whilst increasing admission year after year, riders wages increasing year after year and you get to where we are now.

Not enough quality riders in our top division, miniscule crowds and still reducing and probably the biggest mistake is allowing the quality of the top league to be levelled off to the lowest denominating club every year, so the clubs that are actually surviving every year, building strong teams every year and are (or seem to be reasonably safe financially) get hammered year after year, reducing the quality of their product to the level of the poorest clubs in the league in the name of trying to stop the poorly run/financially challenged/poor demographics of their local population will eventually implode and Speedway will be no more..

We need the clubs to be aiming higher, and not as it seems lowering their standards to the wring end of the product spectrum.. if it means losing a team or two from the Elife League (on the short term) could be the answer...

Edited by Shale Searcher
  • Like 2

If Fish isnt going to be back until Mid September would it not make more sense to bring in a replacement ?

PETERBOROUGH star Ryan Fisher is facing shoulder surgery which will keep him out of action for up to two months.

The Panthers are now searching for a guest for the American star to ride at Workington in the League Cup semi-final on Sunday, and then for a permanent replacement.

Co-promoter Trevor Swales said: “It is a massive blow for Ryan to learn his season is virtually over and he will be a big loss to the club. It goes without saying that everyone at Peterborough wishes him well.

“Our first task now is to come up with a guest for Sunday and then we need to quickly assess our options going forward. We cannot even contemplate using rider replacement to cover the length of absence that Ryan is going to have.”

• Like 2

They were disastrous because Frost was expecting crowds of 2400+ which was because he had put an expensive team together, those figures were never going to happen IMO

Don't know where 2400 came from because that's totally unrealistic (pick a number like season ticket sales). I'm sure that I'd have seen it if it was said? If that team was expensive then he really was getting bad advice. They were disastrous because the team was half fit, came in cold & got turned over first night by that lot from the bird cage and then we never took decisive action to stop the slide as Frost admitted he should have done.

Edited by Crump99

I'm afraid for Speedway, it's got itself into a vicious circle in many ways... Reducing the points limit year after year, reducing the quality of racing on offer year after year, reducing the amount of shale on tracks year after year, losing paying on the door suppoters year after year, whilst increasing admission year after year, riders wages increasing year after year and you get to where we are now.

Not enough quality riders in our top division, miniscule crowds and still reducing and probably the biggest mistake is allowing the quality of the top league to be levelled off to the lowest denominating club every year, so the clubs that are actually surviving every year, building strong teams every year and are (or seem to be reasonably safe financially) get hammered year after year, reducing the quality of their product to the level of the poorest clubs in the league in the name of trying to stop the poorly run/financially challenged/poor demographics of their local population will eventually implode and Speedway will be no more..

We need the clubs to be aiming higher, and not as it seems lowering their standards to the wring end of the product spectrum.. if it means losing a team or two from the Elife League (on the short term) could be the answer...

Exactly what I have been saying for years .

......but when Poole do that they get slated!!!!

......but when Poole do that they get slated!!!!

Rather when anybody other than Poole try to do it The Mafia make then an offer they can't refuse.

• Like 1

Safe financially ? Birmingham have gone, Eastbourne look like going. I know the answer. lets invest massively in bring the big names who will bleed every last penny out of the sport and keep our fingers and toes crossed that the supporters who want this are prepared to pay for it. History suggests they will not and we will lose even more tracks

I struggle a bit with the concept that destrengthening the league means a reduction in the quality of the racing, personally I do not see the correlation

Its a difficult one for promoters (gee am I defending them) but in a declining market, its a brave man who invests in a team hoping it works, Rick Frost done it and it failed, why should it work elsewhere

No question the sport is on a spiral and not sure anyone knows what to do.....................................apart from the people who are telling everyone else they should be spending more money of course. I agree that scrimping on shale is a problem but points limit reduction for me is not the major issue.

If we really think the right strategy is to drop a couple of clubs from the Elite League then I would be concerned, looks like two are going when the costs are trying to be reduced, maybe you are thinking its another two, That if course would mean that everyone could complain about lack of variety and seeing the same team too often

I still say get rid of the top riders as the sport cannot afford them

Edited by Chris Brown
  • Like 1

Rick Frost did not fail. He tried to do it and was shafted!!

• Like 2

Safe financially ? Birmingham have gone, Eastbourne look like going. I know the answer. lets invest massively in bring the big names who will bleed every last penny out of the sport and keep our fingers and toes crossed that the supporters who want this are prepared to pay for it. History suggests they will not and we will lose even more tracks

I struggle a bit with the concept that destrengthening the league means a reduction in the quality of the racing, personally I do not see the correlation

Its a difficult one for promoters (gee am I defending them) but in a declining market, its a brave man who invests in a team hoping it works, Rick Frost done it and it failed, why should it work elsewhere

No question the sport is on a spiral and not sure anyone knows what to do.....................................apart from the people who are telling everyone else they should be spending more money of course. I agree that scrimping on shale is a problem but points limit reduction for me is not the major issue.

If we really think the right strategy is to drop a couple of clubs from the Elite League then I would be concerned, looks like two are going when the costs are trying to be reduced, maybe you are thinking its another two, That if course would mean that everyone could complain about lack of variety and seeing the same team too often

I still say get rid of the top riders as the sport cannot afford them

Mr Brown - genuine questions...

Do you...

a. Support the Panthers?

b. watch live speedway?

Edited by Flyin Panther

Mr Brown - genuine questions...

Do you...

a. Support the Panthers?

b. watch live speedway?

Genuine answers

a) No, but not sure its relevant

B) No, but not sure its relevant. I would have had my club not been decimated by appalling owners. I would love to be able to

None of this stops me having an opinion I didn't think

Don't know where 2400 came from because that's totally unrealistic.

Mr frost said this in a radio interview, think it was at the end of the 2012 season

Wouldn't an idea be to put a meeting on on a Friday, get the word out in the press and see if that improves crowd levels? Or maybe use the Peterborough website and set up a pole on which race night would you attend?

STOP PRESS.... new interval attraction at cardiff gp. ales drymel doing a hand stand and walking the whole of the gp track on his hands for charity..

STOP PRESS.... new interval attraction at cardiff gp. ales drymel doing a hand stand and walking the whole of the gp track on his hands for charity..

Must be part of his physiotherapy for his injured back.. ;)