British Speedway Forum
stratton

Was Penhall,s Retirement The Start Of The Decline In Speedway.?

When Bruce retired the sport seemed to be in reasonable shape, but once he retired the sport seemed to go into a downward spiral.The sport then lost alot of its superstars all within the same time span which did not help.Alot of people have there view on Bruce, i thought he was awesome for the sport and it was a massive loss when he quit.I often wonder would Hans and Erik have ever of won 7 titles between them with Bruce still about.? Maybe the sport was already being dragged down before he quit, but this is the point i believe the decline really set in.

No it was James Hunt winning the F1.

Discuss.

No I don't believe so sidney.

From a peak in the Seventies the Sport entered a slow but sure decline. There were of course times when Seasons bucked the trend but by and large the decline in Speedway began in the Seventies.

Prior to the Seventies too there had been hard times, especially when compared to the Crowds shortly after the War - I believe the formation of the Provincial League breathed new life in to an ailing Sport. Crowds increased to, as I say, a peak in the Seventies - there has been a slow and gradual decline in Speedway's fortunes ever since.

It's all very sad really.

From a peak in the Seventies the Sport entered a slow but sure decline. There were of course times when Seasons bucked the trend but by and large the decline in Speedway began in the Seventies.

Prior to the Seventies too there had been hard times, especially when compared to the Crowds shortly after the War - I believe the formation of the Provincial League breathed new life in to an ailing Sport. Crowds increased to, as I say, a peak in the Seventies - there has been a slow and gradual decline in Speedway's fortunes ever since.

It's all very sad really.

And as i know you were a big supporter of the one off final, when it went do you think that had an affect?.I will concede that the GP series is decent i enjoy it but has it improved thing,s no it has buggered our league set up no doubt about it.The PL have nearly got thing,s right a good product i enjoy it and thing,s at that level should be fine in the future.The EL has alot to do in my book,overall the racing is not great the same old tracks no variation also this year with the NL riders it is a massive call.I hope it works out though with a few young Brits getting a chance and improving but is the EL a 17 quid night out now.? Edited by sidney

And as i know you were a big supporter of the one off final, when it went do you think that had an affect?.I will concede that the GP series is decent i enjoy it but has it improved thing,s no it has buggered our league set up no doubt about it.The PL have nearly got thing,s right a good product i enjoy it and thing,s at that level should be fine in the future.The EL has alot to do in my book,overall the racing is not great the same old tracks no variation also this year with the NL riders it is a massive call.I hope it works out though with a few young Brits getting a chance and improving but is the EL a 17 quid night out now.?

The Grand Prix Series did NOTHING at all to help British Speedway. The 'one off' World Final (at Wembley) did at least put some money in to Speedway's coffers. I do believe though that Speedway's decline had started long before the Grand Prix Series. The Grand Prix Series has, to my mind, hastened that decline. :sad: :sad:

• Like 2

I think several things have sped the decline ... Alternative pastimes, speedway not moving with the times, lack of dirt, poor racing, poor stadium facilities ... but going back to the original post i think Bruce was a superstar in every way and we have a lack of personalities these days. Darcy Ward is a crowd puller and someone like Greg hancock is superb with the fans. Bruce was a phenominal rider and conducted himself well in the press but i think his rivalry with kenny carter added spice to meetings. The last big rivalry was Hans v Erik. The sport needs some fresh new ideas to pull in new spectators or someone with a lot of money to pour into the coffers to advertise and promote it properly.

I think the demise of GB as world number 1, and the Yanks and Danes taking over in the 80s was the main factor in fans losing interest.

Crowds started tumbling mid-80s onwards. They certainly had some big crowds at Blunsdon late 70s/early 80s, over 16000 on one Crumpie Golden Helmet occasion! Poor facilities and stuck in the past, and got too expensive, and poor value-for-money as it is today.

Edited by Mad Moose

Penhall's antics at the white city tarnished his reputation in a lot of peoples eyes.

I was there i liked all of the Americans so i never took alot of notice but it was a disgraceful act you would not believe that a PC or Lee would let anybody through.

I think it was the beginning of the end when they started letting foreigners ride in the UK. And it got even worse when they started letting foreigners ride for Great Britain.

jokers, guests, gp rides goin awol on rce nights, doubling up, atmospheres, poor pa"s, decline in crowds, stadiums still in dark ages, all this and more not hlping matters,,,i also think the play off system stops fans travelling,,if your laying comfy in the top 3, away losses are no big deal as you only need a top 4 finish,,id bring back golden helmet match race under the old formula where its challenged 1 time a month,,the days of individuals are no longr a draw,,blue riband, star of Anglia, olimpque, no longer the same as fields reatlly watered down

• Like 2

jokers, guests, gp rides goin awol on rce nights, doubling up, atmospheres, poor pa"s, decline in crowds, stadiums still in dark ages, all this and more not hlping matters,,,i also think the play off system stops fans travelling,,if your laying comfy in the top 3, away losses are no big deal as you only need a top 4 finish,,id bring back golden helmet match race under the old formula where its challenged 1 time a month,,the days of individuals are no longr a draw,,blue riband, star of Anglia, olimpque, no longer the same as fields reatlly watered down

You forgot Double Points. :shock: :shock: :shock:

• Like 1

You forgot Double Points. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have changed my mind WK, double points have to stay! no only joking i hate it as much as you do.
  • Like 1

having watched the penhall/carter collision, LOADS of times in slow motion and real speed, I still couldn't say with conviction

who id exclude...at a push penhall, due to him looking for carter during that race, turning left down the straight, and I THINK, flicking his back wheel at last second,,,,1 moment wouldn't wanna be a ref

having watched the penhall/carter collision, LOADS of times in slow motion and real speed, I still couldn't say with conviction

who id exclude...at a push penhall, due to him looking for carter during that race, turning left down the straight, and I THINK, flicking his back wheel at last second,,,,1 moment wouldn't wanna be a ref

Carter was so unlucky and who knows thing's could of turned out so differently for him. It was 50/50 but Penhall was very lucky he got the call no doubt about that, that incident was on a par with the Nielsen/Knudsen incident in 86. Edited by sidney