British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

Meetings Of Over 100 Races?

The amateur meeting at Scunthorpe on Sunday (Jan 12th) consisted of 103 races.

Does anyone else know of any other meetings took place over more than 100 races, or is this a world record?

All the best

Rob

I have no idea if its a world record or not but I do wonder how some tracks can take over 2 hours to run fifteen heats of speeday at times and 4/5 hours to run a double header.

If the amateur meetings can run 100+ heats in the best part of a day why cant some "professional" tracks run just15 heats in under two hours ?

• Like 3

I'd also love to know how often they graded the track during those 100+ heats.

I'd like to see some evidence that grading every four heats produces better racing, than say every eight heats?

I'd also love to know how often they graded the track during those 100+ heats.

I'd like to see some evidence that grading every four heats produces better racing, than say every eight heats?

More often than not, it depends on the conditions/weather etc., to how often a track is graded.

Of course it can also be used as a 'time wasting' tactic as well.

I have no idea if its a world record or not but I do wonder how some tracks can take over 2 hours to run fifteen heats of speeday at times and 4/5 hours to run a double header.

If the amateur meetings can run 100+ heats in the best part of a day why cant some "professional" tracks run just15 heats in under two hours ?

Probably because an amateur meeting with 100+ heats has much more riders and classes. With an league meeting with 15 heats you have just a few riders who do need some time between the heats... with an amateur meeting this is no problem, because there is always some other racing going on to fill the gap.

After these 103 races,who won?Or did the curfew come into play before a winner could be found? :D

It's a hell of an achievement to get so many races run, I have been to many amateur meetings and am impressed when they run half that amount. Must be a cracking team running the meetings.

• Like 1

What is the state of the track half way through or dare i ask,at the end?Interesting,because about 10 years ago we used to have a German U21 meeting in the morning and a Bundesliga meeting in the afternoon.40 or so heats.Last winter talking about what changes we would like to see in the Bundesliga etc i mentioned this and said i used to love the day.One rider or ex-rider he might be now,said the morning meeting buggered the track up for the Bundesliga!!!!! I take his expert knowledge on board,but how can riders race after a track has done 50 or 60 heats????Or is it that amateurs have lower standards or the spectators expect less?

What is the state of the track half way through or dare i ask,at the end?Interesting,because about 10 years ago we used to have a German U21 meeting in the morning and a Bundesliga meeting in the afternoon.40 or so heats.Last winter talking about what changes we would like to see in the Bundesliga etc i mentioned this and said i used to love the day.One rider or ex-rider he might be now,said the morning meeting buggered the track up for the Bundesliga!!!!! I take his expert knowledge on board,but how can riders race after a track has done 50 or 60 heats????Or is it that amateurs have lower standards or the spectators expect less?

In October 2012, Scunny had a 72-heat amateur meeting in the morning/afternoon and a 15-heat PL play-off match in the evening. Within the couple of hours between the amateur meeting and PL match, the track staff completely transformed the track, and the racing for the evening meeting was terrific.

Rob Godfrey and the track staff work miracles with the Scunny track.

All the best

Rob

• Like 5

I went to Coventry for a league match once and it seemed like over a 100 races!

• Like 1

Appalling is the best description , after 30 races there is a blue groove about 8 feet wide ,outside that is a pile of dry dust and marbles further out is a pile of damp shale about 1 foot deep , any one brave or foolhardy enough to move past the blue groove will either hit the dust/marbles and start heading for the gripppy bit which will then slam them straight into the fence , or slide off and wind up in the airbags , another good description would be downright dangerous as can be borne out by the amount of riders who get hurt in the latter parts of these meetings

Makes you wonder how they attract so many riders that they need to run 100 races, guess the guys actually doing the riding don't se it your way!

Makes you wonder how they attract so many riders that they need to run 100 races, guess the guys actually doing the riding don't se it your way!

Absolutuely , no more to be said on the subject the Omniscience has spoken

Appalling is the best description , after 30 races there is a blue groove about 8 feet wide ,outside that is a pile of dry dust and marbles further out is a pile of damp shale about 1 foot deep , any one brave or foolhardy enough to move past the blue groove will either hit the dust/marbles and start heading for the gripppy bit which will then slam them straight into the fence , or slide off and wind up in the airbags , another good description would be downright dangerous as can be borne out by the amount of riders who get hurt in the latter parts of these meetings

Jim I think you have been misled. Whilst there are undoubtedly challenges involved with running longer meetings there is no history of more injuries occurring towards the end of our meetings. There was not a hint of a blue groove last weekend because the track kept it's moisture in whilst we do have strategies for getting the best out of the track whatever the conditions.

a quick glance through the photos from this meeting and i cant see a blue grove?