British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
James 12345

Riga Gp Tickets 2014

It looks like RIga has the 'Brazilian World Cup Stadium' syndrome at the moment as there seems to have been a 'pause' in the progress of refurbishing the stadium.

Sportowefakty reported a couple of weeks ago;

"We reported in mid-November, in the sorry state it is "Bikernieku complex SportaPro Baze" located at Eizensteina Town. Later, at the end of last year we reported that something had moved to the preparation and on the oval stadium picking up a few hundred tons of Norwegian dolomite . Because we have the Riga his messengers, with full confidence we can say that since then the arena, where in less than five months to race the best players in the world, it has literally nothing!

More recently, in an interview granted to our portal Andrew Lebedev asked about the disturbing stagnation in the preparation of the stadium said: - Everything will be ready for 100 percent., I'm sure. You can do wonders."

Oh well at least we don't have workers dying during the construction.....ummm! are there any workers actually on site?

Do we have any Latvian fans on here who have updated news regards the condition of the stadium now? I noticed in the last batch of photos intended to show what had been done that the seating appeared to be the same rotting wood and crumbling concrete. Somehow i don't think they will be ripping it out (ok or sneezing near it so that it falls over and can be swept away) and replacing it with modern stadium seating. Although if they do all credit to them.

Edited by manchesterpaul

Stadium located at Eizensteina Street.

"We reported in mid-November, in the sorry state it is "Bikernieku complex SportaPro Baze" located at Eizensteina Town.

Sportowefakty reported a couple of weeks ago;

Notwithstanding that Sportowefakty is the Pravda of OneSport, it looked like a bit of a tall order to turn that 'stadium' into something half-fit for a GP.

Yesterday I was at the stadium - no changes

http://www.radikal.ru

But outside the track we have great .achievement, already selected Miss Speedway 2014

http://ru.focus.lv/7-uchastnic-7-chlenov-zhyuri-i-5-vyhodov-u-kazhdoy-devushki-chtoby-dokazat-chto-imenno-ona-dostoyna

Sorry text in Russian, but photo - International

MOD NOTE-Again please do NOT post very large photos, just links

As it's the next GP and we've heard nothing more, is it safe to assume that the stadium improvements and track prep are all in hand and will be complete in time. Rather apprehensive about booking the tickets.

Having experienced two disasters at Gelsenkirchen and Gothenburg I don't want to make it a hat-trick!

RIGA promoter was in Cardiff last weekend assuring everyone that everything is okay ... BSI reps going there on Tuesday for a final check.

Taxis in Riga: All the taxis have their prices printed on the side of the vehicle. By far the cheapest are 'Panda' taxis. They can be up to 300% cheaper than some of the other firms.

Buses, trams, trolleys: These are a set fair of 1.50 euros I think payable to the driver, however 98% of passengers buy travel cards at one of the many 'Narvessen' newsagents. 3.6 euros for 5 rides, 5.6 euros for 10 rides approx. The tickets are valid for all 3 forms of transport. When you board the vehicle you must scan your card immediately on one of the scanners on the bus. There are inspectors who board the transport to check tickets have been scanned and they have a reputation for being aggresive if you have not paid.

JUST received an email with photos (don't know how to include one here ... any advice?) from Steve Saint, who directs the TV operation at SGP events, who has been in Riga this week. The stadium is unrecognisable from even a few weeks ago.

Says Steve: "The stadium has gone and is still under-going a huge revamp after several years of not being used. The track itself actually is part of a bigger motor racing complex with a proper race track at the back of the pit area that is still used today. I believe they have a round of the European drift Championships next month ahead of the Grand Prix arriving."

Steve's photos show the new fencing, track and grandstands ... a bit like the stadium in Gorican. Looks very neat and tidy now. The Latvians want the Speedway World Cup in 2015 and Riga would make for an ideal staging city that would surely attract a lot of external visitors.

JUST received an email with photos (don't know how to include one here ... any advice?) from Steve Saint, who directs the TV operation at SGP events, who has been in Riga this week. The stadium is unrecognisable from even a few weeks ago.

Says Steve: "The stadium has gone and is still under-going a huge revamp after several years of not being used. The track itself actually is part of a bigger motor racing complex with a proper race track at the back of the pit area that is still used today. I believe they have a round of the European drift Championships next month ahead of the Grand Prix arriving."

Steve's photos show the new fencing, track and grandstands ... a bit like the stadium in Gorican. Looks very neat and tidy now. The Latvians want the Speedway World Cup in 2015 and Riga would make for an ideal staging city that would surely attract a lot of external visitors.

one photo can be found here: https://twitter.com/speedwaystarmag/status/491876557539909632

I HAVE just about managed the art of tweeting a photo on the Speedway Star feed but have no idea how to attach one to a post on here ... will tweet a couple more on the SS site

Have just seen the photo and it looks a lot better than the pictures I seen a few months back.

Have just seen the photo and it looks a lot better than the pictures I seen a few months back.

COUPLE more up there now. Looking good... although we have yet to learn how the track rides but the shape seems excellent

• Like 1