British Speedway Forum

I understand from local shopkeepers in my area who have refused a £50 note is because forgeries are very hard to detect. I am uncertain how factual this may be?

I should clarify: I am referring to £50 sterling notes and not £50 Scottsh bank notes. My apologies for not making this more clear.

I understand from local shopkeepers in my area who have refused a £50 note is because forgeries are very hard to detect. I am uncertain how factual this may be?

It's more the case that £50 notes are still in such limited general circulation that plenty of shopkeepers and checkout-assistants hardly know what the real ones look like, never mind detecting any forgeries !! ... hence it's far safer to refuse them and it's not going to drive many customers away because so few of them are likely to turn up with a £50 note in the first place.

Most busy petrol stations will take them as they're clearly more used to transactions where it's sensible to use a £50 note given most cars cost between £60-£80 to fill up ... but given most of our bank cashpoints are designed to only dispense two types of notes after they've been refilled, it's probably still going to be a long time before they move away from usually having the £20/£10 combination and therefore the £50 note will remain a rarity for general use.

From my experience at foreign cashpoints, the 50-euro note (about £42) and the 50-Swiss-franc note (about £34) are much more commonplace.

It's more the case that £50 notes are still in such limited general circulation that plenty of shopkeepers and checkout-assistants hardly know what the real ones look like, never mind detecting any forgeries !! ... hence it's far safer to refuse them and it's not going to drive many customers away because so few of them are likely to turn up with a £50 note in the first place.

Most busy petrol stations will take them as they're clearly more used to transactions where it's sensible to use a £50 note given most cars cost between £60-£80 to fill up ... but given most of our bank cashpoints are designed to only dispense two types of notes after they've been refilled, it's probably still going to be a long time before they move away from usually having the £20/£10 combination and therefore the £50 note will remain a rarity for general use.

From my experience at foreign cashpoints, the 50-euro note (about £42) and the 50-Swiss-franc note (about £34) are much more commonplace.

Thank you. That's an excellent comment on £50 sterling notes and more plausible than the view I expressed.

Never had a problem with a €50 note.Quite commonplace.And it seems other notes shouldn't be refused as well as long as they are used reasonably.So using a €200 note for something that costs €180 is acceptable,but not for something that costs €10.Notes should only be refused if the shop can prove they don't have enough change.Sure there was something on tv recently about this and also found this link

http://www.handwerksblatt.de/handwerk/welches-geld-muessen-sie-annehmen-12757.html

Edited by iris123

I'm sure I heard recently that the £50 note was being withdrawn?? :/ Not even sure where it originated from so can't confirm if true.

I'm sure I heard recently that the £50 note was being withdrawn?? :/ Not even sure where it originated from so can't confirm if true.

I think it is a certain £50 note currently in circulation that is being withdrawn not the £50 note as a currency denomination. As usual, I stand to be corrected by wiser counsel if needed.

I am wondering why the mods are allowing such a deviation from the topic that this thread was set up for....Especially when gustix is involved in so many of these "off topic" comments...Or has he mellowed about such things in the last couple of weeks?

I came to this thread to learn about the latest news for those that are having visa trouble. Instead I found myself reading a mass of posts discussing Scottish bank notes and large bank notes....Unbelievable :o:P

• Like 8

I'm sure the Mods will put it back on track for a small consideration, say £50 (in small denomination English notes of course) :)

• Like 7

I am wondering why the mods are allowing such a deviation from the topic that this thread was set up for....Especially when gustix is involved in so many of these "off topic" comments...Or has he mellowed about such things in the last couple of weeks?

I came to this thread to learn about the latest news for those that are having visa trouble. Instead I found myself reading a mass of posts discussing Scottish bank notes and large bank notes....Unbelievable :o:P

not guilty, milud!

Check back - I did not start the debate on currency. Why select me as your target? For the main part, I only responded to other members comments on this, probably from about message 122 onwards?

Edited by Guest

Not easy trying to use a £50 Scottish note in Scotland.

Especially if it's a fresh one.

Shop staff look at you and you're thinking their wondering if you have a printing press at home.

I think it is a certain £50 note currently in circulation that is being withdrawn not the £50 note as a currency denomination. As usual, I stand to be corrected by wiser counsel if needed.

Correct, they have changed the design. Dammit will have to change my printing device.

• Like 1

Nearly ALL Threads deviate from the original subject at times Henry. Folk end up discussing something that has come up because of the Original Thread Title. They usually drift back on to Topic eventually.

To have folk slavishly sticking to the Subject would oft be boring and would put people off.

I don't think we should go down the road of denying people the right to take the Thread where it will as long as it doesn't get silly. I have found this Discussion on Scottish Banknotes extremely interesting and educative.

YOU/anyone can always bring a Thread back on Track if you wish by Posting something relevant to the Thread Title.

WE DON'T WANT TO BE OVER MODERATED.

• Like 1

Back to the topic of visa's ( I don't know if this has been said before, as all I can see is bank note posts). This whole visa issue is a good case for the BSPA to set the Team points limit a year in advance, then the teams could sign the riders early to avoid visa issues. Actually it would make a lot of sense to set all rules a year in advance so that teams could plan better for the future.

Edited by iandean3
  • Like 1

Back to the topic of visa's ( I don't know if this has been said before, as all I can see is bank note posts).

12 pages and all you can see " is bank note posts"???? :blink::rofl: Where do you start when you look at a thread.The last post or the first?