British Speedway Forum
stratton

The Best Brits.

This for me was the hardest thing to do,to pick the 12. greatest British riders of all time.Did not include Farndon ( ect)Just from Parker and Freddie onwards here goes no order. Craven, Parker,Freddie,PC, Lee,Loram,Simmons,Ray Wilson,Ashby,Louis,Morton,E.Boocock,

Edited by sidney

Nigel Boocock

Eric Boocock

Peter Collins

Brian Crutcher

Gordon Kennett

Peter Craven

Dave Jessup

Simon Wigg

Martin Ashby

Split Waterman

Ken McKinlay

Jack Parker

In rough chronological order I'll go for Tom Farndon, Jack Parker, Eric Langton, Tommy Price, Split Waterman, Freddie Williams, Brian Crutcher, Peter Craven, Nigel Boocock, Peter Collins, Michael Lee, Mark Loram.

Reserve team: Roger Frogley, Arthur Atkinson, Frank Charles, Bill Kitchen, Ron How, Ken McKinlay, Ray Wilson, John Louis, Dave Jessup, Malcolm Simmons, Martin Ashby, Eric Boocock.

• Like 1

In rough chronological order I'll go for Tom Farndon, Jack Parker, Eric Langton, Tommy Price, Split Waterman, Freddie Williams, Brian Crutcher, Peter Craven, Nigel Boocock, Peter Collins, Michael Lee, Mark Loram.

Reserve team: Roger Frogley, Arthur Atkinson, Frank Charles, Bill Kitchen, Ron How, Ken McKinlay, Ray Wilson, John Louis, Dave Jessup, Malcolm Simmons, Martin Ashby, Eric Boocock.

Two EXCELLENT Teams there Norbold - difficult to disagree with any of your choices. I might be tempted to put Tai Wooffinden in your first Team in place of Brian Crutcher.

Brian Crutcher in to your Second Team in place of Frank Charles.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

I will just restrict it to people from the modern era that I either saw of knew about growing up.

Peter Craven (never saw him sadly) Peter Collins, Doug Wyer, Gary Havelock, Mike Lee, Simon Wigg, Dave Jessup, Tiger Louis, Mark Loram, Kelvin Tatum, John Davis, Kenny Carter.

Yes, I considered Tai, but thought it's just a bit too early. Hopefully in years to come it will be as unthinkable to leave him out of a top 12 or top 10 or whatever as PC. But I just feel at the moment he needs to show that last year was not just a one-off.

One other rider who just missed out was Arthur Forrest.

• Like 1

Yes, I considered Tai, but thought it's just a bit too early. Hopefully in years to come it will be as unthinkable to leave him out of a top 12 or top 10 or whatever as PC. But I just feel at the moment he needs to show that last year was not just a one-off.

One other rider who just missed out was Arthur Forrest.

Ah yes. 'The Black Prince'.

In truth I had forgotten about him. To my shame.

Interesting that Terry Betts doesn't make a lot of peoples choices. Moreover, the controversial Kenny Carter doesn't even get a sniff! :o

depends which era you watched speedway, I'm more 60s/70s, and would go for Craven, Collins, Ashby, Wilson, the Boocock Bros., Betts, Louis, Jessup, Simmons, Morton, Lee, as I've seen them ride.

Edited by Mad Moose

I will just restrict it to people from the modern era that I either saw of knew about growing up.

Peter Craven (never saw him sadly) Peter Collins, Doug Wyer, Gary Havelock, Mike Lee, Simon Wigg, Dave Jessup, Tiger Louis, Mark Loram, Kelvin Tatum, John Davis, Kenny Carter.

Going for the same era (mid 70s onwards with an exception for craven?) I'd go for a similar list but swap out wyer tstum and davis for tai simmons and the mighty mort.

Cant argue with the first 12, snd understand your reason for omitting tai (and presume similat logic governd omisiion of havelock). Carter is the interesting omission for me, I certainly would rank him ahead of the likes of ashby and boocock who with all due respect were never close to being the best rider in the world.

Interesting that Terry Betts doesn't make a lot of peoples choices. Moreover, the controversial Kenny Carter doesn't even get a sniff! :o

Betts,N.Boocock,Carter,Wigg were the ones who just missed out for me.

Going for the same era (mid 70s onwards with an exception for craven?) I'd go for a similar list but swap out wyer tstum and davis for tai simmons and the mighty mort.

Cant argue with the first 12, snd understand your reason for omitting tai (and presume similat logic governd omisiion of havelock). Carter is the interesting omission for me, I certainly would rank him ahead of the likes of ashby and boocock who with all due respect were never close to being the best rider in the world.

Carter better than Ashby i don't think so,he might of been had he had a full career but apart from his BLRC wins and his win with PC he never actually did it.Also i would also say Carter was never ever obviously the best ever British rider at any given time in my book.Dont get me wrong i was a big Kenny fan i see his BLRC wins loved watching him ride was he the best TEAM man ever?i actually think he underachieved he failed at Wembley,Norden and the Coliseum.

Betts,N.Boocock,Carter,Wigg were the ones who just missed out for me.

Carter better than Ashby i don't think so,he might of been had he had a full career but apart from his BLRC wins and his win with PC he never actually did it.Also i would also say Carter was never ever obviously the best ever British rider at any given time in my book.Dont get me wrong i was a big Kenny fan i see his BLRC wins loved watching him ride was he the best TEAM man ever?i actually think he underachieved he failed at Wembley,Norden and the Coliseum.

Carter was indisputably the best british rider in 82 and 85 and possibly 81. You omitted his two british titles, one on a broken leg.engine failure at wembley, the fall in la - id say he only undrlerachieved in norden to be fair, though he was still only a point behind lee.

I picked him 4 hours before your post.

I was a regular at Halifax during his era and he was awesome round there.

Never liked the bloke and was shocked by what he did but a hell of a rider.

His bust ups with Penhall were great to watch.

I did not pick Tai as he has just started and will likely emerge as a great Brit. His dad certainly wasa great rider to watch so he comes from good stock :)

Edited by pandorum
  • Like 1

In no particular order (riders I have seen).

Michael Lee

Malcolm Simmons

Peter Collins

Chris Morton

Gordon Kennett

John Louis

Kenny Carter

Dave Jessup

John Louis

Eric Broadbelt (maybe not one of the greats but always exciting to watch).