British Speedway Forum
ColinMills

Riders Who Draw In The Crowds

I was never keen on Rickardsson and can only illiterate what others have said quick whilst in front but never did much from behind

Sounds like Nicolai Klindt modelled himself on him.

I was never keen on Rickardsson and can only illiterate what others have said quick whilst in front but never did much from behind

Have you watched the 1991 world final?

He did more overtaking than the rest of the field put together!

Quite simply the best speedway rider ever.

Edited by Telboy68
  • Like 1

I was just about to post a similar thing. I didnt watch a lot of t Rick, but from memory in both the 91 and 94 finals he needed to do a lot from the back. Was he, like olsen, a rider who's gating improved a lot over his career, to the extent that he becsme a lot less exciting to wstch as an increasing numbet of his victories came from the tspes?

I've seen many posts on this thread mentioning riders from the golden age of the 70's and 80's.

Yet surprisingly I haven't seen one mention of the "cowboy" John Cook!

Easily one of the most entertaining riders of the 80's.

• Like 1

I was just about to post a similar thing. I didnt watch a lot of t Rick, but from memory in both the 91 and 94 finals he needed to do a lot from the back. Was he, like olsen, a rider who's gating improved a lot over his career, to the extent that he becsme a lot less exciting to wstch as an increasing numbet of his victories came from the tspes?

I think he said himself he wasn't much of a gater early on and he taught himself how to gate. (Maybe there's hope for Chris Harris!)

The first time I saw him was at Wimbledon in 89 or 90 in an open meeting.

I remember him hugging the line and doing quite well.

Quite simply the best speedway rider ever.

T-Rick could certainly come from the back when required and was one of the great riders.. best ever, not close.

Not utterly dominant in league racing like the true greats were, plus rode in a somewhat easier era and most of all for a portion of his career was given a massive massive advantage due to the GP format in place at the time.

• Like 1

I've seen many posts on this thread mentioning riders from the golden age of the 70's and 80's.

Yet surprisingly I haven't seen one mention of the "cowboy" John Cook!

Easily one of the most entertaining riders of the 80's.

Remember him having great battles with Alan Grahame and Shawn Moran at Wimbledon at the world games tournament in 85.

T-Rick could certainly come from the back when required and was one of the great riders.. best ever, not close.

Not utterly dominant in league racing like the true greats were, plus rode in a somewhat easier era and most of all for a portion of his career was given a massive massive advantage due to the GP format in place at the time.

Don't know how you can say a six times world champion isn't close to being the best rider ever!

Every rider had the same opportunities in the gp, Rickardsson won more races because he was the best rider.

• Like 1

Remember him having great battles with Alan Grahame and Shawn Moran at Wimbledon at the world games tournament in 85.

Don't know how you can say a six times world champion isn't close to being the best rider ever!

Every rider had the same opportunities in the gp, Rickardsson won more races because he was the best rider.

No, you are wrong, every rider didn't have the same opportunities in a GP.

For starters, other all time greats never rode in a GP. Had GP's been around, some of them would have won more World Titles.

Secondly, Rickardsson didn't even have to win more races in some seasons, it was almost handed to him on a plate in the farcical system used. Each rider wasn't given the same opportunity, THAT was the problem.

• Like 1

For me and in no particular order:

Peter Collins

Peter Craven

Jason Crump

Kelly Moran

Thankfully all have graced the red, white and black race jacket.

Cant believe what i am reading here! Tony Rickardsson was just a gater what a load of tosh!!!!

He was supreme out of the starts that is true but if like me you had the pleasure to watch him week in week out he was scintillating when missing the gate.

1994 World Final when he passed Nielsen in the run off.

Cardiff gp riding the wall of death on the first bend

Seriously people get a grip

• Like 4

No, you are wrong, every rider didn't have the same opportunities in a GP.

For starters, other all time greats never rode in a GP. Had GP's been around, some of them would have won more World Titles.

Secondly, Rickardsson didn't even have to win more races in some seasons, it was almost handed to him on a plate in the farcical system used. Each rider wasn't given the same opportunity, THAT was the problem.

You can't base your argument on "had gp's been around", the fact is they wasn't so no one knows what would have happened.

Saying world titles were almost handed to him on a plate is ridiculous, were the other riders told "you're not allowed to beat Tony!"

You can't base your argument on "had gp's been around", the fact is they wasn't so no one knows what would have happened.

Saying world titles were almost handed to him on a plate is ridiculous, were the other riders told "you're not allowed to beat Tony!"

Wrong, we know pretty much exactly what would have happened.

Riders like Egon Muller and Jerzy Szakiel (excuse spelling) would not have won World Titles and those titles would have gone to the top riders around at the time.

The other riders weren't told not to beat T-Rick, but there was an era when they were told, sorry but T-Rick gets first gate pick every race.... a quite significant advantage. I don't think the competition he faced during that period was all that hot either, compared to other eras.

I'm not and I doubt anyone will say T-Rick wasn't a great rider, but he in my opinion wasn't at the level of dominance of a Nielsen/Mauger etc.

Edited by BWitcher

Old days Shawn and Kelly Moran though Martin Goodwin was my first favourite rider. Now Emil,Tai,Holder and Ward. Ive never taken to Hancock great rider but boring hell.

• Like 1

Cant believe what i am reading here! Tony Rickardsson was just a gater what a load of tosh!!!!

He was supreme out of the starts that is true but if like me you had the pleasure to watch him week in week out he was scintillating when missing the gate.

1994 World Final when he passed Nielsen in the run off.

Cardiff gp riding the wall of death on the first bend

Seriously people get a grip

I never said he couldn't pass,i just said myself personally he never really appealed to me as a rider.As Witcher said i couldn't rate him higher than Mauger,and Nielsen also he certainly would be behind Briggs,Fundin,Olsen in my opinion as you said though Gavan he was a great rider.