British Speedway Forum
ColinMills

Riders Who Draw In The Crowds

I recall ole olsen especially coming to your track, penhall, lee, etc, riders that would get you talking before entering the stadium, another thing we don't have today..

will woffys world title get local newspapers hyped up when hes in town?.......don't see that happening, but tracks where hes appearing should jump on the bandwagon nowadays

I recall ole olsen especially coming to your track, penhall, lee, etc, riders that would get you talking before entering the stadium, another thing we don't have today..

will woffys world title get local newspapers hyped up when hes in town?.......don't see that happening, but tracks where hes appearing should jump on the bandwagon nowadays

When I started going to speedway the big drawcards at the London tracks in the late1940s were visits by legtrailers Oliver Hart and George Newton. Another in a near similar mould was Dick Harris.

Both names that I am certain do not mean much to modern fans but many of us remaining oldies probably still get a tingle in the spine when they recall this trio.

Edited by Guest

Always remember it was a bit special when Belle Vue came to town with Collins, Morton and Wilkinson. Cradley were the Belle Vue of the early eighties and I looked forward to there visits.

As far as individual riders go I'd say Ole Olsen and Ivan Mauger were top of the list. Woffinden? Yes it's good to see him but the riders these days don't seem to carry the same aura as they did in yesteryear, or maybe it's because I was a lot younger and a bit more excitable in those days?

• Like 3

It is said that Michael Lee would put a 1000 people on the gate, whenever he rode at Lynn. Because of this, it must have been very difficult for the Promoters, to penalise him, knowing the effects a ban would have on the finances..

Going back to the day of the 5 yr ban, Lee was riding for Poole then, and the crowds at Saddlebow Road had dropped alarmingly. This night, with the return of the prodigal Son, the place was heaving. Just like old times. Everybody had come to have a good night, all except for the joker who pretended to the Referee.

Because of his personal vendetta, he picked on Lee at the first opportunity and ruined every supporters night out, when things went astray. He banned him from the meeting, when a bit of common sense should have prevailed. That ref that night, done a lot of unseen damage to the sport, as supporters turned their backs on the sport for good. I could name at least 20 people who haven't been to speedway since that evening. Total Carnage.........

• Like 1

.!!

It is said that Michael Lee would put a 1000 people on the gate, whenever he rode at Lynn. Because of this, it must have been very difficult for the Promoters, to penalise him, knowing the effects a ban would have on the finances..

Going back to the day of the 5 yr ban, Lee was riding for Poole then, and the crowds at Saddlebow Road had dropped alarmingly. This night, with the return of the prodigal Son, the place was heaving. Just like old times. Everybody had come to have a good night, all except for the joker who pretended to the Referee.

Because of his personal vendetta, he picked on Lee at the first opportunity and ruined every supporters night out, when things went astray. He banned him from the meeting, when a bit of common sense should have prevailed. That ref that night, done a lot of unseen damage to the sport, as supporters turned their backs on the sport for good. I could name at least 20 people who haven't been to speedway since that evening. Total Carnage.........

John Eglese ! that night put speedway back years,basically ruined Lee,s career i know he contributed himself alot towards that but aged 25 finished.Also Frank Ebdon ruined many a night when he was referee was all about himself stop go stop go no rythem to the meeting.When i first started going the excitement for me was always seeing the visitors no 1 everyone had a good one.And often you might only see them ride once a year unless you went to international and individual meetings. Mauger always got a feisty reception at the Abbey i admired how he took the flak MR PROFESSIONAL always put loads on the gate.Remember a Robins v Exeter meeting when Mauger had Killer Kilby off the crowd went mad and he had to be sneaked out of the stadium great days.But going back to recent years seeing Jason,Gollob,Adams( everyweek) (ect) was just as exciting as with watching Ward everyweek must be also. Edited by sidney

These days? Darcy Ward

Years ago, Geoff Pusey, just for the 2 hours of booing we could give him.

• Like 1

These days? Darcy Ward

Years ago, Geoff Pusey, just for the 2 hours of booing we could give him.

Didn't you like his sideburns?

I would think Mauger was the biggest draw in my past with the likes of Penhall, Olsen and Briggo running him close.

Recently I would feel much the same about watching Adams, Crump, Gollob, Holder, Ward, Harris and recently Woffinden. They won't generate the same anticipation because the crowds are so much smaller but they are more exciting to watch than the first list in my opinion. These days riders seem to be on the very edge so much more often than in the past.

Didn't you like his sideburns?

Nah, he was just MIddlesborough's panto villan at the time. I can't even remember why we took against him.

The sad fact is that there are probably only 3 riders in the elite league i would pay to watch. The elites leagues best 2 riders in Woffy and Iversen and then Darcy for the entertainment.

Gone are the days when you could get excited for elite league matches. I remember going to Foxhall watching Tony and Gollob and Ermolenko and Correy or Hancock and Hamill . There would be 5 or 6 races a meeting where you would look forward to the racing. Now each team seems to have an out and out number one (Ward, Zagar, Tai, Iversen, for example) who should walk all over other riders in 99% of matches.

Lets hope the race format means Tai and Ward will meet 4 times. Who wants to see Ward against Wells for example

Edited by Gavan
  • Like 2

Must admit to being a little shocked at how poor the EL teams look this year.Ok,i knew they would be using some young guys down at reserve,but when i looked at the teams a few days ago there were only 3 teams i would really be interested in seeing

• Like 1

The sad fact is that there are probably only 3 riders in the elite league i would pay to watch. The elites leagues best 2 riders in Woffy and Iversen and then Darcy for the entertainment.

Gone are the days when you could get excited for elite league matches. I remember going to Foxhall watching Tony and Gollob and Ermolenko and Correy or Hancock and Hamill . There would be 5 or 6 races a meeting where you would look forward to the racing. Now each team seems to have an out and out number one (Ward, Zagar, Tai, Iversen, for example) who should walk all over other riders in 99% of matches.

Lets hope the race format means Tai and Ward will meet 4 times. Who wants to see Ward against Wells for example

Good point Gavan surely these top boys have to meet at least three times a meeting how will the averages work?If a reserve moves up on a inflated average he will be totally out of his depth surely say Ward v Iversen or Woffinden might compensate that. I know not everything has been decided yet but young Brits( if they move up into the top 5? god some of them could suffer will these young Brits have tp move up into the top 5?

Good point Gavan surely these top boys have to meet at least three times a meeting how will the averages work?If a reserve moves up on a inflated average he will be totally out of his depth surely say Ward v Iversen or Woffinden might compensate that. I know not everything has been decided yet but young Brits( if they move up into the top 5? god some of them could suffer will these young Brits have tp move up into the top 5?

draft riders wiil stay at reserve all year and wont be given an average at all.
  • Like 1