British Speedway Forum
A ORLOV

Bt Minority Sports Person Of The Year

Tai Woffinden - 2415

Nick Matthew- 272

Ben Skinner- 260

Rachel Atherton- 242

Gary Hunt - 83

So it looks like Tai didn't just win it, he trounced it. I got this by counting the number of times each of the nominees hashtags were mentioned on twitter, so the votes are easily verifiable by anyone - thats the beauty of a twitter vote rather than email, phone or carrier pigeon.

Tai Woffinden - 2415

Nick Matthew- 272

Ben Skinner- 260

Rachel Atherton- 242

Gary Hunt - 83

So it looks like Tai didn't just win it, he trounced it. I got this by counting the number of times each of the nominees hashtags were mentioned on twitter, so the votes are easily verifiable by anyone - thats the beauty of a twitter vote rather than email, phone or carrier pigeon.

One minor query and that is to ask you if you might possibly have miscounted for I thought Tai's hashtags totalled 2416 although I might well have made a mistake of course! ;)

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 2

Shame that yet again the real reason for an awards topic gets railroaded off on minutiae

Well done Tai on your win and on coming over so well, again, on the video you sent in acknowledging the award :)

• Like 2

Shame that yet again the real reason for an awards topic gets railroaded off on minutiae

Well done Tai on your win and on coming over so well, again, on the video you sent in acknowledging the award :)

I endorse everything you say Lioness.

I asked what was a simple question - for the now answered total of votes - and "the usual gang" joined in to discount the query - probably because it was by myself, now seemingly the most "hated man on the BSF".

In the end, we got there thanks to the efforts of SCB.

Edited by Guest

I endorse everything you say Lioness.

I asked what was a simple question - for the now answered total of votes - and "the usual gang" joined in to discount the query - probably because it was by myself, now seemingly the most "hated man on the BSF".

In the end, we got there thanks to the efforts of SCB.

I very much doubt that gustix. :t:

Keep Posting - at least most of your views are interesting. :t:

I'm not saying I always agree with you - I don't. BUT - I wouldn't want anyone transferring my Post to the Sycophant Thread. :shock::blink:

Thank god that's sorted. ...... It was almost turning into an elephantman -esqe banging on about air fences thread.

Sometimes you need to do the small things well in order to make the big things happen. Well done Tai and good luck on forcing the publicity door open wide next year.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 2

Here is a comparison of the votes cast in the BBC SPOTY and the BT Minority Sports Person of the Year Award.

::::::::::::::::

The BBC SPOTY press release in regard to viewer voting:

“What a show. What a sporting year. What a winner. Congratulations to Wimbledon champion Andy Murray - 2013 BBC Sports Personality of the Year - and all the other award winners.

“Here are the voting results which show that it was a landslide victory for Murray, the Scot scoring a whopping 56 per cent of the vote”.

Andy Murray (tennis): 401,470

Leigh Halfpenny (rugby union): 65,913

AP McCoy (horse racing): 57,854

Mo Farah (athletics): 51,945

Sir Ben Ainslie (competitive yachtsman): 48,140

Chris Froome (cycling): 37,343

Hannah Cockroft (wheelchair athlete): 26,151

Christine Ohuruogu (athletics): 13,179

Justin Rose (golf): 9,833

Ian Bell (cricket): 5,626

Total: 717,454

NOTE: The SPOTY programme was watched by 14 million viewers.

:::::::::::::::

And here are the figures for the BT Minority Sports Person of the Year Award:

Tai Woffinden speedway): 2,415

Nick Matthew (squash): 272

Ben Skinner (surf boarding): 260

Rachel Atherton (cycling): 242

Gary Hunt (diving): 83

Total: 5,430

:::::::::::::

Conclusion: A difference of 712,024 votes cast overall with the BT winner polling 3,211 less votes than the lowest place BBC SPOTY candidate.

Here is a comparison of the votes cast in the BBC SPOTY and the BT Minority Sports Person of the Year Award.

::::::::::::::::

The BBC SPOTY press release in regard to viewer voting:

“What a show. What a sporting year. What a winner. Congratulations to Wimbledon champion Andy Murray - 2013 BBC Sports Personality of the Year - and all the other award winners.

“Here are the voting results which show that it was a landslide victory for Murray, the Scot scoring a whopping 56 per cent of the vote”.

Andy Murray (tennis): 401,470

Leigh Halfpenny (rugby union): 65,913

AP McCoy (horse racing): 57,854

Mo Farah (athletics): 51,945

Sir Ben Ainslie (competitive yachtsman): 48,140

Chris Froome (cycling): 37,343

Hannah Cockroft (wheelchair athlete): 26,151

Christine Ohuruogu (athletics): 13,179

Justin Rose (golf): 9,833

Ian Bell (cricket): 5,626

Total: 717,454

NOTE: The SPOTY programme was watched by 14 million viewers.

:::::::::::::::

And here are the figures for the BT Minority Sports Person of the Year Award:

Tai Woffinden speedway): 2,415

Nick Matthew (squash): 272

Ben Skinner (surf boarding): 260

Rachel Atherton (cycling): 242

Gary Hunt (diving): 83

Total: 5,430

:::::::::::::

Conclusion: A difference of 712,024 votes cast overall with the BT winner polling 3,211 less votes than the lowest place BBC SPOTY candidate.

And this from a guy who had a glittering career in this sport, and now in his dotage takes great glee out of 'liking' any old rubbish people put in posts, and delights in highlighting rubbish comparisons like the above.

Move on old fella.

And this from a guy who had a glittering career in this sport, and now in his dotage takes great glee out of 'liking' any old rubbish people put in posts, and delights in highlighting rubbish comparisons like the above.

Move on old fella.

Your response reads more like an "Attack on the Poster rather than on the Post."

Be fair - my Post is no more than a comparison of voting figures in the two polls. What is wrong with that? Some people enjoy reading such comparisons - possibly there are BSF members who will do so?

In my Post I made no comment in favour of either poll - I just itemised as they say "the facts of the matter."

Edited by Guest

Well when I phoned BT to ascertain the poll vote, I was told there were no nominee's from Any athletics field events!!!

Bom, Bom!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well when I phoned BT to ascertain the poll vote, I was told there were no nominee's from Any athletics field events!!!

Bom, Bom!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nor do I see any athletics as such in the BT Sports vote results?

Nor do I see any athletics as such in the BT Sports vote results?

That was meant to be funny! ! Results of the [ poll vote ]

Poll Vote [ Pole Vault ]

Never mind, its getting late.........

• Like 1

That was meant to be funny! ! Results of the [ poll vote ]

Poll Vote [ Pole Vault ]

Never mind, its getting late.........

Yes, I can see the humour now. As you say "Never mind, it's getting late..."

Edited by Guest

Who would ever have thought it...The BBC SPOTY which focuses on mainstream sports and is hosted by a TV channel available to all UK TV viewers provided a far higher response than a vote for minority sports on a channel available to a small minority of UK TV viewers.

Interestingly, BT Sport has an audience share of 0.2% according to wikipedia, compared to BBC's 100% That would mean that by audience share, Tai polled 3x as many votes as the BBC winner Andy Murray....WOW!!! It's amazing what you can do when you play with statistics.

• Like 3