British Speedway Forum
ColinMills

Riders Who Draw In The Crowds

Jackson was a terrific rider i see him ride for Wolves i think he went full time? he was a rider at NL a real star not quite as good as Joey though Tom before he broke a leg nearly on par three great riders.

Never went full time with Wolves double up and you are right that Joey had an edge but IMO that is what sadly led to his losing the use of his legs ,a little too brave for his own good.As for Tom IMO he was with out doubt another great rider but a little to physical for my liking an never quite as good as Joey and Jacko.

Never went full time with Wolves double up and you are right that Joey had an edge but IMO that is what sadly led to his losing the use of his legs ,a little too brave for his own good.As for Tom IMO he was with out doubt another great rider but a little to physical for my liking an never quite as good as Joey and Jacko.

I think he rode for Wolves in 76 he did double up, i just felt his heart was not in the BL he averaged 4.95 mainly in the top five not bad and he certainly was a BL rider.J.Owen was a star no doubt Jackson,Etheridge,and Lawson stood out as stars for me in that sphere.

Most of this thread just confirms the older fan base speedway has, most are living in the past!

Current entertaining riders Pedersen and one of the best I've ever seen on a bike Mr Gollob along with Ward, all would get me parting with my money.

• Like 1

I think he rode for Wolves in 76 he did double up, i just felt his heart was not in the BL he averaged 4.95 mainly in the top five not bad and he certainly was a BL rider.J.Owen was a star no doubt Jackson,Etheridge,and Lawson stood out as stars for me in that sphere.

John Jackson was tremendous for Crewe 'Kings' as I remember.

Most of this thread just confirms the older fan base speedway has, most are living in the past!

Current entertaining riders Pedersen and one of the best I've ever seen on a bike Mr Gollob along with Ward, all would get me parting with my money.

Sorry if you feel we are all living in the past ,your choice of riders are top entertainers in todays sport but IMO s/way of the 70's was just that bit special and had an abundance of " must see "riders in the British league .Maybe the problem is today that many of the top riders do not frequent our leagues for a multitude of reasons not least the GP'S. Gollob is pretty special on his day and I love watching Peter Karlsson sadly both have the clock ticking on their respective careers.

Sorry if you feel we are all living in the past ,your choice of riders are top entertainers in todays sport but IMO s/way of the 70's was just that bit special and had an abundance of " must see "riders in the British league .Maybe the problem is today that many of the top riders do not frequent our leagues for a multitude of reasons not least the GP'S. Gollob is pretty special on his day and I love watching Peter Karlsson sadly both have the clock ticking on their respective careers.

Me too. :t::approve: :approve:

Has nought to do with age or living in the past. Each decade has had its great entertainers who deserve a mention, the seventies to many is the golden era as there were so many top quality, spectacular riders who actually had some sort of charachter, sadly today far too many are too clinical, shy away from any sort of controversy and in effect become boring. I would pay money every day of the week to watch Gollob, Jonsson, Pedersen, Ward, Sayfutidinov, Hans Andersen. Every era has had them it's just that other era's were loaded with them, today thats simply not the case.

Has nought to do with age or living in the past. Each decade has had its great entertainers who deserve a mention, the seventies to many is the golden era as there were so many top quality, spectacular riders who actually had some sort of charachter, sadly today far too many are too clinical, shy away from any sort of controversy and in effect become boring. I would pay money every day of the week to watch Gollob, Jonsson, Pedersen, Ward, Sayfutidinov, Hans Andersen. Every era has had them it's just that other era's were loaded with them, today thats simply not the case.

I quite agree there are such riders today just abit thin on the ground .

I agree that there were great riders in the past, I loved watching PC, and have some great ,memories from that time, however time and the sport has moved on and going on about old riders is not going to attract new supporters. I agree that many shy away from controversy but is it not the sport to blame with its newly brought in penalties for bad behaviour.

I had lots of non speedway fans saying about the scrap beetween Nicholls and Emil. Maybe the sport should allow the ref;s some leeway at times, after all it is a high adrenalin sport. The fans used to love a shout at a rider kicking off on the centre green and it all added to the atmosphere. I'm sure there are lots of riders out there who would love to wind the crowd up, but are not allowed to do so because of the penalty they may incurr.

Watching the new motor racing film RUSH about Nikki Lauda & James Hunt brought home how far things had moved on, and how cosseted and clinical todays drivers are. It's the car that win's the championship not the driver.

I think with speedway now the riders are going so fast its extremely difficult to pass and the skills of the rider are lost along with the entertainment.

I agree that there were great riders in the past, I loved watching PC, and have some great ,memories from that time, however time and the sport has moved on and going on about old riders is not going to attract new supporters. I agree that many shy away from controversy but is it not the sport to blame with its newly brought in penalties for bad behaviour.

I had lots of non speedway fans saying about the scrap beetween Nicholls and Emil. Maybe the sport should allow the ref;s some leeway at times, after all it is a high adrenalin sport. The fans used to love a shout at a rider kicking off on the centre green and it all added to the atmosphere. I'm sure there are lots of riders out there who would love to wind the crowd up, but are not allowed to do so because of the penalty they may incurr.

Watching the new motor racing film RUSH about Nikki Lauda & James Hunt brought home how far things had moved on, and how cosseted and clinical todays drivers are. It's the car that win's the championship not the driver.

I think with speedway now the riders are going so fast its extremely difficult to pass and the skills of the rider are lost along with the entertainment.

There is a lot in what you say however older fans going on about the good old days IMO has nothing to do with putting younger or new fans off the sport.That blame IMO can be firmly laid at the feet of those that run this sport of ours.,I won't bang on about my views on this because it is thread about entertaining and crowd pleasing riders.I repeat myself they are there today just a little too well hidden as it were.

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 2