British Speedway Forum
Drop Dead Fred

Favourite Closed Tracks

Hyde Rd, Powderhall, Shawfield and Bradford

It's a shame you post so much crap

And a Happy New Year to you!

It's a shame you post so much crap as your knowledge of the sports history would be quite interesting.

Pot and kettle spring to mind I'm afraid Blazeaway. I'm sure that you too could Post some decent Posts if you gave up picking on others. :sad: :sad:

In fact I KNOW you can as I have 'Liked' some of them. :t:

Blackbird Road Leicester. What a track that was! So many racing lines and the Lions hardly ever had a home track advantage because all riders loved racing on it.

I know we have speedway back in this city these days but sadly there's just no comparison between Blackbird Road and the gate and go processions at Beaumont Park, or whatever it's called these days.

Edited by LionsDen

Carmarthen.

If standing on the back straight, it was surely the most picturesque track to watch Speedway at on a Sunday afternoon.

• Like 2

Only went to Blackbird Road twice; good racing from what I remember. The last time was in May and it snowed on the way back. What happened to Soldier Boy?

Old Meadowbank i believe it was a very big pacey track did they have the Nordic final/ British final there in 70 / 71.?

They also had the Commonwealth Games - Thats why speedway stopped at that venue

Sorry, I missed the earlier posting.

Its been touched earlier in the thread but what do you miss at these stadia other than the racing? I miss the hot dogs and home made soup at Blackbird Road!

Edited by Fanmale

Locally, Hyde Road, The Shay and Rochdale.

Further afield, Reading, Oxford and Milton Keynes

My favourites are three tracks that introduced me to speedway,and they must have been three of the roughest stadiums ever,I give you,In no particular order,Nelson,Rochdale,and the mighty Crewe !!!

Exeter (for the sheer terror of standing close to the fence on the bends!)

It truely was an, if you never went you cant imagine it sort of place. standing on the 4th bend with the rider inches from you before flicking he bike out of the corner was something else.

The farewell meeting was spectacular too, so many people there that the rickety old 2 metre spectator barrier gave in and people just pushed up to the fence. There were people leaning over between heats to take cups of shale. Madness.

Carmarthen.

If standing on the back straight, it was surely the most picturesque track to watch Speedway at on a Sunday afternoon.

That has to have been one of the best views of a speedway track anywhere, literally over looking the back straight.

Carmarthen.

A fine impression of which you can see here http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Carmarthen%20Speedway.htm if you care to scroll down the page a bit. Good photographer that fella...

Clay County Moto-Parc, Berrington Lough and an honourable mention for wee Carmarthen.

Can anyone guess & have a stab in the dark @ my favourite closed track??

Monmore Green?

• Like 2

Sadly there are far too many to mention them all but a few that stand out for me are:-

Wembley where I first saw Speedway.

I have really enjoyed trips to Hyde Road Belle Vue, The Shay Halifax and County Ground Exeter.

Trelawny was a great experience as well!

Now I'm based in Buckinghamshire it would be nice to have Milton Keynes back!

Finally, I really hope the Isle of Wight does not join the list!