British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeilWatson

Winter Cracker - Peterborough Sunday 2nd February 2014

The Christmas Cracker meeting, originally scheduled for Brandon on December 29, has been switched to Peterborough.

The winter speedway event fell victim to the weather last month, being postponed 48-hours prior to the scheduled start-time.

Now it has been confirmed there will be no motorsport activity at Coventry until March, meaning an alternative venue for the meeting had to be sought.

The Coventry promotion are involved in the new consortium which has ensured the sport will continue at Peterborough, with the Panthers set to run at Premier League level in 2014.

They will now run the meeting at the Showground on Sunday February 2, with a midday start.

2014 Coventry season tickets were to be valid at the original staging, and Bees supporters should note those tickets WILL also be valid for the meeting at Peterborough.

OP Note : Thread title amended 13/1/14 - meeting now retitled

Edited by NeilWatson

Excellent news. Will 2014 Peterborough season tickets also be valid for this meeting?

No they won't.

Could this mean a slightly stronger field with it getting closer to the season?

let's hope so as the original line up was poor
  • Like 1

let's hope so as the original line up was poor

I second that. I was blindly gonna drive up for the original staging, being starved of speedway since late October, then I came to my senses.

Slightly shorter journey for this, but it'll have to be an interesting line up for me to bother, especially as it'll be most likely freezing!

• Like 1

The Cracker admission is £15 for adults over 16.

That may hinge on if the programmes were printed for the previous date? It could also mean the same line-up.

www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk:

The East of England Showground is set to play host to a winter individual meeting on Sunday, 2 February (noon start).

The Christmas Cracker - a meeting that was originally to be staged at Coventry, where Panthers leasehold consortium leader Mick Horton is owner and promoter, on December 29 until being postponed - has now been rescheduled to be staged at Alwalton.

And Horton is licking his lips at the prospect of assembling a classy field to do battle in the city.

He said: “Everyone knows the Showground is a terrific track and we will be working hard to put together an exciting line-up.

“There will be a lot of good riders in the country at that time as they prepare for the new season and I imagine there will be plenty of people interested in taking part.

“I just know it is going to provide a great early start to the season for Panthers supporters and all speedway fans.”

Horton hopes to include a number of Panthers riders in the Cracker field.

Good news.

On the lineup front speedway is speedway whatever the lineup is. Personally i'd rather watch good honest PL riders giving it a go than some of the foreign mercenaries who have turned their back on British Speedway popping over for a bit of convenient 2014 testing at my expense thank you very much.

• Like 7

to answer two of those questions ---programmes were produced for original staging but with changes to line-up and change of venue will ask Mick what is happening ...also on line-up we are working on that now and have actually just been discussing it.

Watch this space !!

• Like 1

Im hopeful of attending and im sure a few Bees riders will be involved. Just a shame it starts early as public transport into Peterborough isnt the greatest on Sunday morning.

• Like 1

Good news.

On the lineup front speedway is speedway whatever the lineup is. Personally i'd rather watch good honest PL riders giving it a go than some of the foreign mercenaries who have turned their back on British Speedway popping over for a bit of convenient 2014 testing at my expense thank you very much.

Yes, I agree. I was quite happy with the original line up and hope it's going to be similar.

• Like 1

to answer two of those questions ---programmes were produced for original staging but with changes to line-up and change of venue will ask Mick what is happening ...also on line-up we are working on that now and have actually just been discussing it.

Watch this space !!

Hi Laurence,

Is it still hoped to stage and MDL Challenge Match between Coventry & King's Lynn.

Cheers

Mike