British Speedway Forum
Woz01

Elite Riders Championship - 25/09/2014

I'm bit out of touch with this forum these days, so sorry if someone has suggested this before......

Can't we get Barry Hearn to run the sport for a couple of years. He'd pull this sport apart and put it back together bigger and stronger (in spite of a number of egos with vested interests). For sure, messes like we've witnessed today would be a thing of the past.

As you cant fix something thats not broken Mr Hearn's services would not be required the BSPA are always saying everything in the sport is "HunkyDory"

I don't share peoples concern about the state of the track. Its been crap now for some time, and the BSPA knew that when they decided to run the meeting there. Once that decision was taken and knowing the recent history of the state of the track, you would have thought someone in authority would have taken the event on board to ensure there was no venue problems and the event went off without a hitch. The fact there was no one to oversee says a lot about the organisation....

They say 'Your reap what you sow'

My biggest gripe was how they ripped off the supporters to the tune of £25.00 a head knowing the event was doubtful. then told there was no refunds.... That is scandalous ......unforgivable. I knew someone, who checked the weather yesterday before he drove 100 mls, brought 2 tickets at £25 plus a program, only to learn from a steward that the meeting was off. Then spent an hour getting out, before getting home at 9 o'clock. Cost him nearly £100 for nothing.

And all Bert Harkness can say is 'SORRY'... Talk about a P... up in a brewery, they haven't got a clue........... And you wonder why people don't go anymore......

Edited by GRW123
  • Like 4

Having to use the stadium track man makes no sense. Let him do all other events, but employ your own track staff for the speedway, and tell him to go make a cup of tea and read the paper while the Bees track staff do the track they way they want it.

Currently it's like me running my shop, but the property landlord telling me I must have his guy working on the till.

Utter none sense.

• Like 2

He is a taxi driver who has used the tractor in Poland but never lay or prepared a track before

He's a lot more than just a taxi driver... However, he prepared the track and continued the work on it during the best Grand Prix in modern days at Bydgoszcz last year... The blame doesn't solely lie there... A lot of other people have got to take a look at themselves with this farcical situation.

Even if Horton wanted to have his own track man the stadium wouldn't go with it. The stadium run many different events during the course of a year, they are NOT going to let an non employee of the stadium work on the track. The track makes a lot of money for the stadium so it makes sense for them to have there own team. Whoever is the owner has made a huge mistake getting rid of the old track curator. As mentioned above he produced a decent track for P&P.

Think you'll find the same guy prepared the track for P&P as well

I don't share peoples concern about the state of the track. Its been crap now for some time, and the BSPA knew that when they decided to run the meeting there. Once that decision was taken and knowing the recent history of the state of the track, you would have thought someone in authority would have taken the event on board to ensure there was no venue problems and the event went off without a hitch. The fact there was no one to oversee says a lot about the organisation....

They say 'Your reap what you sow'

My biggest gripe was how they ripped off the supporters to the tune of £25.00 a head knowing the event was doubtful. then told there was no refunds.... That is scandalous ......unforgivable. I knew someone, who checked the weather yesterday before he drove 100 mls, brought 2 tickets at £25 plus a program, only to learn from a steward that the meeting was off. Then spent an hour getting out, before getting home at 9 o'clock. Cost him nearly £100 for nothing.

And all Bert Harkness can say is 'SORRY'... Talk about a P... up in a brewery, they haven't got a clue........... And you wonder why people don't go anymore......

I think he's doing the Royal "we" when he apologises; commonly known a **** all to do with me or the BSPA but I'm obliged by my position to take the flack. Nothing like the "Elite" in fact nowhere close to it :)

• Like 1

I think he's doing the Royal "we" when he apologises; commonly known a **** all to do with me or the BSPA but I'm obliged by my position to take the flack. Nothing like the "Elite" in fact nowhere close to it :)

At least a full refund is being given regarding tickets.Small consolation though,the sport is on its knees.

Like others I initially assumed the Coventry Promotion must be mainly to blame. But it’s starting to look different now. Mick Horton had many things to control whereas it appears these two presumably paid roles are specific appointments to ensure the track was properly prepared. My reading of this is neither were appointed or controlled by the Coventry Promotion.

14.6 The main duties of the MEETING STEWARD (appointed by the SCB) are:

* consultation with the Staging Promoter, Meeting Coordinator and Meeting Referee

on all matters relating to the staging of a Meeting and especially at any time when

the staging or continuation of a Meeting is in doubt.

14.6.1 A Meeting Co-ordinator will ensure the Staging Promotion has carried out track preparation in a manner that enhances the prospect of a Meeting taking place, especially in times of inclement weather. S/he must attend the Briefing Meeting and be involved in all discussions concerning track preparation, including those concerning a possible delay, postponement or abandonment. Upon instructions of the Meeting Steward will communicate any decisions regarding delaying, abandoning or curtailing a Meeting to the TV Company, Press and Public.

The investigator needs to start by speaking to these two. Who were they?

Who is undertaking the investigation for the BSPA - someone respected as neutral and competent? Will their report be published?

• Like 1

Having to use the stadium track man makes no sense. Let him do all other events, but employ your own track staff for the speedway, and tell him to go make a cup of tea and read the paper while the Bees track staff do the track they way they want it.

Currently it's like me running my shop, but the property landlord telling me I must have his guy working on the till.

Utter none sense.

For once, I totally agree with you.

• Like 1

Charles Ochiltree ran such a professional outfit at Coventry when he ran the club. Look at it now. British Speedway needs people like Ochiltree to run clubs. Not the mish mash we have now!

Short memory? What did he do to Leicester

• Like 3

Short memory? What did he do to Leicester

Agreed also at West Ham...now a less than nice housing estate

Who gave these assurances, it wouldn't have been Mick Horton, as so many want to suggest. The responsibility of the track prep is nothing to do with him! When will some of you get that it to your heads FFS. He IS not responsible for the stadium, that is down to the landlord ( whoever it is now) it was Sandhu. Has the sale gone through?

Last year we had Colin Pratt in charge of the track prep..Where did he go?

I heard he was employed by Sandhu to repair the big hole that appeared on the first/second bend a few weeks ago. He's probably fallen in it