British Speedway Forum

A Question Of Sport

Whilst we are on the subject of speedway riders on the tele does anyone remember 'Superstars' (hope it was called that!) back in the 80's I think. Dave Jessup, Bruce Penhall and I'm pretty sure Peter Collins as well took part in that. I've still got some black/white photos of Bruce, which I also downloaded to one of my Speedway albums on Facebook, taken back in the day when he was young, blonde and handsome. :wink:

Indeed Gemini. Peter Collins finished second to Hans Van Helden in his heat in 1977, not long before the injury that ruined his world final chances

And some Eastbourne(?)riders appeared in a film called Eating Dust i think.Never saw it though :P

And some Eastbourne(?)riders appeared in a film called Eating Dust i think.Never saw it though :P

Yes can't understand what happened with that, it all seemed so plausible as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes can't understand what happened with that, it all seemed so plausible as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh - but did yo0u put any money in to it????

Didn't American Bobby Ott appear on it?!

No.

Whilst we are on the subject of speedway riders on the tele does anyone remember 'Superstars' (hope it was called that!) back in the 80's I think. Dave Jessup, Bruce Penhall and I'm pretty sure Peter Collins as well took part in that. I've still got some black/white photos of Bruce, which I also downloaded to one of my Speedway albums on Facebook, taken back in the day when he was young, blonde and handsome. :wink:

Peter Collins certainly appeared on Superstars and did very well.

As far as I can recall he was the only speedway rider to appear on it. Fairly sure Jessup and Penhall didn't.

Jessup was on a golf programme though. Either Pro-Celebrity Golf, or Around with Alliss

No.

As far as I can recall he was the only speedway rider to appear on it. Fairly sure Jessup and Penhall didn't.

Jessup was on a golf programme though. Either Pro-Celebrity Golf, or Around with Alliss

Dave Jessup is a near regular on the ProAms and ProCeleb circuit for TV. He was always on the Bobby Robson ones for example. I believe after speedway he was county standard at Golf.

Edited by Tsunami

Trying to think which riders I have seen on QOS, I'm sure there have been a few. Certainly Kenny Carter and Hans Nielsen. Hans got the winning answer on his appearance (and it was a football question!)

I try to avoid the programme now, it's like a scripted comedy show.

So presumably you never watch Only Fools and Horses, Blackadder, Vicar of Dibley etc as they are all scripted comedy shows. Mmm? Odd reason for not watching something which is, after all, a light hearted quizshow. It's not Mastermind or University challenge.

• Like 1

No.

Bruce Penhall did appear in Superstars.

Back in 1982 he missed his first ride in the Golden Hammer at Cradley because he was late arriving after filming his episode that afternoon.

Ole Olsen was on some dance programme.....in Denmark

Dave Jessup was on, dare I say it, Jim'll Fix It.

Well he is vertically challenged. :wink::shock: :shock: :rofl: :rofl:

No.

You may be correct about Jessup but you're definitely not about Penhall and I have the photos to prove it. :lol:

Very nice ones of him with George Best, Geoff Capes and Brian Jacks etc. and photos of him canoeing, weightlifting, cycling, running etc. I seem to recall a rider getting on a bicycle and then falling off straightaway. Was that Collins?

You may be correct about Jessup but you're definitely not about Penhall and I have the photos to prove it. :lol:

Very nice ones of him with George Best, Geoff Capes and Brian Jacks etc. and photos of him canoeing, weightlifting, cycling, running etc. I seem to recall a rider getting on a bicycle and then falling off straightaway. Was that Collins?

Pretty sure P.C. did fall off a push bike in Superstars. Seem to remember him doing pretty good at weightlifting, and I think he was in the same heat as Geoff Capes and finished ahead of him overall.

Don't remember Michanek on Superstars, but that will have been a bit before my time.

Don't remember Penhall doing it either, and he's not on the list posted by The Abbott above, so that one's got me puzzled

Pretty sure P.C. did fall off a push bike in Superstars.

That was Kevin Keegan

Edited by KEITH M