British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
James 12345

Riga Gp Tickets 2014

Got an SMS saying meetings postoned till sunday 3PM.

Really? Is that because of the weather or just the track is rubbish?

Really? Is that because of the weather or just the track is rubbish?

rain from what I've heard is the root cause and more rain is expected.

Edited by Ghostwalker

Must be the track if there changing the venue?

They are due thunderstorms all day today so probably think it will be a safer bet to move it.

• Like 1

Lots of unqualified negative comments on here. The world is full of experts, it just they can never show it.

Well, those "experts" have got this one spot on. Ouch!

Eurosport have two live events tomorrow afternoon so TV coverage might have to wait for the evening slot allocated to highlights of the event plus last week's SEC.

The Polish version of the ELRC is also scheduled for tomorrow so that's going to be affected.

Edited by rmc

Some pics here: https://twitter.com/dmu_sport pics are taken yesterday.

To me it looks like it rained so much that they even needed to pump the water away.

@JamesFalcons, sure but the track condition is a result of the rain.

It rained yesterday, it rained the day before yesterday and there are rain and

like woz01 said, there are thunderstorms expected for the afternoon and evening:

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/LGXX0004

As I said yesterday, no track without a roof would have managed to keep this in good condition.

I'd rather see that they cancel it and move it to a dry track then stubbornly having the gp

on a soaked track like the GP at Ullevi3-4 years ago where it started to rain before the GP started

and continued to rain throughout the entire GP.

Edited by Ghostwalker

PUTTING my hands up to be shot at but...

heavy rain here now (13.20 local time). Huge logistical hurdles being overcome to move the whole operation to Daugavpils. Five hours to de-rig TV stuff, then four hour drive... riders loading up and heading off ... frantic efforts to find accommodation and change flights ... chaos.

But it was the right and only decision ninth end. Riders felt that the track was not fit for racing and that wouldn't change even if the weather was kind, which it isn't.

Feel very sorry for Vladimir Ribniks the local promoter who has made such a huge effort to put Riga on the speedway map. Obviously there will be an inquest and maybe things could have been done better with the benefit of hindsight. But rider safety is paramount and that was the deciding factor.

Start time 1pm uk time tomorrow-can`t see that Eurosport will be able to show it live-Maybe Quest ?

Quest is wide open - showing a complete run of 'Salvage Hunters' all day. That could just be a 'fix' for UK viewers since I'm unsure if Quest is carried in other European nations.

Edited by rmc